It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Textbooks claim Japan nuked US in one of 120+ factual mistakes. (India)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The textbook makes statements such as: "Japan dropped a nuclear bomb on the US during World War II," and "Proportion of poisonous gas CO3 has increased due to cutting of trees," as well as "Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on October 30, 1948." It has more than 120 factual, spelling and grammatical mistakes, Indian network NDTV reports. In fact, carbon trioxide is not normally found in nature, and India's independence leader was killed on 30 January 1948.

Source-BBC News

I was looking at this article and was slightly disheartened by the fact that these kids get such sh%t education in some places. I know it all depends on the area but in many places people are not able to get what we have here. Many of us take our it for granted that we have many tools to enhance our mental abilities.

Then conspiracy mode kicked in and I started wondering if this was some sort of experiment. Luckily these kids had vigilant parents and teachers that became enraged at such blatant "mistakes".

thoughts?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by theyknowwhoyouare

USA has just as bad education.

Some gems

USA won the war of 1812
Universe is 6000 years
Evolution is entirely wrong
America is the land of the free

edit on 24-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You are absolutely right.

Those of us that want to learn have the tools though. Which isn't the case in some places.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

theyknowwhoyouare

You are absolutely right.

Those of us that want to learn have the tools though. Which isn't the case in some places.

I should amend what i said to state education.

And il point out too the Uk aint much better, we have kids leaving school unable to read......
edit on 24-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

McMillan books was bought by Apollo Investment Group about a year and a half ago. I have dealt with those scumbags. Expect similar results shortly here in the US.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I believe that it is the parents responsibility to reinforce education outside of school. Too many students vs. teachers equals children left behind. If said child doesn't have parents that are making sure their child is understanding class material that is.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

crazyewok

USA has just as bad education.

Some gems

USA won the war of 1812
Universe is 6000 years
Evolution is entirely wrong
America is the land of the free

Those middle two are only considered by completely religious people, and are not even allowed in schools except in 2 states, because they're not scientific views. They are not supported in the common core, or the old standard course of study. Those in no way represent American education. 9th grade Biology is almost completely about Darwin and evolution. I don't know about other people but I learned the war of 1812 was not won by anyone, hence a peace treaty putting things back into pre war positions. I hope you are not saying Brits are more free than Americans though.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Suddenly theres a plaque, older people died and our children knew Japan won the war.
Later years they make war, 1 claiming US won, other said Japan won the war.
None the wiser.
--------------------------------------------------

On topic:
Children now days dont even want to remember multiplication table, they got Android to do the job. I wonder how they gonna survive without Android.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well there is a time for fuzzy history and there is a time...er, for fuzzy history as G.W. Bush might have said, even if he hadn't a fecking clue as to what he was talking about.
It makes no difference, since we know nothing more than we are told whether our lights shine brighter than G.W's or not.

It's a bit like the enigma of North Korea where a Japanese A- bomb test was supposed to have occurred, why is it still there?
In edit, I'm laughing at the way I put the last sentence together..stupid
mea culpa, I didn't mean that a bomb should have wiped out North Korea, but the fact that it is still there as a supposedly unsupported communist state?
edit on 24-2-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

I believe the point being made was that there are areas even in the US that need some changes. Those were just a couple of easy examples of how utterly wrong some people are taught. I read about religious private schools teaching some strange stuff. I also remember some of the outrageous BS I was "taught" in school.

Regardless I am speaking of third world countries in this thread. so...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I used to read "Books on tape" mainly for blind people and a bunch were for a teachers college in Oregon located in the Columbia River Gorge. I found a whole bunch of mistakes in some textbooks published by Houghlin Mitlan (I think that was the textbooks). Anyway when I pointed this out, I was told to just read the damn book and don't worry about it being wrong. That was not my job. Years later I mentioned this to a professor I knew, he said his wife used to be a proof reader for textbooks and that she got laid off and that many textbook writers and publishers don't have anybody proof reading their books anymore. I guess these mistakes are becoming common. It kind of upset me that I was reading for students who were going to become teachers! I guess just a few of us care about this. Thank you for bringing this to peoples attention for whatever it's worth. Stars and flag for you!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

theyknowwhoyouare
reply to post by KnightLight

I believe the point being made was that there are areas even in the US that need some changes. Those were just a couple of easy examples of how utterly wrong some people are taught. I read about religious private schools teaching some strange stuff. I also remember some of the outrageous BS I was "taught" in school.

Regardless I am speaking of third world countries in this thread. so...

Not sure you can really call India a third world country.....as they are the fourth most powerful and wealthy region of the world behind USA, China and the EU....but if you break up the EU then they are third

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Teachers aren't supposed to raise the children...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Have a read of what Richard Feynman thought about the process of reviewing textbooks

www.textbookleague.org...

The man from the book depository was there, and he said, "Excuse me; I can explain that. I didn't send it to you because that book hadn't been completed yet. There's a rule that you have to have every entry in by a certain time, and the publisher was a few days late with it. So it was sent to us with just the covers, and it's blank in between. The company sent a note excusing themselves and hoping they could have their set of three books considered, even though the third one would be late." It turned out that the blank book had a rating by some of the other members! They couldn't believe it was blank, because [the book] had a rating. In fact, the rating for the missing book was a little bit higher than for the two others. The fact that there was nothing in the book had nothing to do with the rating.

new topics

top topics

join