It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole swallows pricey Corvettes at hallowed museum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Sinkholes are swallowing Corvettes now. Last year it was houses in Florida, and on Wednesday nature gobbled up some of the coolest and fastest cars to come off the assembly line.

Eight valuable 'vettes at Bowling Green, Kentucky's National Corvette Museum fell victim to a 40-foot-wide, 20-foot-deep sinkhole that opened up in the facility's yellow Sky Dome wing. The museum unofficially estimates it caused millions of dollars in damage.

Motion detectors alerted security that something was amiss shortly after 5:30 a.m., said museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli. An employee who first walked into the room "has been in shock all day," she said.

"When you go in there, it's unreal," said Frassinelli. "The hole is so big, it makes the Corvettes look like little Matchbox cars."

www.cnn.com...

Here's the museum's list of cars that went down the hole:

-- a 1962 "Black Corvette"
-- a 1984 PPG pace car
-- a 2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil"
-- the 1992 white "1 Millionth Corvette"
-- a 1993 ruby red "40th Anniversary Corvette"
-- a 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
-- the 2009 white "1.5 Millionth Corvette"
-- a 1993 ZR-1 Spyder

The total value of the damaged cars is substantial, said museum executive director Wendell Strode.
Well I guess so

Oh man, what a loss, that is if you're into cars...... insurance will cover them of course
Luckily no one was hurt

Another video here that's pretty good
www.youtube.com...

Hmmm, maybe I should have put this in the 'Fragile Earth' forum
These sinkholes are becoming very common it seems like

edit on 12-2-2014 by snarky412 because: add video

edit on 13-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
That's a shame...I'm sure they have plenty of insurance to cover that though...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well on the bright side it didn't swallow anyone's house or anything, but I see these things are becoming rather dangerous. Always appearing and swallowing up things that we need/want!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I guess when I prayed for a sinkhole to open under my car... the lines must have gotten crossed.

Oopsie.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

A lot of folk think fracking is causing all the sink holes, and that may well be part of it, but I think there may be more. Not all sinkhole are near fracking, and there number sure is increasing.

The aquifers in our country-and other countries- are at record lows in a lot of places. It seems if you remove the subsurface water something will have to fill the void that's left.

When is it going to get more that just a brief passing notice in the media?
Are any studies underway? I would think scientists would be clamoring to be 'the one' to solve this enigma and make a name for themselves!

All I hear is silence...and that's not a good sound.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I guess when I prayed for a sinkhole to open under my car... the lines must have gotten crossed.

Oopsie.

Aha!!
Now we see what you're up to, oopsie and all!! LOL

-------------

reply to post by nugget1

A lot of folk think fracking is causing all the sink holes, and that may well be part of it, but I think there may be more. Not all sinkhole are near fracking, and there number sure is increasing.

Just like in Louisiana and Florida, they blame old salt mines or near gulf coast for LA & FL is unstable with being surrounded by water

So, what's with Bowling Green?
Not near the coast so any fracking? Or just another sinkhole because....

edit on 13-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Wow.
At least nobody was hurt in this one.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Well, it would be much easier to just let the insurance pay it off.

I saw a theory floating around the internet about the sinkholes being caused by the "Expanding Earth". There is actually a theory built around this idea. I have skimmed over the information a time or two, but never enough to keep it or chunk it.

You can read about it here: en.wikipedia.org... , though you have probably already heard about it. It seems I was a little late to that game.

I joked the other day that the sinkholes were being caused by TPTB while they were busy making highways, bunkers, and even small cities all underground. True or not? At this rate, I could almost believe it.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I saw a theory floating around the internet about the sinkholes being caused by the "Expanding Earth". There is actually a theory built around this idea.

I have heard of this too

Just like what happened in this particular situation, being as the museum floor collapsed, can't really blame fracking due to it being inside the building where it occurred

And it's not near the coast

So wonder what the excuse will be for this one

Can you imagine sitting there watching TV or being on ATS when all of a sudden you started hearing creaking and groaning noises, unsure of what was happening, when all of a sudden the ground drops away about 40 - 60 feet or so???

That's what some of those people from Florida said about the resort last year that sunk. They heard it and felt tremors which gave them about 10 minutes to get out of there

I still feel awful about that man that got swallowed up in his own damn bedroom. It's hard to wrap my mind around that one

That is something that no one can prepare for

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I remember when the guy got swallowed up in his house too! That was a little frightening. We always assume that we are fairly safe in our homes, we may even be able to fight off intruders and such... but what can you do about a sinkhole?? Helpless.

As far as reasons, they may not even try to give one. I have noticed this more and more lately on a lot of things. It's almost like they no longer care about trying to make up good, plausible, excuses. They just throw out any kind of trite now. It makes it hard to believe when they do give correct reasons for any occurrence.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I think it's now a "Hollowed" museum...?

So unfortunate though for rare / iconic cars to disappear.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I think it's now a "Hollowed" museum...?

It certainly could be said to have exclusive underground parking.

It's just a little chaotic down there.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There's been a lot of big sink holes happening within the last few years, those and the huge cracks appearing in the earth that come out of nowhere...

looks like the earth is stretching and shedding her skin so to speak... getting rid of this disgusting layer of filth of humanity.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The insurance company is going to be a tad pi$$ed.
Total bummer.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
This isn't really a big mystery or conspiracy believe it or not, This museum in Bowling Green Kentucky is sitting some 30 miles, give or take, from the longest cave system in the world.

The astonishing thing is that this don't happen more around here, knowing that Kentucky is literally riddled with underground caves.

Dotted all around the area are cave tours and just 100 miles north in Louisville is the MegaCavern, said to reach all across the city.

It is amazing that Kentucky isn't one big sinkhole

new topics

top topics

join