It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Invasion of Ukraine Can't be ruled out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Over the last few days I have been thinking a lot about he Ukrainian protest movement and how the
situation seems to have a really menacing trajectory.

It has become a really obvious Russia versus the West tug of war.

East Ukraine speaks Russian and favors Russia and West Ukraine see's
Itself as European and speak Ukrainian.

The sensors that keep me alive are twitching like mad right now.

I really have a concern here that we are about to see something we haven't
seen Since Russian tanks rolled into Georgia. Only this time the stakes are way higher.

I have just picked this report from Reuters on twitter:

Just a paragraph full story

Here

Moscow — Ukraine has had two weeks to find a compromise in its Russia versus the West dispute. Russian President Vladimir Putin has been focused on promoting his soft image with the Winter Olympics in Sochi. With the games ending Sunday, however, time has run out and the crisis in Kiev and other cities is only getting worse. If Putin uses Russian history as a guide, it would not be out of the question that Russian tanks rolled into Ukraine. After all, Soviet leaders did just this to retain control during the Hungarian uprising in 1956 and the 1968 Prague spring in Czechoslovakia. For Putin stands to lose influence and his ability to affect policy in Ukraine if the opposition gains control. This is at the core of the current Ukraine crisis. Ukrainian President Victor Yanukovich disregarded a much-anticipated association agreement with the European Union in November to sign a $15 billion bailout deal with Russia. It was this Kremlin-influenced act that sparked the protests — first peaceful but now increasingly violent. Ukraine now appears divided into an eastern part that supports Yanukovich and the Russian deal, and the Europe-prone western half.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Any Russian troop movements yet?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

HUMBLEONE

Wait tip after the olympics. The troops are busy beating up punk bands outside the games there right now…

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

HUMBLEONE

Haven't seen any reports from twitter ..but I am monitoring it constantly.

I don't mean to alarm anyone here.. really hope that Yanukovich resigns
making it much more difficult for Intervention by Russia.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Look at this picture.. It doesn't look good.

Also i have leaned that Yanukovich has sacked his top
general...

Before and Now!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I was wondering how long this was going to take before we see talk about invasion...

Putin has been very vocal about restoring the former glory of the Soviet Union. He is aiming for superpower status once again (not that there is anything wrong with that). My concern is how far will he go to make his vision a reality.

An invasion by Russia will result in massive issues, just as an invasion of Iran or North Korea would be.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If the Ukrainian government decides to ask the Russians for military assistance, the western legal case for raising objections gets very awkward.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Don't you just love the timing... Ukraine... winter Olympics... If something happens in the mean time, Russia has lots and lots of hostages... Just think about it.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

DISRAELI
If the Ukrainian government decides to ask the Russians for military assistance, the western legal case for raising objections gets very awkward.

Indeed it does and this is exactly what I think is about to happen!
My guess is the protestors think the same, that's why they are trying to get to the government buildings
and the presidential palace to remove Yanukovych before Sunday and before the Russians can respond
to his fake cry for assistance.

This is a very dangerous situation that many don't see the hidden agenda.

Ukraine is part of Putin's greater Russia plan.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

MessageforAll
Don't you just love the timing... Ukraine... winter Olympics... If something happens in the mean time, Russia has lots and lots of hostages... Just think about it.

Are you seriously thinking that's even a plausibly legitimate option?

Russia is desperately trying to rebuild their image as a World leader/player. The last thing they would want to do is look like some sort of third world fly by night country and react with that sort of thuggery...

No offense, but that sounds very simplistic imho.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

MessageforAll

I agree with Slayer.. taking hostages is way to crude for Putin.
Nevertheless, after Sunday the gloves come off in downtown Kiev.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I know this is outside the box at this point, yet I believe a possible solution would be
for Ukraine to divide itself into two (or more if necessary) countries.
This way for instance, West Ukraine could align with the E.U. and East Ukraine could
align with Russia.

S&F

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, however I do believe that the way the EU and US is acting Russia will respond in the way they best can. Simply by making it very hard for the athletes to return home.

Its obvious that Ukraine is a direct assault towards Russia. Putin knows this. Unlike some other dictators Putin's red line won't be crossed nor be repeated.

When I said hostages i didn't really mean in a physical way?*Scratches head looking for the right word*
edit on thAmerica/Chicago220000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Wildmanimal
reply to post by rigel4

I know this is outside the box at this point, yet I believe a possible solution would be
for Ukraine to divide itself into two (or more if necessary) countries.
This way for instance, West Ukraine could align with the E.U. and East Ukraine could
align with Russia.

S&F

No.. I don't think that's a good solution.. as it would quickly develop into
a tense stand off between East and West.
By that I mean the two Ukraine's backed by the West (West Ukraine) and Russia on the East.(East Ukraine).

I see that solution as another East and West Germany.

For me the best outcome, is that the standing president takes a brave step and resigns, thus
denying Putin an easy win.. and a Little longer term The Russians wise up to Putin and
get rid of him once and for all.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

I think the real "hostage" is the gas pipeline into western Europe.
This is not a situation where "sanctions" from the West would work very effectively.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

You speak gold my friend

As Martin Armstrong warned this morning:

BOTH the USA and EU will now fund the rebels as Russia will fund Yanukovych. At the political level, Ukraine is the pawn on the chessboard. The propaganda war is East v West. However, those power plays are masking the core issue that began with the Orange Revolution – corruption. Yanukovych is a dictator who will NEVER leave office. It is simple as that. There will be no REAL elections again in Ukraine. This is starting to spiral down into a confrontation that the entire world cannot ignore.
h/t JS

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
As always, there is very likely major diplomatic discussion going on between the U.S., Russia, and the Ukraine right now, with an eye towards a solution. My thoughts would go to an aide package for the Ukraine from both the U.S. and Russia, with some of everyone's wishes included. Russia would benefit from this by more connection with eastern Ukraine, and the nation as a whole. All sides know who is causing what on the streets, and will take that into account as well. I, as usual, am optimistic things will work out without an invasion, which is a last and final resort (and invade what, a few square blocks of the city?).
edit on 20-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

This chessboard is infinity more complex. The subtle nuances are for greater stakes than just what is being portrayed in the media. If this were a Western influenced crises the Olympics would be a perfect time to instigate it. The message could be several-fold.

1.) Continue to support Syria, have mayhem on your border.
2.) Invade a neighboring State during the Olympics, that'll look great on Russia's Resume'
3.) The Ukraine is no longer part of the now vanquished Empire
4.) Because of point 3, the pipeline issue is fair game.

edit on 20-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

They wouldn't dare, Obama has put his line in the sand............again.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Aleister
As always, there is very likely major diplomatic discussion going on between the U.S., Russia, and the Ukraine right now

You can rub out The U.S. and replace it with The E.U.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join