It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radioactivity a complete non-issue on West Coast: Also for Fukushima locals, in fact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
[Edit to add] While this does technically qualify as a Breaking News Story, I have found that posting anything related to this event will almost immediately end in the Japan Forum. I would like to offer this thread for those who see there are many more ways than one to examine a topic... hopefully it will remain here, where I feel it belongs. [End edit]

A new study carried out in the "radiation zone" areas just outside the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan has confirmed that the lifetime health risk to people living there from the damaged power plant is so small as to be undetectable. Naturally, Californians almost 5,000 miles away are still terrified for their own safety.

Source

From the "That's what you get for thinking for yourself" desk at the Register we are admonished for our obviously unfounded concerns about the Fukushima Reactor event after the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan.

In case you were confused, the fact that thousands of Americans are worried is mostly..., our own fault.

As the San Francisco Chronicle notes, "some Internet sites continue claiming that dangerously radioactive ocean water from Fukushima is showing up along California beaches," and that's all anyone needs to get into a flap in the Golden State. It probably doesn't help that the BBC speaks of an "incoming radioactive Fukushima plume" which is about to "hit the west coast of North America".

Yup..., it was the Internet, which the media has (according to program) decided is time to describe henceforth as a collections of sheeple, swooning at the sight of their own shadows. The sentiment is deeply and frequently embedded in this report.

But hey - forget airheads in California. What about those poor people in Japan? Alright, most of them are probably OK too, really. But what about people who actually live in Fukushima province? What about people who live "In the Radiation Zone", as Discovery News puts it, in places like Minamisoma City.

Ahem, well... Californians should obviously be ashamed of their fear.

Now here's the rub...

All of the information used to completely (and apparently "mathemagically" prove) that "all is well," and "there's no need for conncern" comes from a single, recently published piece of scientific research ("mathemagical" research,) which you can see here: (www.pnas.org...)

Now... let's get down to the business of deconstructing the apparent stupidity of those who will not accept the presumed iron-clad conclusion of this incredibly comforting(?) report.

I'll start, my friends, by answering a question that many of members (or at least me) have asked... "How long before we start hearing that Fukushima didn't cause any cancers?" .... the answer: Precisely this long:

It won't ever be possible to say that any cancer cases were caused by Fukushima. As nobody - no plant workers, nobody - has suffered enough radiation dose to actually get radiation sickness either, that means the total radiation deaths and injuries count from Fukushima will be zero.

I really wish a scientist had actually said that.... (they didnt.)

But let's not judge our condescending author too harshly... after all, he provided us with these facts.

First he gave us this image to consider:

(Of course, he did caption it "OMG! That looks bloody scary" rather than the official "Japan (Tohoku) tsunami, March 11,2011; Maximum wave amplitudes")

I can't be certain, but part of my feeble mind seems to think he was hoping those scary graphic forecast models are easier to debunk if you trick people into using the incorrect visualizations. But I digress....

Here are the other facts offered:

1 - New study - areas: just outside Fukushima Nuclear Plant vicinity - "lifetime health risk" so small as to
be undetectable.

I checked the research paper [link available in the source] for the term "lifetime health risk" ...,
disappointingly it's not there, I found that the author doesn't explain the inherent assumptions within
the linear no-threshold models (NLTs); namely, that cancer is the only ailment, or affect from
radiation... and that it (cancer) is strictly directly proportional to radiation dose. (A prevalent meme.)

2 - They had about 480 volunteers wear neck monitors that measure "groundshine" (the radiation
emanating from the earth) over two months...

3 - Based upon those measurements ... long story short ... the volunteers suffered no measurable
damage ("Mathemagically" speaking.)

Nice study. From this we get the hyperbolic result reported:

They [the reactors and cooling pools] were hit by earthquakes and tsunamis wildly beyond what they were rated to withstand, in the second worst nuclear power disaster that has ever happened anywhere.

And as a result ... absolutely nobody's health has been or will be measurably harmed. That's a pretty impressive safety performance.

We stand by our original headline: Fukushima was a triumph for nuclear power, not a disaster. If there's one lesson to learn from it, it's that nuclear power is very safe indeed. ®

And I repeat for the ages; any form of power can be safe "enough" where obscene profit is behind it's exploitation.

Moral: The spirited intentional efforts of people usually determines the message you will most likely take back from their reporting.
edit on 26-2-2014 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
edit...
edit on 26-2-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I read Radiation might even be good for us. I sure hope that is a fact!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It's like scientific schizophrenia, with one report countering others, and the same source, Tepco, releasing contradictory reports or statements.

This is scientific forgery, nonsense, and they should be really afraid to commit to such statements and put their names on the line for this rubbish. It should be career ending to lie and forge and express such apathy and sociopathy,and be so obvious tools.

enenews.com... able-very-dangerous

Tepco: Plutonium is in Unit 4 fuel, it can be leaking out from holes and cracks in rods — Former Fukushima Engineer: State of plant is “hopeless”; Unit 4 vulnerable, “very dangerous”

enenews.com... m-and-americium-mox-fuel-a-contributing-factor-phot

Officials: ‘Hot’ materials with 7 billion Bq/kg of cesium found 15 km from Fukushima plant — “Most likely” came from Unit 3 — Over 7,500 Bq/kg of Plutonium and Americium (PHOTOS)

enenews.com... obility-expert-fuel-materials-may-be-flowing-in-o

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

I understand where you are coming from... people often misunderstand the nature of radiant energy. Truthfully, the research upon which the author derives his assertions, appears to be intended to make those who voice concerns seem ignorant.

It is very true that the radiant energy in which we live and play is just as prevalent around the world. However, adding to it is not simply a matter of "numbers."

However, in my humble opinion, it is morally repugnant to simply slather the dialog with poorly represented facts, and a boat-load mind-bending "This ends that debate!" messages. Upon scrutinizing the research... it became evident that the extension of assurance to the larger global community was a matter of his opinion derived from a statistical assertion.

There are better ways to spread information than to make it about people being stupid.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by Maxmars

Ask any former resident of Chernobyl. That is what I can't get out of my mind. No matter what Tepco, or anyone else says about no danger,it's all well and good... I cannot and will not believe it. Even if it takes 50-75 years for them to admit they witheld information,and covered up the worst nuclear incident to date... I will stand by my opinion.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I agree, there is something amiss here... but I find this more evident wherever "science" is in the media.

Frankly, I think the scientists are rarely the tools.... the media is always a tool.

Suffice to say, the idea here was to show how the casual news consumer develops opinions based upon garbage embedded in eye-catching reporting by the media. Garbage in, as the saying goes....

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

There is little doubt that the PR strategy of governments and corporations alike is to proclaim "All is well, the experts said so." until any real problems become undeniable. Until then, they will inevitable do whatever they can to minimize liability, or responsibility for impotent inaction.

But I don't think everyone wants this to end badly..., its just that some measure its importance via revenue streams and political relevance, as long as the status quo pays off, they will defend it.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

AccessDenied

Char-Lee
reply to post by Maxmars

Ask any former resident of Chernobyl. That is what I can't get out of my mind. No matter what Tepco, or anyone else says about no danger,it's all well and good... I cannot and will not believe it. Even if it takes 50-75 years for them to admit they witheld information,and covered up the worst nuclear incident to date... I will stand by my opinion.

My Stepfather's second wife was a Chernobyl child, in her 30's she developed cancer in every part of her body, a terrible arthritis twisted all her bones. This lovely lady lost all her family to Chernobyl and she endured her suffering with grace like i have never before witnessed.

Clearly the truth will never be given to the public about anything that can cause loss of funds for a rich corporation and that include panic and moving by people. We are always in the dark and should never believe what we are officially told. We need to keep our eyes open for what is really happening.

new topics

top topics

join