It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species of giant jellyfish washes up on shore in Tasmania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Did a quick search and was surprised to see this not covered here. I thought this would have been right up your collective allies

CSIRO scientists are working to classify a new species of giant jellyfish after one washed up on a beach in southern Tasmania.

The 1.5 metre jellyfish was found by a family walking on a beach at Howden, south of Hobart, last month.

There have been several reported in waters off the state and the research body has also captured specimens.

CSIRO scientist Lisa-ann Gershwin told ABC Local Radio while the species has been seen before, it is technically unclassified and new to science.

"It's a whopper. We do get large jellyfish and this one just happened to be this absolutely enormous specimen," she said.

Source - ABC News -Mysterious giant jellyfish found by family on Tasmanian beach, yet to be named

So... thoughts?
edit on RAmerica/Chicago28000000Thu, 06 Feb 2014 01:11:11 -06002-0600fCST01 by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing because: Typos.... typos everywhere..

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
That thing is huge! It's a shame that we couldn't see it alive..

The next giant squid hunt perhaps?

The discovery of new species doesn't get the masses riled up anymore, it's all about flappy bird and justin bieber.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
That is an amazing image. I like how it is reduced to a puddle which none-the-less still depicts well how massive it was. It's like it just melted, and its life-force is being absorbed by the rocks.

I have lived near beaches for years, and I know well that you need to watch yourself around the tide-line so that you don't plant a foot in a 9-inch jelly. I couldn't imagine encountering that puddle, or how astonished I would be. I would assume it wasn't what it appeared to be.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

What a giant!!
I always liked Jellyfishes. They are very fascinating creatures, and some of them also very beautiful to watch with their many colors and gracefulness! Imagine this one in the ocean... Wow, i would love to see a living one in that size swim around!

Once more it shows us humans we still have A LOT to discover in our deep seas!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

And this is why I stay far clear of the ocean! Haha, seriously though nice find and thanks for sharing. Makes me wonder what else is "lurking" down there in silence...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

It's not a NEW species. It's a previously unknown one.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Sure. Isn't that the case for every new species? They are 'new' to science, that's the whole point.

Or was you getting at something else there?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Its like a big organic water balloon poppped!

Amazing and creepy

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Perhaps he is implying that it came not from the oceans but fell out of the sky......

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Unknown creature washed ashore, what does discovers do? poke poke poke

DON'T POKE IT WITH YOUR HANDS DUDE, THAT'S IS NOT A JELLYFISH ITS THE BLOB!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Thats no Jellyfish, the kid just had an almighty sneeze!
To save his embarrassment with the lady present he used the cunning plan to say its a Jellyfish.

In all seriousness, i wouldnt be touching the Jelly.
Its a new species so who knows what kind of nasty defence/weaponry its carrying.
Keep poking it and we may find out!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

GezinhoKiko
Its a new species so who knows what kind of nasty defence/weaponry its carrying.
Keep poking it and we may find out!

They can sting apparently. Dr. Gershwin has observed members of this species before, but this is the first time it has been catalogued for science.

The jellyfish is not dangerous, but can sting.

"If you touched it or whacked into when you were swimming it is very painful," Dr Gershwin said.

"It's not life-threatening, but it will sting you, it will wake you up."

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It's gigantic!!! Ahhhh!!!! What if it wrapped Itself around you in It's endlesss supply of jellyness!!! AhhH!! AhhhH!!!

"Experts are baffled."

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Do you use a microscope when you split a hair so fine?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Looks like someone had a few too many white russians the night before and made a mess all over the shore.

top topics

join