It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dyatlov Pass Incident....Explained???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yes this is old news (1959 old news) I dont know if anyones has done this yet, but im goin for it because it interests me(the basis to all my threads). But I was looking up theories of how it could be explained, and i came across a couple.

Now for those of you who dont know what the Dyatlov Pass Incident is, allow me to enlighten you.~~~
On 1959 a group of 9 hikers set out to climb a mountain, now this wasnt just any mountain, it was in the Ural Mountains up in Russia. The specific mountain name? The Kholat Syakhl, specifically, the east shoulder. The creepy part? If you translate Kholat Syakhl, It means "Mountain of the Dead" But thats not the only creepy part of course. Anyway, the crew leader couldnt go up there with them, his name was Igor Dyatlov (notice a name resemblance?) and he got sick so he bailed. The pass was actually named after him..

The 9 hikers went up there alone. They were found dead weeks later.

Cause of death you ask? well, that hasnt been fully understood.

All they know is the tent was found sliced open with pocket knives from the INSIDE and the hikers were found dead in the snow, with barley any cloths on, only underwear maybe 100ft from the tent, or it couldve been miles i cant remember. It seemed like they tried to climb up a tree to get away from something but failed. They seemed to have left the tent in a hurry. One was missing a tounge when found dead and they were all found with pre-mature aging, they had gray hair. And whats weird is they had ORANGEish skin when found. They were also reportedly found with NO EXTERNAL WOUNDS WHATSOEVER. but WERE found with INTERNAL TRAUMA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now there is/has been alot of controversy over this topic. Some people say they witnessed orange glowing orbs on the night the hikers left for the hike.

BUT there are theories to suggest it was natural causes that killed them. An example?:

Skeptoid, hosted and produced by Brian Dunning, features a story on the web about this incident. They report that some of the victims were wearing each others clothing and none of the victims had any visible external signs of trauma. Also, they report that some of the victims may have been blind and that witnesses in the area on the night of February 2, 1959 had reported seeing orange spheres in the night sky. Also, they report that the bodies of the victims had orange skin and gray hair. The “Ancient Aliens” series also reported this.

As Skeptoid states, this incident happened in the middle of the Cold War and there are few details other than what has been stated herein. Journalist attempting to publish the facts about the case had their writings censored or confiscated by Soviet authorites who liked to keep big secrets. Likewise, official records either went missing or were classified by the Soviets. Skeptoid points out that many of the theories surrounding this case revolve around Soviety military testing int he region on the night of February 2. These theories allege that the Soviets were testing some sort of secret weapon that drove the group insane. Others think UFOs were responsible for the groups deaths. After Soviet authorities concluded their investigation into this case everything was classified as TOP SECRET.

Dunning says of the case, “I found some translated articles from Russian media and some western articles, and although the case offers some compelling mysteries, it also offers an elephant in the room.” And that elephant in the room according to Dunning? The possiblity of AVALANCHES befing the killer! Dunning says he found that the area where the death took place is “hardly the type of place you’d expect avalanches.” Dunning found a Russian tourism brochure about the region and it DOES warn of avalanche dangers on the slopes steeper than 15 feet! According to the investigators reports at the time the slope right above the groups campsite was 22-23 feet high. And further up it goes from 25 to 30 feet. That’s steep! Dunning says the reports say snow at the camp was 2 meters deep. He thinks avalanches are a plausible factor in the death of the hikers.

Source

This theory isnt full proof of course. There are loop holes such as, if it was an avalanche there would be a small chance that theyde find there tent considering the snow couldve covered it. and theres also the loop holes they suggested in the article as well. There is one more theory on that page but i didnt get a chance to look at it yet. its called the Infrasound theory. Maybe your curiosity will take hold of you and youll be forced to look at it

edit on Mon Feb 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: cut huge external quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I thought you would have proposed one new explanation with proof.

Anyways, what sticks out most to me is the girls tongue.

That says alot.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

yea same. the theory states that she couldve bitten it off cuz of the cold. I highly doubt that though.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Me too. I can understand biting her tongue,but not biting it off.

Okay, I reread and it seems you are focusing on the SPOOKED theory combined with a real avalanche happening after they were spooked.

This is feasible, and for simplicity sake I would theorize they heard the beginning of avalanche(s) in their area and dashed out to avoid being buried under their tent in snow. This is the most simple, straightforward theory that explains most all the circumstances.

To prevent this happening again in our lifetimes, then what is the best scenario to react to a possibly avalanche smothering your group's tent in the middle of the night in the middle of a heavy subzero blizzard and with no cell/sat phones or flares available?

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

yea it said something about they heard a rumble and 4 of them woke up and ran out and when the 5 woke up they went looking for them. blah blah blah more stuff that seems flase.(which probably is)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Avalanches that cause premature aging and orangeish skin discoloration?

Errrr...ok. What the hell? Never heard of this incident before.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
A few months ago when that story was on ATS,I offered the new possibility that perhaps at least one of the women was at the prime time of her monthly cycle and a Sasquatch (one or more), as some male animals are inclined, was attracted to the group by her scent and finding competitive males with the females, attacked the group eventually killed them all either by driving some off into the storm and crushing some with powerful "bear" hugs.

Perhaps there were examinations done upon the females to determine if they had been sexually assaulted since the deaths turned out to be so mysterious? Given the time between the deaths and the remains being found, the exposure to the elements and forensic capabilities of the day, any evidence of sexual assault probably would be slim to none.

I think my hypothesis have validity and answers about all of the puzzling aspects of the how and why of the mystery.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a recent thread, has a good article and I am not sure how many pages in but there is a very good outline of a similar theory as stated above, but still focusing on the anomalies present.
Very strange indeed, as for the missing eyes and tongue, I am a believer of critters or birds or some type of animal getting to them.
Don't mean to say stop discussing on this thread, the one I posted is a good read if you have time

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

oh sorry. i didnt mean to like rip off your post or anything. I didnt even know you posted that. I just posted this because of my interests

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by golden23

Wasn't mine, I had just read the thread lol. Like i said i was just linking it as more info, by all means don't stop discussing here

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Most likely it was an avalanche that killed them.
The tent was ripped from the inside out which was most likely them running as they heard the slide coming.
The mixed clothing could be explained by a mad dash in the dark for clothing as they ran out of the tent.
The ones that were found naked and orange looking can be explained by hypothermia. People suffering hypothermia have been known to take clothes off due to a warm sensation they feel from the nerves being damaged. They were, for lack of a better word, freezer burnt. This could make them orange looking.
The missing tongue and eyes, if I'm not mistaken, was from one of the two bodies found months later. She probably thawed out sometime during a warming period and an animal ate her tongue and eyes like they usually do.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
After reading a few other articles on this, I definitely say the avalanche theory is an extremely weak one. Too many weird things.

Whatever happened, it scared the crap out of these poor kids. The ones who were fully dressed, that had the weird injuries, plus trace of radiation on their clothes...

The missing tongue and eyes sounds more like cattle mutilation than anything. No signs of predation discovered, and the investigators were pretty baffled.

The fact that it was covered up and rated as top secret is very interesting. Seems the Russian high command was pretty spooked by it, or wanted to hide something.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

golden23
Yes this is old news (1959 old news) I dont know if anyones has done this yet, but im goin for it because it interests me(the basis to all my threads). But I was looking up theories of how it could be explained, and i came across a couple.

Now for those of you who dont know what the Dyatlov Pass Incident is, allow me to enlighten you.~~~
On 1959 a group of 9 hikers set out to climb a mountain, now this wasnt just any mountain, it was in the Ural Mountains up in Russia. The specific mountain name? The Kholat Syakhl, specifically, the east shoulder. The creepy part? If you translate Kholat Syakhl, It means "Mountain of the Dead" But thats not the only creepy part of course. Anyway, the crew leader couldnt go up there with them, his name was Igor Dyatlov (notice a name resemblance?) and he got sick so he bailed. The pass was actually named after him..

The 9 hikers went up there alone. They were found dead weeks later.

Cause of death you ask? well, that hasnt been fully understood.

All they know is the tent was found sliced open with pocket knives from the INSIDE and the hikers were found dead in the snow, with barley any cloths on, only underwear maybe 100ft from the tent, or it couldve been miles i cant remember. It seemed like they tried to climb up a tree to get away from something but failed. They seemed to have left the tent in a hurry. One was missing a tounge when found dead and they were all found with pre-mature aging, they had gray hair. And whats weird is they had ORANGEish skin when found. They were also reportedly found with NO EXTERNAL WOUNDS WHATSOEVER. but WERE found with INTERNAL TRAUMA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now there is/has been alot of controversy over this topic. Some people say they witnessed orange glowing orbs on the night the hikers left for the hike.

BUT there are theories to suggest it was natural causes that killed them. An example?:

Skeptoid, hosted and produced by Brian Dunning, features a story on the web about this incident. They report that some of the victims were wearing each others clothing and none of the victims had any visible external signs of trauma. Also, they report that some of the victims may have been blind and that witnesses in the area on the night of February 2, 1959 had reported seeing orange spheres in the night sky. Also, they report that the bodies of the victims had orange skin and gray hair. The “Ancient Aliens” series also reported this.

As Skeptoid states, this incident happened in the middle of the Cold War and there are few details other than what has been stated herein. Journalist attempting to publish the facts about the case had their writings censored or confiscated by Soviet authorites who liked to keep big secrets. Likewise, official records either went missing or were classified by the Soviets. Skeptoid points out that many of the theories surrounding this case revolve around Soviety military testing int he region on the night of February 2. These theories allege that the Soviets were testing some sort of secret weapon that drove the group insane. Others think UFOs were responsible for the groups deaths. After Soviet authorities concluded their investigation into this case everything was classified as TOP SECRET.

Dunning says of the case, “I found some translated articles from Russian media and some western articles, and although the case offers some compelling mysteries, it also offers an elephant in the room.” And that elephant in the room according to Dunning? The possiblity of AVALANCHES befing the killer! Dunning says he found that the area where the death took place is “hardly the type of place you’d expect avalanches.” Dunning found a Russian tourism brochure about the region and it DOES warn of avalanche dangers on the slopes steeper than 15 feet! According to the investigators reports at the time the slope right above the groups campsite was 22-23 feet high. And further up it goes from 25 to 30 feet. That’s steep! Dunning says the reports say snow at the camp was 2 meters deep. He thinks avalanches are a plausible factor in the death of the hikers.

Source

This theory isnt full proof of course. There are loop holes such as, if it was an avalanche there would be a small chance that theyde find there tent considering the snow couldve covered it. and theres also the loop holes they suggested in the article as well. There is one more theory on that page but i didnt get a chance to look at it yet. its called the Infrasound theory. Maybe your curiosity will take hold of you and youll be forced to look at it

edit on Mon Feb 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: cut huge external quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Ok for starters, the crew leader didnt bail from sickness at all, that was Yuri Yudin. Igor Dyatlov died with the rest of them.
I don't know where you got your information that the leader bailed from sickness?

Anyway, not really a big deal. Either way this has been a favorite mystery of mine for some time and I love reading about new theories and possible explanations. Thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Aliensun
A few months ago when that story was on ATS,I offered the new possibility that perhaps at least one of the women was at the prime time of her monthly cycle and a Sasquatch (one or more), as some male animals are inclined, was attracted to the group by her scent and finding competitive males with the females, attacked the group eventually killed them all either by driving some off into the storm and crushing some with powerful "bear" hugs.

Perhaps there were examinations done upon the females to determine if they had been sexually assaulted since the deaths turned out to be so mysterious? Given the time between the deaths and the remains being found, the exposure to the elements and forensic capabilities of the day, any evidence of sexual assault probably would be slim to none.

I think my hypothesis have validity and answers about all of the puzzling aspects of the how and why of the mystery.

So let me get this straight. Your saying -- woman stink, a sasquatch got excited, killed the guys, screwed the woman and then bit her tongue off because she was talking too much afterward? Okay. Sounds reasonable to me.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm not sure about the avalanche theory. As has been stated, the tent was still recoverable, i mean, have a look at it:

It could have been an avalance, capable of injuring the individuals. But shouldn't it have also taken out the entire campsite, with leaving close to no traces? Add to this, that some of the individuals had tried crawling back up towards their campsite, after sustaining serious injuries. If they had been incapacitated by avalanches, why would they attempt to crawl back up the mountain towards their campsite which would seemingly have been completely obliterated and covered by one?

I think there is more to the story than just avalanches and scared campers.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Btw..,
There is a movie just released on this incident, its
called "Devils Pass" resp. "The Dyatlov Pass Incident"
---------------------------------------------------------------
Five young filmmakers retrace the steps of a doomed
group of hikers in pursuit of an unsolvable mystery.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Link

edit on 18/2/14 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

It could have been an avalance, capable of injuring the individuals. But shouldn't it have also taken out the entire campsite, with leaving close to no traces? Add to this, that some of the individuals had tried crawling back up towards their campsite, after sustaining serious injuries. If they had been incapacitated by avalanches, why would they attempt to crawl back up the mountain towards their campsite which would seemingly have been completely obliterated and covered by one?

Not necessarily. If they heard a nearby avalanche they could have still thought it was above them and ran. In the middle of the night on a mountain slope known for avalanches I'm sure the thought is fresh on the mind. It only takes one person to yell something and start running and the rest would most likely follow suite. They were most likely asleep and waking to something like that would be totally confusing. Before they knew it they could end up lost not knowing which way the camp was. It was −30 °C (−22 °F). It doesn't take long to perish when it's that cold. Skin freezes instantly at minus 40.

edit on 18-2-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: golden23

Skeptoid, hosted and produced by Brian Dunning, features a story on the web about this incident. They report that some of the victims were wearing each others clothing and none of the victims had any visible external signs of trauma.

Two had external visible signs of trauma to the face and two others to the hands.

Also, they report that some of the victims may have been blind

None were blind.

As Skeptoid states, this incident happened in the middle of the Cold War and there are few details other than what has been stated herein. Journalist attempting to publish the facts about the case had their writings censored or confiscated by Soviet authorites who liked to keep big secrets.

One journalist attempted to write the story. The Russians made him end it with only one being killed instead of nine for a "happy" ending.

Likewise, official records either went missing or were classified by the Soviets.

The radiation found was required to be filed in a separate report, the possibility of a UFO attack was not allowed to be considered, one evidence envelope may have gone missing, but the event was never classified.

Skeptoid points out that many of the theories surrounding this case revolve around Soviety military testing int he region on the night of February 2. These theories allege that the Soviets were testing some sort of secret weapon that drove the group insane.

R-5 and R-7 missiles were launched over the area, one within 24 hour of the deaths. The booster stage of these missile had a tendency to come down where they were.

The Russians sent 41 investigators to the site. Not a single one mentioned an avalanche. The tent site was completely undisturbed and the amount of snow present when the tent was found was the same amount of snow it was in when set up.

If the Soviets could have explained it with an avalanche they would have. But, with no such evidence, they settled for "a compelling unknown force".

Three investigators directly reported as to whether there had been a slide. They stated it was NOT a slide area (No slide has ever been seen there) due to the 19 degree slope (slides begin at 25 degrees). Slide danger areas are not measured in "feet". All three agreed the tent was properly cited according to all rules. One noted a stretching rope had come undone, allowing the north end of the tent to collapse. This "derailed rope" is the so called "avalanche" frequently theorized and always refuted 41 times over.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IMAnonymous

What do YOU think it was? It sounds too out of this world to be simple.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gardener

Okay, I reread and it seems you are focusing on the SPOOKED theory combined with a real avalanche happening after they were spooked.

This is feasible, and for simplicity sake I would theorize they heard the beginning of avalanche(s) in their area and dashed out to avoid being buried under their tent in snow. This is the most simple, straightforward theory that explains most all the circumstances.

This is a very common believe but it doesn't actually work as expected. One does not actually "hear" a snow avalanche. They're pretty silent. What the occupants in the tent would have heard was a sudden swishing sound followed by the west side of the tent roof sagging from snow running up it. How much snow? The Russians calculated it. Less than a foot.

The Russians rejected the nine would panic and concluded they would have simply brushed the snow off the tent as the tent entrance was unblocked. They could not imagine that all nine, including a pro ski instructor, would not only abandon the tent but cut their way out (They cut their way out next to the unblocked, still standing entrance), in fear of a second avalanche and leave downhill, staying directly in the path of this second feared avalanche AT ALL TIMES.

<<   2 >>

join