It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's GCHQ victimized Anonymous supporters with DDoS attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The latest news to come from the trove of classified documents leaked by Edward Snowden, a former NSA contractor, should outrage anyone who has ever taken to the Internet in order to express their opinions or protest a cause. According to NBC News, Britain's GCHQ has no problem using DDoS to silence your speech and limit your access to the Internet. But, if you do the same, you're going to pay fines and face possible jail time.

Say hello to hypocrisy, its name is JTRIG.

The NBC News report says that during a 2012 NSA conference called SIGDEV, the GCHQ's Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group (JTRIG) bragged about using Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS)* during an operation called Rolling Thunder to target Anonymous. Because of this a

Britain's GCHQ victimized Anonymous supporters with DDoS attack

CSO has just hit with a new Snowden release, which has hit as a special NBC news investigation. The GCHQ has been using the 'Meta data', data engines, and posting boards to target activists (which they term as Anonymous Hactivists so that they sound more scary) which have committed no crime other than expressing their free speech. Yes, they are using DDOS/ SYN flood and other attacks to assure that information and ideas are not shared by targeting groups (NBC said 80 percent of the users of a posting board were targeted).

Using these same methods to target speech by a normal user would get you thrown in jail...

Quote from NBC :
'The presentation gives detailed examples of “humint” (human intelligence) collection from hacktivists known by the on-line names G-Zero, Topiary and p0ke, as well as a fourth whose name NBC News has redacted to protect the hacker's identity. The hacktivists were contacted by GCHQ agents posing as fellow hackers in internet chat rooms. The presentation includes transcripts of instant message conversations between the agents and the hackers in 2011.'

Here is the NBC investigation below.. There are many questions such as using this to target Americans or other Europeans which would breech many treaties and impale the rights of those citizens.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 5-2-2014 by R_Clark because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I wish we could have actually seen the thing. I wonder if any of it was really worth getting excited over. Probably memos that Comic Sans is no longer an accepted font in field reports starting March 18th of 2008.

edit on 5-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It gives alot of details on the NBC website..

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Anonymous are a bunch of hackers. I say that GCHQ was right to frustrate their activities.

Before everyone takes offence, some causes Anonymous has supported have been good, but I hate hackers out of principle for the general grief they can cause.

Regards

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Well there are likely some who would like to do that to ATS as example... still if you have 100 governments around the world intent on shutting down ATS then we wouldn't be able to have this conversation...

The problem really is who decides what is read and what is not.... there is 'Free Speech' and the right to express your opinion..

Unfortunately, no government seems to be interested in setting up 50 billion dollar teams of engineers, military, and hackers to assure such rights continue...

as said on NBC :
Said Coleman, “Punishing thousands of people, who are engaging in their democratic right to protest, because a couple people committed vandalism is … an appalling example of overreacting in order to squash dissent.”

Jason Healey, a former top White House cyber security official under George W. Bush, called the British government’s DDOS attack on Anonymous “silly,” and said it was a tactic that should only be used against another nation-state.
edit on 5-2-2014 by R_Clark because: Grammar and Credits

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

DDoSing anonymous seems like a bad plan.

That's like growling at a wolf.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

paraphi
Anonymous are a bunch of hackers. I say that GCHQ was right to frustrate their activities.

Before everyone takes offence, some causes Anonymous has supported have been good, but I hate hackers out of principle for the general grief they can cause.

Regards

By default, that means you hate the government hackers who DDoSd anonymous.

You see, hacking is just a skill. How it is applied is what counts.

That's like saying "I hate machinists because - you know - guns and bombs and stuff."

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Fear not, ATS hired me to prevent DDoS from oppressive governments, foreign and domestic. I am accepting donations ,btw.

Just kidding don't ban me

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

R_Clark
Well there are likely some who would like to do that to ATS as example... still if you have 100 governments around the world intent on shutting down ATS then we wouldn't be able to have this conversation...

ATS is hardly controversial. Which governments would want to shut it down?

FreeWillAnomaly
By default, that means you hate the government hackers who DDoSd anonymous.

No, not really. I think the hackers need to be challenged. If you think hacking is great, then wait until you get scammed and you bank account is emptied. It is not very funny.

Regards
edit on 5/2/2014 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I doubt any governments want to shut down ATS. Depending on which intelligence group runs it, rival groups might want to disrupt ATS as a prank though. Odds are it is army intelligence, but that is just a theory of mine based on deductive logic.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

Perfect trickle feed disinfo distribution system. Of course, most shills who come here end up defecting because we're just so awesome. Or so I'm told.
edit on 5-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

ATS is hardly controversial. Which governments would want to shut it down?
reply to post by paraphi

I like to think we all are a little controversial, you know being a conspiracy site and all. Correct in the fact no gov has the bullseye on ATS's back but I bet there has been a member or two that has gotten some extra attention from somebody's government.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There are many different ways to protest about anything. If you want to protest about the government, then choosing to do it by attacking them is rather like poking a hornets nest. You are bound to get attacked right back.

edit on 5-2-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
reply to post by R_Clark

DDoSing anonymous seems like a bad plan.

That's like growling at a wolf.

Sure hack the hackers. Dont hack the people merely talking freely about their targets.

If someone attacks a guy in the street and he happens to be a really bad person who deserved it, if you then say "he had it coming" should you be charged with the same punishment as the man who did it? Because thats what this is essentially.

new topics

top topics

join