It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US companies targeted in Russian-linked cyber-attack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   

200 US businesses have been targeted by Russian-linked cyber-criminal groups in a “colossal” ransomware attack, a cyber-security firm announced on Friday.

Huntress Labs said the attack hit Florida-based IT company Kaseya and spread through its corporate networks that use its software.

Kaseya said it was investigating a “potential attack”. Russia-linked hackers REvil were the perpetrators of the hack, Huntress Labs said.
REvil was blamed by the FBI for a hack last month that downed operations at JBS – the world’s largest meat supplier.

It was also blamed for an attack on nearly two dozen local governments in Texas in 2019.

A link to a sky news article about the same attack.

US companies targeted in Russian-linked cyber-attack

These cyber attacks seem to be getting more aggressive and more frequent and Russian seems to be behind a lot of them.
Is this the new beach head, is this the state of warfare now? If you haven't got the military hardware that's fully up to the job or the money to support a full scale war, then you bring down your enemies infrastructure from within the virtual world saving yourself casualties and money. All you need is a few rooms full of hackers as your front line troops.
Putin and the GRU must know this group exists behind their boarders, in my opinion Putin's government must sponsor this group.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   
1. I doubt this is Russian in origen. I figure it's something much bigger.

2. Yes, this is the state of warfare, and it has nothing to do with "If you haven't got the military hardware that's fully up to the job or the money to support a full scale war..." This is modem warfare. They can do at least was much damage to an enemy's economy and infrastructure with much less collateral damage and much less of an upfront expense. Think of it as economies of scale warfare.

3. I believe that WWII has been waging around us for years now but nobody has wanted to admit it.

This attack is nothing less that what 9/11 was, and I feel fairly certain it's coming from more or less the same place.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You can see hackers seeking a payout, but it's rather underwhelming how many Russian boogeymen the left tried to float turned out to be totally fake news, fact is, venom at Putin for expressing support of the Russian Orthodox Church and traveling around with a Bible in his airplane. You peek around the corner, seems you never really nail a Russian, but, sure as all hell, there's slew foot and his little sock puppets from the left, doing their fake news, slander thing. Imagine they find Putin, a real man, scary as all hell, too. Fear of the Russian boogeyman is also the bread and butter of the CIA, the impetus to justify ever larger heaps of money thrown at bureaucrats, that live to grow their agencies' empires, if they were to bankrupt the nation, in a death by a thousand slices of pork. Ironic it all boils down to who can walk into the cocktail party, with a strong pretense of being one of the big dogs, that can pee in the tall weeds, politics and what's in it for me towering over the welfare of your nation. If an all tranny Army and systemic racism in the military would get an invite to the cocktail party, a nod from Creepy Joe, your safety would be turned over to pervs and a strategy of bitch slapping the enemy. Mr. Putin must be enormously amused, how we're devolving into a whiny, un-American people, more concerned with declaring our anuses sex organs, institutionalizing crotch confusion, in a rage to "peacefully protest" our own cities to ashes. Maybe he will cut back on the Russian defense budget, since we're doing such a stellar job of destroying ourselves, crapping our own beds. I imagine there are "an American walks into a bar" jokes, surfacing in other nations.

edit on 3-7-2021 by Scrutinizing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
Is this the new beach head, is this the state of warfare now?

When the Commander-in-Chief insists on having the weekend off and only talking about "happy things", it makes the new beaches that much easier.

These attacks need to be answered as the acts of war on the homeland that they are, not condemned in a press statement. Unfortunately this head-in-dark-places administration is unlikely to do anything; shutting down fuel to an entire COAST barely moved the meter, I'd hate to see what'd merit a real response.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
1. I doubt this is Russian in origen. I figure it's something much bigger.

2. Yes, this is the state of warfare, and it has nothing to do with "If you haven't got the military hardware that's fully up to the job or the money to support a full scale war..." This is modem warfare. They can do at least was much damage to an enemy's economy and infrastructure with much less collateral damage and much less of an upfront expense. Think of it as economies of scale warfare.

3. I believe that WWII has been waging around us for years now but nobody has wanted to admit it.

This attack is nothing less that what 9/11 was, and I feel fairly certain it's coming from more or less the same place.

I'm going to disagree with you here.

This has all of the hallmarks of a Russian hacking gang doing something for money of for prestige. They are targeting a high value economic target that has little or no statedefense relevance, and which won't actually do any lasting damage to the US economy. It looks big and flashy and it sends a message to other hacking groups that this particular hacking group is good enough to go after a security company.

It's the hacking equivalent of a gang killing a cop to prove it's power o other gangs.

9/11 came from Saudi. Simple as that. America was heavily interfering with Saudi affairs at the time and was supporting an unpopular government. Bin Laden wanted to strike at a flashy target, which is why he chose the twin towers, he wanted to send a message against America's lifestyle as well as against America.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

originally posted by: Kurokage
Is this the new beach head, is this the state of warfare now?

When the Commander-in-Chief insists on having the weekend off and only talking about "happy things", it makes the new beaches that much easier.

These attacks need to be answered as the acts of war on the homeland that they are, not condemned in a press statement. Unfortunately this head-in-dark-places administration is unlikely to do anything; shutting down fuel to an entire COAST barely moved the meter, I'd hate to see what'd merit a real response.

Tump was no different. He denied the Russian social media campaign during the elections.

It turns out that the Russians were promoting black gun ownership and all kinds of things to great division.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   

link   

link   
a reply to: john234356

bad

link   

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Russian propaganda has pretty much destroyed american culture, they have ripped that country in two.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Russian propaganda has pretty much destroyed american culture, they have ripped that country in two.

< facepalm > No. Place blame where it's been earned, and belongs.

Antifa, BLM and 3rd wave feminism are so stupid as to burn their own house down and say it's for the betterment of their living conditions. No foreign help needed there, they are that brain-damaged & Darwin's doing fine with his disciples. There's a reason why I despise all three there with a strong unwavering surety, and boogeyman Russian influence ain't it.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
When we have a weak President and a an entire Democrat system that basically used Russia as a boogeyman, what did y'all expect?

Russia clealry doesn't respect the power that's in control and is clearly bulldozing the tepid responses by this Administration.

This happened under Trump as well, just nowhere near as bad because Trump meant business.

The foriegn powers know this admin is a sham, why we're getting hit up in our tech industry.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   

edit on 3-7-2021 by wheresthebody because: I shouldn't be rude

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Judging by that sound bite of a comment, I would say their propaganda has worked pretty well.
That's such a low info response, bro you're not woke and just as easily compelled with domestic propaganda as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

< facepalm > No. Place blame where it's been earned, and belongs.

Antifa, BLM and 3rd wave feminism are so stupid as to burn their own house down and say it's for the betterment of their living conditions. No foreign help needed there, they are that brain-damaged & Darwin's doing fine with his disciples. There's a reason why I despise all three there with a strong unwavering surety, and boogeyman Russian influence ain't it.

It's incredible how what we're clearly, obviously, doing to ourselves, by twisted policies, that it makes it ludicrous to even try to hand off the blame. I keep getting back to it must be pharma and stupid pills.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
To a few of the members who have commented, as another poster pointed out, this stinks of Russian hacking just like the previous hacks on American cloud infrastructures that support their economic targets, its now their modus operandi, just like poisoning is now and has been since the KGB days with poisoned tipped umbrellas.

I haven't been on ATS for a while, I see it's still full of Trumpeteers either blind to or supporting Russian propaganda that helped start America's infighting!

I understand that this is now part of modern warfare but it's also a cheap way to attack a perceived enemy or threat without loss of life or money and without consequence if you get away without leaving a trace.

America also had a weak President previously who allowed Russia to get away with influencing an election and turning a blind eye to hacking efforts and propaganda.

edit on 3-7-2021 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join