It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pondering Elves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Whats HOAX about it?

Is the whole story bogus? Or, Was her story as to why she was gone for 7 years bogus?

When I read it I couldn't help but think of the 'Fire in the Sky' *Travis Walton story. Although Travis was only gone for days not years...
edit on 10-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well, it felt wrong... more creative than relaying info, if you get me... and if you dig, there's a disclaimer and a link to another article saying it's been called into question... near the bottom above the comments.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Yeah rereading it, it did sound bit fishy

Interesting story

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

leolady

What do you think of this ? Its amazing that certain cultures still protect the natural habitats not only for preserving our beautiful earth but also for the beings they believe inhabit it.

Why do you think they would go to such extremes ? Is it because there is truth to this ?

I think it is as valid, or more valid than what people place their faith in nowadays.

People actually believe in bankers, large corporation, religions, stock-markets, politicians, and MSM, so why not believe in something that is not actually doing any harm.

Peace,

RT
edit on 10-2-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Almost everything about that story is untrue. The picture is not taken in Iceland. You can find more info in the comments section below. There is only one Arnór Guðjohnsen for example and he used to play football and is the father of Eiður Guðjohnsen who's one of our best ever footballers. So it seems like the author of this article just went and googled "famous Icelandic names"
It's a good story though.

Now as for the OP....I do believe the subject of Elves is a lot of fun but I also think most Icelanders don't believe in them. We do talk about them and put up a show for foreigners and there are actually some of us who really believe in them as the video in the OP shows but they're a minority. Still...as a nation we´re really superstitious and then there is the fact that you never really know, so all I know is if I were to cross one of those rocks where Elves supposedly live, I'd still treat it with respect because I'm not taking that chance haha.
Ps..great thread, I´ll be sure to check in here later when I have more time.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here goes my "little people" story:

My house is 100 years old, I am the third generation of my family to live here, with one previous owner outside the family. I am about a half mile from a creek, with the property on the outskirts of the swamp of the old creek, all of which is a neighborhood in the ley (or 'draw' as we colloquially call it ) of the creek. These facts flag paranormal activity to almost anyone interested in the subject, so it's no surprise to some that I would be dealing with paranormal happenings my entire life.

The second story of the house has been odd my entire life. In my childhood, I had experiences upstairs with things I called the 'littles'. They were, in my child mind, much like a Merry Melody cartoon- thin limbs, long eared, big eyed and mischievous human-like beings that I mostly observed and sometimes interacted with. To this day I question what I experienced, and wonder if the odd happenings in my home are related to them.

The activity is completely benign. Mostly closets opening, footsteps, laughter, the sound of bells and objects being rearranged. In a weird way, I enjoy it, and love for company to come over and stay in the guest bedroom. I always to hear a weird story about a closet opening and the feeling of a presence or waking up to their discarded socks in a strange arrangement. The sound of bells is very common when they seem to be out and about. The sounds range from grand-father clock chimes to tinkling sleigh-bells - often accompanied by blue flashes of light.

Since my teenage years I haven't seen them, but the incredulous feeling of things inhabiting my upstairs has never left me, and my cats' behavior helps enforce the notion that there is, indeed, something other than my partner and I that share this old place.

Thanks for this thread, it put a grin on my face to read other folks' experiences and share my own.
edit on 10-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: generational miscalculation, grand parents, child, grand-child, I am the latter, that makes third, right

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Elves are more than a fairy tale, they exist, amongst the fairies, unicorns, dwarves, and more. They do live in inner cities in the earth and they are called "Agarthans". Also if you look into a story about Elf Rock you will find that a woman went there, I forget but I think she was a zoologist or something like that, she disappeared and was found 7 years later on the same rock. No trace of anything bad had been done to her, but she disappeared for a long time.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Good Post LeoLady. I've always thought that since there were Giants once roaming this Planet, and then there is us, at out Heighth, then why wouldn't there be a Race, or two, of Very Very Tiny People living here?
Oh, Love Your Avatar! Chicks in Leather Garb like that, PLUS with Weapons! Wow, tasty Eye Candy. Syx.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OrdoAdChao

Wow, straight outta "Fairy 101." Bells, little lights, large eared little folks who are playful (until you p*** them off). What part of the world did that happen in? New or old world?

I'm hoping for the housecleaning elf variety to pay me a visit... I started riding a bike again and got tangled in trolly tracks and am laid up with battered body syndrome... my dishes and laundry need attention (and explains my excessive amount of posts... apologies).

A dish of milk left out overnight as an offering, right? Whole or skim? If my house gets magically cleaned I'll report it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

that story was very interesting. i had a similar experience and I was told by a shaman who was present that all plants and the like have their own spirits that can be masculine or feminine. he related to me that this particular tea housed a very powerful feminine spirit to whom the proper respects must be paid. an apparently important aspect much like you said is how it is prepared. i was told that the spirit enjoys water, cool temperatures and shade. so touching said plant materials with fire and chemicals would be a gross misuse and even so far as offensive to the feminine spirit.

Luckily, that was not an issue for us as the proper respects were paid and procedures followed. But, that has always stopped me from doing anything on my own for fear of being offensive and disrespectful. my experience however was "off world" you can say, such awe. but, it would be interesting to try again with the intention focused on that other nature world that parallels our own and see what the outcome is. though it would be nice to not have to take a shortcut and to just be able to see/experience said elven world just via meditation or something similar. im curious if one were to go to these spots in iceland, paid some respects, came alone and meditated if you would eventually have an experience....

CX

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Worth looking up Bridget Cleary too....an interesting story.

CX.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

interesting story indeed. reads almost like a fairy exorcism with them trying to make her consume and say certain things in order to prove that she is really an imposter. i can only imagine what that whole experience must have been like. sounds very intense.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I am sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you recover swift and in full!

I live in Montana, so New World. The town I live in is an old mining town where at least half the population is of Irish descent. My genetics are, starting with the Maternal side: 25% Swede, 25% Sami, and then the Paternal: 12% Native, and a healthy mix of Welsh/British isles.

I should have brought up the Sami earlier- as I was thinking about mentioning the people. I think they deserve a thread all their own on ATS, and I might just make that my first thread. They are steeped with legend in Europe, along with having a rich folklore and tradition of their own. They are recognized as a Native people in Europe, with science showing that they are some of the oldest genes around. When I think elves, they spring to mind, because, well, they live in the Arctic Circle, herd reindeer, ride in sleighs, wear colorful clothes and are short in stature (see where this is going?
).

Anyways, getting back to the area where I and the 'elves' (I call them gnomes now, but that's just me) live, there are ridiculous amounts of paranormal hotspots here, which could be related to the six thousand miles or so of mine shafts beneath the town, the creeks, hills and granite. Sort of a perfect storm in the paranormal world, no?
edit on 11-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: clarity

edit on 11-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: moar clarity!

edit on 11-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: grammar, how does it work?

edit on 11-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: politeness

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I just read up on the Bridget Cleary stuff... wow. Thanks for suggesting it, I had never heard of this before.

9 people involved in and charged with her disappearance and death because they claimed the original Bridget Cleary was taken by fairies and was replaced as a changeling. When her body was found, she had been burned and placed in a shallow grave. Uuuggghhh.

That definitely isn't the cutesy type of story one would imagine when thinking of fairies !

leolady

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I've never heard of the Sami people, thanks for opening another avenue of "new".

Here's the Wikipedia link to their article, where I find out that Renee Zellweger is a Sami, so you had me at Ordo....

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hey, no problem! You can get a lot of info from there, but be sure to delve a bit into Viking folklore, they aren't common in it, but they are present and play some very interesting roles. I don't mean to be vague, I just can't recall the specific sources, which - rest assured - I will be looking into.
And Viking/Scandinavian tales in general are great fun and very insightful into the human condition.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Hmmm ... Montana... it sure sounded old world, but that just points to these beings having standard associated phenomena. I wish little blue lights and bell sounds followed me around... certainly better than light dancing off skin oil and stubble with the echoes of (occasional) belches.

Thanks, also, for the Sami reference... a culture I know nearly zip about, but equating them to maybe starting elf lore kinda goes against the little buggers you saw for yourself. Oh, unless the Sami adopted their idiosyncrasies copying the "wee folk."

So yeah, that town in MT seems a hotbed... probably lots o' granite under it, too. Swiss Cheese dimensional doors, if such things exist.

And thank you for responding to my crass sympathy plea... very nice. And sadly, no elves have bothered to clean my abode and the milk exudes a faint sour odor as I type... perhaps they prefer whole to 1%.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Any of yall ever heard of fairy stones ? Here is an interesting story/legend/myth about fairy stones. I don't know if I believe the story behind how they formed. It seems to me that it is likely just a natural phenomenon but we shouldn't ignore the legend that was built around these little stone formations. After all we keep hearing that there usually is some truth behind myths/legends...so it is worth looking into deeper. I thought the story was interesting that it revolves around fairies so this is an appropriate place to post it.

Natural Fairy Stones and the legend behind them

In a quiet sunny glade nestled among the rugged foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Patrick County, Virginia, a section made renowned by the fact that old King Powhatan once held undisputed possession there, was discovered a single quarry of the far-famed Virginia "Fairy" or "Lucky" stones. These little curiosities, which range in size from one-fourth of an inch to two inches, bear in the most unique form some shape of a cross, which has been outlined by Nature’s own hand.

In that weird spot, about the only known place in the world where the little wonder-working gems are to be found, the good fairies flourished and had their workshop many hundreds of years ago. This, you probably say, was rather a strange place for Titiania's subjects but were you to visit this charming mountain region you would find every rock and tree infected with glamor and romance. As to the real origin of these crosses of stone, comparatively nothing is known as the leading scientists of the country have failed to throw any satisfactory light on the subject; but in that remote mountain section runs a very pretty legend to the effect that hundreds of years before King Powhatan's dynasty came into power long before the woods breathed the gentle spirit of the lovely Pocahontas, the fairies were dancing around a spring of limpid water, playing with the naiads and wood nymphs, when an elfin messenger arrived from a strange city, far away in the land of the dawn, bringing the sad tidings of the death of Christ; and when they heard the terrible story of the crucifixion they wept. And as the tears fell upon the earth they were crystallized into little pebbles, on each of which was formed a beautiful cross. When the fairies had disappeared from the enchanted spot the ground around the spring and the adjacent valley were strewn with these unique mementoes of that melancholy event.

source

leolady

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

As far as the Sami are concerned, I apologize for making it sound like I think they are the elves of folklore. In some way I was suggesting just that, mostly out of fun because of the similarities, but the Sami are a distinct culture which many European traditions seem to have adopted ideas from. What I should have made clear is that ideas such as elves are deeply rooted in culture and vary between them. And to that, as far as Scandinavian culture is concerned, elves hold a very different place than the elves of Celtic culture, which seems to be the main focus of this thread.

I was smashing a lot of information into a short post. Bad form, I know. This thread just got my head spinning, and I came off much more muddled than I am usually.
edit on 12-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

OrdoAdChao

This thread just got my head spinning, and I came off much more muddled than I am usually.

Aye, tis just the wee folk fogging your head with wisps of fairy dust and unheard giggles, nothing to fret about.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join