It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End Is Nigh

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yes folks, the end is nigh.

I think I have become alcohol intolerant and my nose is currently running and my eyes are itchy. A headache is on the way I'm sure.

I was out for a walk earlier in the cool clean night air, looking for my elderly cat who was unusually late for his dinner and was nowhere to be found in the garden as usual. When I was out I was happy to be getting good lungfulls and absolutely no problems. It's beautiful out there tonight, stars and birdsong.

After about half an hour I got back home to see "Duke" sat on my chair grinning at me and an empty food bowl. Bless him.

I cracked a beer and now I feel crap. Last night I had a bottle of red wine and it was worse. An all night sniffle session.

Alcohol is not something I have ever considered as a reason for this but perhaps my age and the fact that my mum had the same problem and hasn't drunk for years means it is heredetory.

Obviously I will have to experiment further and with many different types of beer (and wine) . Perhaps it's a quality issue because the wine last night and the beer tonight are cheapo. Could be nonsense BUT I HAVE TO TRY. The eurofizz at the local bar always gives me a headache even after one pint. Another connection.

Is it the end of the world? I love beer. Still, mother nature will provide in other ways and if a higher quality makes a difference I will not have to kill myself just yet or submit to being the obvious designated driver on nights out.

I've had the sniffles many times before but never made a connection to alcohol. Luckily it's not an allergy but just an intolerance and if it IS alcohol I can rest assured I won't have as many sleepless nights in future if I lay off it so that would be a relief.

I don't drink to excess any more since gravity, a flight of stairs, and a few minutes of not being able to move coupled with a sore backside let me know my limit.

I'll try guinness in a can and go from there. Wish me luck.

Anyone else have an alcohol intolerance with similar symptoms and any advice?

Sniff! A reluctant "cheers".

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I get this once in a while with my favourite local beer. The brewer said it happens sometimes with certain batches of hops and certain allergies.

With wine, I'm sure it could be the same. I'd switch to gin if I were you.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I'd switch to gin if I were you.

Amen to that.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I can't drink something that smells of Grannys and old people.

I tried.

Not a Spirit drinker either.

What about "Mead", anyone tried that? I love honey.
edit on 3/4/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Listen to Mike's call. The harder.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'd rather chew pine needles.

Yuck.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Agreed. I have an autoimmune condition which flares up with inflammation similar to hives when I drink beer or wine (especially red wine), and a flare-up can last for weeks or even months, so I usually just avoid drinking entirely. If I really want a drink, spirits in modest quantities are usually fine. If I use a mixer, it must have low- or no sugar.

I'm literally allergic to beer and wine!

ETA: But NOT gin! Ugh. I'm a tequila gal, or sometimes vodka.

edit on 3-4-2020 by OuttaHere because: Added a statement about my aversion to gin...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If you drink so much you pass out, you’ll find your sinuses aren’t the problem. 🥃🥃

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'll try cider too and see if that's OK.

I have plenty of apple trees here and would love to make cider instead of having apples squished on the floor because of the abundance.

Hmmm?...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Could be worse?

I knew a fellow, when I was younger, that when he drank beer, his tongue would literally turn black, and swell up.
It was the craziest thing.
Mostly because he was dumb enough to keep doing, to show people.

Somehow, he is still around.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

After I quit drinking, half a beer gives me a headache and make me feel terrible the next day. Cant say it has given me a runny nose, but wouldnt surprise me either.

I suggest maybe a couple shots of Vodka just to warm up. I reckon you will skip right over the first step

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hmm, now I've got a thirst a brewin....

Got hard lemonade ahh

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I used to love reds but now the tannin in the reds doesn't seem to work with me anymore. Some people do get sensitive to tannin and red wine is full of it. For me, it now gives me acid reflux really bad not long after.

Oddly enough, all of my once favorite beers now do the same.

Mead is always good but it can turn a gut upside down if you're sensitive to bee vomit (too much sugar stuffs). Most people don't have this issue but I have been known to have an issue with motor functions when I've imbibed too much.

Now, I enjoy a good, tasty and very smooth American Bock... Shiner For some reason, it doesn't give me acid reflux at all and it's very good to my taste buds. If I don't have a Shiner around, I'll go for a Ziegenbock. I don't really care for anything else. I can't stomach Guinness or even Dos equis or any other kind of beers, light or dark and in between, that I have ever tried.

Good luck with your search!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I get this once in a while with my favourite local beer. The brewer said it happens sometimes with certain batches of hops and certain allergies.

With wine, I'm sure it could be the same. I'd switch to gin if I were you.

Aha! I was prepping my response in my mind while reading this, the very first reply to the OP. I was going to say, hops can be a definite trigger for allergy symptoms. Sometimes it certain kinds, or the particular preparation/ concentration. Try a good hearty IPA and see if it kicks your butt. If it does, try something very light on hops and see if its much less-so / not at all.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

What about "Mead", anyone tried that? I love honey.

Do you like champagne? Mead is very similiar in taste and mouth feel. Quite high in alcohol content as well, so just a few will do.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
When I couldn't drink anything else I could drink Guinness don't know if that helps you but it makes me want one LOL

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

My local watering hole used to serve Shiner Bock. I'm not into IPA's as I find them mostly bitter but they are all the rage these days and to find something in the brown area these days is kinda hard. A nice beer that didn't upset my stomach. I was happy.

Then they sold the bar and the new owners took it out.

No matter now as it's closed like everything else.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Alcohol is a histamine chemistry or increases stored histamine in the body to be released. It can make you create more mucous. There are lots of dead rotting leaves outside, it can trigger spring allergies. Alcohol can make it more evident.

The end will be near when you run out of beer. You will have to venture out to buy more or your drinking will end.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Alcohol is a histamine chemistry or increases stored histamine in the body to be released. It can make you create more mucous.

Yup, that sounds about right.

A few hours later and I still have a runny nose and dry itchy eyes too.

Kinda looking forward to getting a good selection on my next venture from lockdown to the supermarket.

There's a bar not far from me run by a dutch guy who brews his own beer. I'll see what happens with his ale. Good traditional non fizzy beer made from quality ingredients and reliable.

Could be just the alcohol that gets me though.

Ho hum. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

Sniff!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
Yes folks, the end is nigh.

I was out for a walk earlier in the cool clean night air, looking for my elderly cat who was unusually late for his dinner and was nowhere to be found in the garden as usual. When I was out I was happy to be getting good lungfulls and absolutely no problems. It's beautiful out there tonight, stars and birdsong.

Cool clean night air, might just be the problem!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join