It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New interactive map shows what Earth will look like when all the ice melts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
An interactive map by National Geographic simulates what our Earth would look like if all the ice on land melted, elevating sea levels by 216 feet. Coastlines and landmarks disappear in the deluge. Places much of our population currently inhabits is simply washed away in these images. The only constant in our world seems to be the change.

I guess on the bright side, my property could be considered "ocean view" someday.

National Geographic Rising Seas interactive map

Photo source

I thought a few on ATS might find this map interesting. Anyone else have beach front property in their futures?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yay I will have beach side property!

Infact Im on one of the tiny Islands in the Se of England woo
edit on 9-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
And what did they say would be melting the icecaps in this fashion?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Never going to happen but it keeps somebody working and thats a good thing. the other day somebody was talking about the sea levels rising so much that places are starting to flood . No sorry it's just a storm. Good news on lakes rising the Great Lakes are expected to come up quite a bit this year thanks to all the snow and cold.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If it will rid us of New York City, DC, and Chicago it can't be too bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

The description for Nat Geo's map is:

The maps here show the world as it is now, with only one difference: All the ice on land has melted and drained into the sea, raising it 216 feet and creating new shorelines for our continents and inland seas.

There are more than five million cubic miles of ice on Earth, and some scientists say it would take more than 5,000 years to melt it all. If we continue adding carbon to the atmosphere, we’ll very likely create an ice-free planet, with an average temperature of perhaps 80 degrees Fahrenheit instead of the current 58.

Or it could be Cow Flatulence, I hear we keep looking into that...

Coastlines have changed many times in our history it seems. I found this map interesting.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

my home on a welsh mountain should be worth
a fair bit when this happen's

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Chicago is on the Great Lakes and they really don't count to the GW dreamers. If I recall Lake Michigan is at 585 feet give or take

edit on 9-2-2014 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
More fearmongering from the Global Warming/Climate Change cult. It makes the mind weary.

Oh wait, I know! Let's pay more taxes! That'll fix it!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Anybody know why the great lakes region isn't affected by this? I would think they would be under water as much as the east Atlantic coast.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The earth would bring forth an ice age waaaay before this much water melts.

Still interesting to see.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

The Great Lakes have a lot going on in terms of geography due to the last glaciation. Post glacial rebound and isostasy have effects on lakes and coastlines that the article in the OP doesn't cover.
edit on 9-2-2014 by NiteNGale2 because: vocab

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Can't really tell but it looks like The Midlands in the UK is submerged but I live in the West which looks likely to be a seaside front. My hometown Bedworth was actually once voted the best equipped place in the UK to survive a zombie Apocalypse too by the BBC.

I'm ready!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ummmm I live on a boat.................no worries mate

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
By the looks of it many problems in the middle east will be solved... Nature makes no distinction when it comes to problems...my "flawless" country has also dissapeared under the waves.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
And here is my map of the earth when all the water freezes.
Look at all those cute polar bears walking around!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Not a problem...a lot of people in Florida are under water with their mortgages already. Same with most people living on the lakeshores. One good thing, all that lake shore property will have cheap property taxes when that happens.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Looks like I could become a citizen of New Atlantis!

Wow, better invest in some oxygen tanks!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This would never happen, as Earth would move into ice age when all the glaciers melt. Important sea currents like Gulf Stream will stop when salt balance in the oceans changes. When Gulf Stream stops, much of North Europe turns into huge glacier.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Interesting. A lot like the early maps showing how things were during at least one point in our pre-history. Blows me away how resistant some people are to the idea of geophysical change. I always put it down to fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible saying, "The Earth is as God made it and will never change." Or somesuch nonsense that doesn't seem to apply to Eastern and nature-based religions.

F&S

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join