It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While you were all focused on BTC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Do you think they will be in consumer hands before the black market?

I'd like to think that if q computing is the problem, it will also provide the solution. However how much fraud and theft will happen during.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Qtum and QRL are doing well.

IOTA is also doing pretty good.

My requirements for a cryptocurrency are:

Wide distribution and open access.

Quantum resistance or ability to implement quantum resistance.

Scalability.

Consistent Speed regardless of volume and scale. Right now Ripple is the fastest transaction and has one of the lowest fees among the top ten. Except for IOTA which carries zero transaction fees.

The currency MUST SOLVE A REAL WORLD PROBLEM. The VAST majority of cryptocurrencies do NOT solve problems or operate on networks that can solve problems. Most are simply used as an exchange for what amounts to money laundering, are a scam coin(there are over 1200 cryptocoins, some of those are scams), or simply exist without a vision for growth or use in the future.

The real value of a cryptocurrency is in what it helps to accomplish. If that is NOTHING, then I won't invest in it.

You'll notice that regulatory compliance and decentralization aren't in there. Because those things don't actually matter to me with regard to investing in digital currencies, per se. The environment allows for the mutual existence and interoperability of both classes of cryptocurrency and both classes are legitimate investment opportunities where a lot of money can be made.

Ripple, in my opinion currently fills that role for me.

QRL and IOTA are also systems that fill those roles for me as well.
edit on 31 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: chr0naut

Do you think they will be in consumer hands before the black market?

I'd like to think that if q computing is the problem, it will also provide the solution. However how much fraud and theft will happen during.

I believe uptake will exceed production capability, forcing price escalation and that is the only moderator of uptake.

The winner of the competition is the one who out-produces his competitors and maximizes ROI.

Which will mean the initial Qtech will most likely be expensive, poor quality and disposable crap.

The tech will become stable and reliable later as prices normalize and pretty soon will be so pervasive that we will forget that we once didn't have Qprocessing (did you realize the the first IBM PC was in 1981 and the World Wide Web started in 1991?).

edit on 31/12/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Some wallets with lack of security features as well.

Quantum can't hack an air gap either:

The Ledger Wallet Nano S is what I use. Hardware wallet. Many different wallets can be used with it. Need to use a chrome extension to download wallets to the Nano. Plus you need the desktop wallet.

When the Nano isn't plugged into the computer it is simply not powered. It is the perfect air gap. Removing the chip results in the destruction of all data. It's the most secure wallet out there.

edit on 31 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The real value of a cryptocurrency is in what it helps to accomplish. If that is NOTHING, then I won't invest in it.

Completely agree. However, the problems, aimed clientele, holders and direction of Ripple hit a principled no go for myself.

Iota is neat and innovative. Whenever the try to expand, more problems arise. Conversely this is a great way to build I suppose.

I would put compliance in my own personal list. Reason being is that I would like to legally cash out some someday.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum
I don't see Gold prices rising at the same rate as BTC, but if you're looking for stability, I totally agree.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I would put compliance in my own personal list. Reason being is that I would like to legally cash out some someday.

Then how do you square that with this:

Completely agree. However, the problems, aimed clientele, holders and direction of Ripple hit a principled no go for myself.

XRP is regulatory cooperation. What clientele do you think would come with that?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

edit on 31-12-2017 by neo96 because: nevermind

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Working with or for is the difference to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Working with or for is the difference to me.

Well, the banks have to buy the technology and a piece of the network from Ripplenet.

Not sure what you mean. Ripplenet's CEO has stated that global, cross-border, instant payments are the problem his company aims to tackle. Ripplenet is selling them the means to do that both by the use of a secure blockchain network that is scalable and a coin with enough market capitalization and spread to cover global liquidity instead of having banks park cash indefinitely to meet those demands.

That means loans could get cheaper around the world, which would mean greater economic expansion. I'm looking at 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order of effects here.

For IOTA, I would say start buying it now. When automation takes off IOTA will be what drives that sector of the economy. I'm willing to bet IOTA is already making deals integrating their system in preconsumer-stage products. I expect to see companies that build motherboards for gaming and home systems start to integrate hardware wallets and accompanying encryption into their products. Don't you think IOTA is gonna take advantage of that reality?

This is just the introduction to the preface of the beginning of how much innovation is going to come out of technologies like blockchain or IOTA's Tangle ledger system.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
In my attempts to acquire Ripple from the UK, I was met with Cryptomate & Gatehub being pretty much unworkable, Coinbase being... well not involved, Poloniex being awkward as I signed in on a iMac/Chrome– they couldn't validate my ID from my iMac's webcam due to focus, plus I'm shut out after an attempt of just trying to log back in on Safari, so I've been left in limbo after 2 weeks of trying to get some. I tried to transfer some of my Bitcoin through Poloniex but they didn't want to know until I talk to them and validate (days/weeks). Any other advice?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: firesnake

Currently, all of the exchanges have massive backlogs in South Korea, China, the EU, and the US. If you're trying to get in on the exchanges now you're going to wait a few weeks. Regulations require verified identities to transact in these countries for exchanges.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Look at stellar lumens similar, kind of. It is at a record price of .40 cents a coin.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Reddcoin, Ripple, Stellar Lumens, Cardano, and Verge are the coins I have an interest in.

I also want to get into digitalnote and/or Tron (thanks ttobban). I need to get on to another exchange as I use coindbase and bittrex.

I really like ripple and am surprised by the acceleration in it's value. And a small portion of a XRP (ripple's name for a coin) is removed from circulation with every transaction. That is a very very important point to the massive number of coins that were minted.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

OK thanks for the heads up. If a personal admin verification would take over once the webcam ID fails then maybe the process speeds up with an admin's touch...wishful thinking. Well that's the only way on the only platform here so gotta try.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That is a very very important point to the massive number of coins that were minted.

Yes it is.

It's a built-in stability control.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

If anyone knows a secure legit process, I could help acquire some crypto for folks.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

If I understand the chain of events now with a bank sending fiat, it takes 3 business days and cost at least $25, the tech is from the 1960's.

If a bank uses ripple (xrp) the coins fly magic like using the net from the bank to the person, bank, customer on the other side of the earth in 4 seconds. And maybe the dollars can comes out the other end in what ever denomination needed. Now it's been a while since I got down and dirty with the research, and I have looked at 100's of coins. Ripple sending xrp is faster, cheaper and much more secure. That is why i invested 3 months ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm posting this here for people to research and read about:

The most widely used term for digital currency: Credits
Claim to have the fastest transactions, and a host of other positives.
Was even on bitcointalk celebrating their ICO here: Credits ICO

Now, this looks promising. The terms "credits" has been around for decades. Its used in entertainment, banking and finance, video games, and relatable in every aspect of money. Is it just another crypto claim? Or will this be what everyone is hyped up to knock all contenders down? I see value in all crypto-coins and with XRP as well. But can they deliver?

You decide!

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Most top coins can be used for instant liquidity. The network is not secured by miners buy by a few nodes. Small points of failure.

To be clear, even though that is the point of the op, I'm not a fan of bitcoin per say, just the security and crypto aspects over ripple.

The purposes of most coins is the same. Currency, cryptography, security and adoption.

Ripple, to me, is not among the best besides adoption as it's valuation would suggest. However there remains no way to truly know given ripples infrastructure.

Again, not saying it won't or will be on Coinbase, just adding a little water to your kool aid.

Simply being in crypto is the benefit.

Speed, cost and transactions per second are the issues for most coins. Ripple is fast at seconds and is scale-able at 1,400 transactions per second today and is something like .0004 cents or xrp (can't recall) per transaction.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join