It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail apocalypse continues

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here's an interesting question... if these companies are going out of business solely because of internet sales are there numbers that directly correlate between the 2 to show the similar rise/ decline?

Left Wing Faux News

Some of the United States’ most prominent retailers are shuttering stores in recent months amid sagging sales in the troubled sector.

A list of 24 big retailers being affect currently.

Pasadena

Arts and crafts retailer Michaels announced it is closing 94 of its Aaron Brothers framing stores this year including all of its Southern California locations as it integrates those services into its Michaels stores.

Apparently everyone is buying their arts and crafts on Amazon.

So is it really just Amazon stealing everyone business or is there something else going on?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's just the NWO's plan working.

No reason to freak out.

/sarcasm

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Without looking at any data I'm going to Hazard a guess and say its more than just Amazon, it's people don't have enough money to keep buying new stuff, the days of the boomer spending sprees are over.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The brick and mortar has most know it is a fading business model in most types of retail. In this case fashion and specialty electronics.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
no matter what "THEY" say, we are in the grips of a depression.
our money is worthless, just look at what is happening!

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Amazon steals business how?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Aside from speculation is there any verifiable evidence that can indicate a conclusion that can be drawn?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Stores no longer sell items that sit on shelves for ages. They only stock items that sell quickly.

Enter on-line stores that do stock the more unusual items.

Where will you shop?

How many times do you go to a store only to find that what you want is not stocked because the stock does not move quickly enough for the bean counters.

This is the real reason. They do not care about what customers want.

On-line stores have a much greater demographic and thus will stock items that are slow sellers.

Add to that, and as an example, when was the last time you went to a hardware store and found a knowledgeable sales person? They sell a limited range and pay peanuts for staff and then lament drooping sales.

They have themselves to blame.

P

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
no matter what "THEY" say, we are in the grips of a depression.
our money is worthless, just look at what is happening!

Everything is great;

DOW Jones.

Everybody is getting rich!!

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I looked at that list of 24 stores....and I've never heard of about half of them.

OF those I have shopped, often you cannot buy off the rack if you are tall, for example.
They only have so much in inventory....so you have to go to their online store....or another online outlet.

We actually buy from Penney...they still have quality clothing....although they seem not carry much in the way of bootcut jeans.

As much as I like Amazon, I don't often buy clothing.
I still like to see what I am buying, and/or know how sizes run.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I can't buy jeans online because of my build. My legs are abnormally large I can only wear the Levi's athletic brand of jeans so I have to go try them on everytime

damn all those sprints and deadlifts

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

If these branded stores go on the Internet for sales, then they have to compete with everyman and his dog who are doing the same thing to make a buck. The first thing anyone goes to is EBAY, then they hit the free shipment button when they have put in their search term. Guess what? China has a free postal system. Along with that, the self same items can be fractions of the price that can be bought from any store in America. Any retail item that is price sensitive is in trouble, because you can get them at source .You only have to be patient waiting for delivery. Retail in America is dying, along with jobs.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

But dude, there is so many trade jobs out there that these people can all be plumbers and electricians and make great money, there is so much fricken opportunity out there it's crazy

they don't even college degrees just learn a trade! everyone!

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yes but what about women, and more elderly? they have faced massive change in circumstances over the last decade.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

they need to update their skills and take personal responsibility, pick themselves up by their bootstraps and seize the day!!!
edit on 24-3-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Remember, tax is a big incentive to buy online. But they won't let that slide too much longer I fear.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I don't think its gonna matter much after Monday, the Dow futures are showing a lot of fear, if you haven't any money , your not going to call an electrician or plumber.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

well, there is going to be so much opportunity that pops up from emerging markets we won't have to worry about it, I just finished building walls around my castles what happens in the neighborhoods they are in doesn't matter, I'm good

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Where I live they let in stuff up about 600 dollars because it cost more to get the tax than to just let it go. The moment an item is stopped they start to have to pay wages. China makes sure the cost of the item on the declaration is below the taxable level, a grey area but it costs to police.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Amazon is an online market place that allows small stores across the USA to sell across the USA via Amazon. So it is really allowing shoppers to find the cheaper store.

It also depends on how prosperous the buyers are. My local town has a denim store that sells £200 jeans with designer labels. They are still in business. But they don't have items in my size. I can order online from a shop in Birmingham and have the items delivered next day. I'd either have to wait until the weekend and spend £80 to take a train up to Birmingham. My other choice is an out-of-town shopping center. I live downtown and used to have a reverse commute out to a industrial estate. That meant I couldn't go anywhere until the weekend since shops closed at 5pm and I didn't get home until 6.30pm. So it made for sense for me to shop online.

Even with the out-of-town shopping center, they are really only interested in the teenage market, since they are the ones with the most spending money. Amazon is my first choice when looking for rare or in-demand items.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join