It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What could the Spanish flu and Quaker oats have in common?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
First, why was the Spanish flu dubbed Spanish when it began here in Kansas? At the time, Spain was not involved in WW1. They were the only one who freely informed the public on what was happening.

Fort Riley, Kansas. March 11, 1918. A company cook became ill and was isolated. With in an hour several others also became ill and were isolated as well. 5 weeks later, 1127 at Fort Riley sick, 46 dead. While this is happening, soldiers at other military camps all over are becoming ill. From there they found that even our troops in the war were becoming ill. Highly contagious, those countries who happened to be our allies serving side by side, also became sick. It quickly spread throughout their countries.

For some, it was an aggressive flu with a three day fever. For many, they died within hours of contracting the "virus". Symptoms include turning blue, coughing so hard they tore their abdominal muscles, and hemorrhaging from every orifice.

1901 Quaker oats was established by Henry Parsons Crowell. Crowell was a very well off man of the times. He did not need to do anything, could live in comfort without working a day in his life if he so chose. However, Crowell wanted to make God proud of him. One thing led to the next and quickly he became the cereal tycoon. He was very generous with his money. Known to "donate" up to 70% of his earnings. He was very choosy though. The only ones who would (and continue) to benefit from his "donations" are those whose ideals are in line with his vision. Not much information on what his vision entails other than it was Christian based and he was known for bringing people to Jesus Christ.

Lovely man. So lovely, he was also known for serving radioactive cereal to mentally retarded orphans. Of course, it was limited radiation. Just enough to perform tests....

How else could a virus that incapacitated its person within hours spread not only to our military stateside but overseas in the war as well if not the food supply?

Fact. The Spanish flu killed more people in one year than the bubonic plague did in four years back in the 1300s.
Fact. WW1 killed 16 million. The flu killed 50 million in one year.
Fact. Half our countries recorded deaths in WW1 were from the flu
Fact. When the war ended, so did the flu.
Fact. Though Spain was considered neutral in WW1, they were huge in sending supplies to all Europe.
Fact. The influenza epidemic of 1918 that affected 25% of our citizens is not taught in American History.

Maybe Quaker had nothing to do with it. Maybe it was a fluke driven by poor hygiene and a mass mixing of populations due to the war? Or, maybe, a man driven by God - like so many others in the past - decided it was his duty to do his part in ending the war. Maybe.

virus.stanford.edu...
www.archives.gov...
history1900s.about.com...
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 4-2-2014 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is very interesting, to be honest I just skimmed your links but the last one is the most interesting in my opinion only.
It makes me think if the flu was food born, or at least started in a Kitchen in Kansas.
Perhaps someone here has the time to re-search what the rations consisted of during WW1 and who had access to them?

S&F
Time permitting I will read all the links thoroughly and will return when time permits.
Many thanks for your well thought out post and links.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Wait, what (always want to use that here)? You're saying that the 1918 flu pandemic was the result of everyone who got sick eating Quaker Oats? My goddess, man, I think you've solved it!

Anyway, an interesting stretch of the imagination. Thanks for pushing the envelope. Personally, I know of at least three relatives who died of it..well, two, and wait....if it hadn't happened I wouldn't have been here, because of a wife who died and a relative married him, and generations later, came me...just realized that...so in the course of this post I have to thank the Spanish flu for killing off someone which caused a marriage which resulted in a direct line to me. Thank Goddess for Quaker Oats!
edit on 4-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

M.I.T. said on Tuesday that the exposure to radiation was about equal to the natural background radiation people were exposed to from the environment every year. The university also noted that a state panel in 1994 determined that the students had suffered no significant health effects from the experiment.

The panel did say, however, that the students' civil rights had been violated.

Quaker Oats continues to deny that it played a large role in the experiments. The company donated the cereal and gave a ''small research grant'' to the university, said a Quaker spokesman, Mark Dollins.

www.nytimes.com...

Not saying it is right by any means, but your description uses quite a bit of imagination.
edit on 4-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Isn't the Spanish flu what we call today Influenza A, Swine flu, or even H1N1? I know swine can eat Oats but do you think it was from us eating the Oats or from Pigs eating them or neither or both?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Actually, no its not. They have never seen that strain again.

Many questions about its
origins, its unusual epidemiologic features, and the basis of
its pathogenicity remain unanswered.

wwwnc.cdc.gov...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

boncho

Not saying it is right by any means, but your description uses quite a bit of imagination.

Yes it does use a bit of imagination but I don't think it is far fetched. By the time they were feeding the radioactive oatmeal to the orphans they had quite a hand on it. They knew the right amount to use that wouldn't kill the child while being enough to try and prove how much of its vitamins and nutrients were being absorbed. You don't reach that point without a lot of trial and error. Not to mention learning how to do it to begin with. Is it too much of a stretch to think they figured out how to make the oatmeal radioactive less than 20 years before they knew how much to use on the children?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I see a historian named Alfred W. Crosby "speculated" the first N1H1 pandemic may have originated in Kansas. I highly doubt it was based on anything factual.

What is your proof and is it his idea you're basing this on?

I think you're way out there in "pulled out of thin air" territory IMO.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Really?

This report describes the successful reconstruction of the influenza A (H1N1) virus responsible for the 1918 “Spanish flu” pandemic and provides novel information about the properties that contributed to its exceptional virulence.

CDC - Reconstruction of the 1918 Influenza

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I got my information from government archives, the cdc, and Stanford University. I posted a few of the links.

The process of our soldiers going from stateside to overseas is more than 24 hours now. It would have taken a lot longer then. It is realistic to assume the food played a part.

It was also often assumed even then that it was from biological warfare they were just unable to prove it then.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The existence of radioactive isotopes weren't discovered until around 1913. There weren't even used in medicine until the 1930's and even that was very superficial.

Ol' Hank would have waaaay ahead of his time if he was able to slip WWI soldiers some loaded oatmeal.

ETA: I saw that you followed up as I was typing my short post. I thought you were hinting at radiation causing the Spanish Flu. I have read also that the possibility of biological warfare was considered also. You've probably read some of the same papers over the years that I have. The CDC has an excellent documentation.
edit on 4-2-2014 by NiteNGale2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

mrsdudara

boncho

Yes it does use a bit of imagination but I don't think it is far fetched. By the time they were feeding the radioactive oatmeal to the orphans they had quite a hand on it. They knew the right amount to use that wouldn't kill the child while being enough to try and prove how much of its vitamins and nutrients were being absorbed. You don't reach that point without a lot of trial and error. Not to mention learning how to do it to begin with. Is it too much of a stretch to think they figured out how to make the oatmeal radioactive less than 20 years before they knew how much to use on the children?

It's entirely far fetched. You can go to the pharmacy and buy bananas and get a mild dose of radioactive potassium, that doesn't mean it's going to kill you, nor that anyone feeding you bananas is trying to kill you.**

y the time they were feeding the radioactive oatmeal to the orphans they had quite a hand on it. They knew the right amount to use that wouldn't kill the child while being enough to try and prove how much of its vitamins and nutrients were being absorbed. You don't reach that point without a lot of trial and error.

No kids died in the experiment so where is the trial and error you are talking about?

And what does radiation have to do with the flu…

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

That article is a year prior to the one I posted from the CDC which explains that while reverse genetics show some commonalities between H1N1, and some other influenza strains there is another factor there that is different than all others. That mystery factor makes the 1918 strain more potent than any other ever seen. It was also potent not to the young and elderly, but the strong young adults and middle aged. I personally do not think that proves biological warfare was not used.

The first large-scale use of a traditional weapon of mass destruction (chemical, biological, or nuclear) involved the successful deployment of chemical weapons during World War I (1914–1918). Historians now refer to the Great War as the chemist’s war because of the scientific and engineering mobilization efforts by the major belligerents.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

boncho

It's entirely far fetched. You can go to the pharmacy and buy bananas and get a mild dose of radioactive potassium, that doesn't mean it's going to kill you, nor that anyone feeding you bananas is trying to kill you.

IT WAS A WAR THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER. What does a war have to do with bananas?

No kids died in the experiment so where is the trial and error you are talking about?

And what does radiation have to do with the flu…

There is no way to know if kids died through all this. They did not do autopsies on orphans who died. The fact that they did it leads me to believe they would have done more. For crying out loud the notorious Nazi eugenics program began here. We started it. Virginia didn't stop their last eugenics program- sterilization- until the 1980's.

What does radiation have to do with the flu? I'm saying that the food source was tainted. Was it via radiation, chemicals, whatever I don't know for sure. It is easy for me to assume based on the information I provided that radiation played a part. Radiation can cause mutations. That is a fact. We know that scientists didn't know what to expect when using radiation. I do believe they intended to taint the food chain. I do not think they expected what happened. I think it was a mutated oops. Not because they are innocent but because there were too many mad scientists trying to find a way to kill off large groups of people.

I lean toward the radiation theory because they have been documented using it.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

IT WAS A WAR THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER. What does a war have to do with bananas?

You are really grasping here. With all your assertions with nothing to indicate a relationship between any of the points other than relations you could make about anything or anyone.

There is no way to know if kids died through all this. They did not do autopsies on orphans who died.

Through the specific experiments that quaker sponsored it doesn't appear they were getting high doses of radiation. For your hypothesis to have any merit, it at least needs evidence to suggest otherwise.

en.wikipedia.org...

Why was it called the Spanish Flu?

To maintain morale, wartime censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, Britain, France, and the United States;[7][8] but papers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain (such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII), creating a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit—[9] thus the pandemic's nickname Spanish flu.[10]

Who exactly poisoned the food supply since it effected people globally?

The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920)[1] was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the second being the 2009 flu pandemic). It infected 500 million[2] people across the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and killed 50 to 100 million of them—three to five percent of the world's population[3

en.wikipedia.org...

It just doesn't make sense what you are implying.

Spanish flu, the pandemic that killed 50 million, started in China — but may have spread via Canada, historian says

news.nationalpost.com... /

One theory is that the virus strain originated at Fort Riley, Kansas, by two genetic mechanisms — genetic drift and antigenic shift — in viruses in poultry and swine which the fort bred for local consumption.

What does it have to do with oats?

en.wikipedia.org...

And most importantly, why would something be the cause when it is found in places that have no connection, beyond human contact where a flu virus can easily transfer.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What does it have to do with oats? Oats were a common factor. In every kitchen, and soldiers rations. Most of the other rations were a type of canned meat. The canning process destroys bacteria and whatnot. There were Oats were one of the only that had not been cooked. At least not until it reached its destination. In a war famous for Mad Scientist using their creativity to gain any leverage possible why is it too far fetched to assume the food was tainted? As for who? There was a company that worked for both sides making the chemical weapons. This company was behind more human experiments than any other. Also known for making people sick to develop and make money of a cure. Their German extension notorious for being the mad scientist behind the holocaust. Bayer who later also became IG Farben.

Now, Im not too happy about my piece being copied and pasted on another website that apparently is connected to ATS. I posted this here. I don't know enough about Occupy Illuminati to want to be part of their world. Mods, if you would please delete my threads. I do not appreciate ATS posting my piece on other boards I consider that plagiarism.
edit on 5-2-2014 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I just wanted to say that I'm glad it wasn't the fault of ATS that my post and several others were on another website. Sorry I assumed ATS was at fault.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think i read on here that the spanish flu was a result of the first typhoid vaccines given to soldiers. But thats a.t.s for you. I also read it coincided with the introduction of white bread and as a result of the first atomic test in tunguska.
How many other flu pandemics have occurred through history?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Spain was the only country whose News / Media were not then being Censored.

new topics

top topics

join