It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP oil spill update: Dolphins with missing teeth and lung disease found in Gulf of Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well between that, and the 'supposed' radation leaks from Fukushima, it's no wonder our oceans are dying.

Bottlenose dolphins with missing teeth, lung disease, and abnormal hormone levels were found swimming in the Gulf of Mexico a year after the BP oil spill, US researchers say.

Pneumonia, liver disease and a pregnant female carrying a dead fetus were also reported in the first major study of dolphin health after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion that spilled 4.9 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

Half of the 32 dolphins studied off the coast of Louisiana in August 2011 -- a year and four months after the worst oil spill in US history began -- were judged to be seriously ill or in danger of dying.

"I've never seen such a high prevalence of very sick animals," said lead author Lori Schwacke, a researcher with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

[url=http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/01/bp-oil-spill-update-dolphins-with-missing-teeth-and-lung-disease-found-in-gulf-of-mexico/[Source[/url]

Hell if the smartest animals in the ocean aren't capable of getting away from it, what is? This is an atrocity and I foresee many many more problems over the next decade if we continue to pollute like this and not hold people accountable.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Hey tothetenthpower!
This is so sad, but I'm really not surprised. I'm afraid it's just going to keep getting worse.

We need to increase awareness. I spoke with a friend last week, and mentioned Fukushima. He actually said, "I thought that was fixed."

S&F
jacygirl

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

We need to increase awareness. I spoke with a friend last week, and mentioned Fukushima. He actually said, "I thought that was fixed."

Not until my kids are my age and then some lol

But yeah, it is really really sad. Dolphins have it hard enough.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Don't take this the wrong way because I am certainly not minimizing the extent of that spill, nor am I supporting big oil in any way, but at best that link is showing correlation only. Given the fact that one of the key players is a government institution, and therefore government funded, It would be wise to eye this with just a bit of skepticism until more definitive data is available.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

That's not bad advice in all honesty. The Gov usually has a vested interested in protecting corporate governance of the state though, so I would think they would try to cover it up.

~Tenth
edit on 2/1/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What about the Corexit that was used as an oil dispersant?
It was toxic to life yet was still selected ovrr other dispersants like Sea Bratt.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

That is normally the standard of the government, but this current administration has made it a key talking point of theirs that they want to reduce reliance on oil and other fossil fuels. Once again, I'm not implying anything, just trying to uphold some standards of objectivity.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

it makes me sad too, but more than that it infuriates me that those responsible are walking around free.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

aboutface

it makes me sad too, but more than that it infuriates me that those responsible are walking around free.

Hey aboutface!
Yeah, they are (walking around free)...for now.
I like to believe that eventually they will get what they deserve. (something slow and painful would be good...like being left in a tank full of oil and corexit....yeah, I'd be ok with that!)

jacygirl

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

BP got out of with a fine.

I don't think they are liable for any future problems as per the agreement they signed with the whichever gov body filed the charges.

US Environmental Agency perhaps?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Why would they not be walking around free. It was an accident. No crime was committed.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by aboutface

Why would they not be walking around free. It was an accident. No crime was committed.

Criminal negligence was proven and I believe it.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Although it could be linked to the BP oil spill, it is also important to note that we had a lot of flooding around that time and that flooding also pulled a lot of chemicals out of the soils and flooded old dumps and this crap made it's way to the gulf.

The corexit being used at the amounts that they were using was not good. The oil itself does have a negative effect but it should have floated to the surface and been scooped up. They could have sucked that stuff up if they would have had equipment to do it and this would have less impact than the system they used. Dump more chemicals to coagulate other chemicals. Talk about lazy.

We have to quit making chemistry that is bad for the environment.
edit on 1-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

missing teeth, lung disease, and abnormal hormone levels

Sounds like the men in my local pub/bar....

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The day after the spill made headlines, I remember driving past a BP full of 'people' filling up like nothing happened. I had to stop and roll down window to call them all f ing idiots. Of course, I was the weird one.

I've learned caring only aggravates me and accomplishes nothing. This country is a joke.
edit on 1-2-2014 by slunteri because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by slunteri

After I saw CNN interrupt a congress woman talking about actual important stuff, in order to cut to 'breaking news' about Justin Bieber, I knew the world was burning.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

slunteri

The day after the spill made headlines, I remember driving past a BP full of 'people' filling up like nothing happened. I had to stop and roll down window to call them all f ing idiots. Of course, I was the weird one.

I've learned caring only aggravates me and accomplishes nothing. This country is a joke.

Just so you know, avoiding BP gas stations doesn't mean you are avoiding BP gas.. And most BP stations are owned by regular people like you and I (not the corporation) who are just trying to make ends meet. So, I don't know why you would call a bunch of strangers pumping gas "f ing idiots"... And BP isn't the only company to ever have a oil disaster, many others have too and many more will likely happen...

Lots of oil companies need to go offshore for drilling because no one wants it happening in their backyard. There is a risk associated with this and to keep gas prices relatively stable, these risks sometimes need to be done. Unless we want to stop all drilling/production state side and just pay up the ass for gas...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I know several people who worked on the clean-up. It was more of a sink and bury operation than a clean-up. Corexit is more harmful to the environment than crude oil yet that was dumped all over every slick. To this day the fisheries are still hurting. While some people thought it maybe a complete kill off in the gulf, it still was a major kill event.

One of the guys I know worked as a commercial diver and set up booms around oil slicks. He had to go in the water with the crude oil and corexit present. Now he is in his mid twenties and has almost a full head of gray hair. It could be just his genetics or something else, but I find that something worth noting. A lot of people who worked on the clean-up efforts got sick. The fact that so many dolphin from the gulf have a variety of health issues should alarm us. No one even pays attention to it, apparently celebrities self destructive habits are much more important.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

In this screwed up world, I'm surprised this video didn't come from BP.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

azdaze
Don't take this the wrong way because I am certainly not minimizing the extent of that spill, nor am I supporting big oil in any way, but at best that link is showing correlation only. Given the fact that one of the key players is a government institution, and therefore government funded, It would be wise to eye this with just a bit of skepticism until more definitive data is available.

Normally I would agree with you but the NOAA has of late been a little more proactive and not caring what comes down on them from above when it comes to publishing data. A good example of that was a month ago when the Northeast had a big storm coming through, we get them every winter but this was a tropical storm that transitioned into a Nor'Easter and they weren't allowed to officially say it was a Tropical Storm as it was after season, so the forecaster said in his brief

Well ya know, I hate to say this but this is a storm that came out of the TROPICS, do you all understand that? I'm not allowed to call it the H word or the TS word, but you all get that it is really yes?

Also they have been a little more open about the readings from the Barrow Sea Ice and atmospheric (read: Greenhouse gas) monitors in the Arctic Circle. Instead of the site always being down, they have all the data going back 20 or so years up for anyone to see.

So if it's coming from the NOAA I'd have a little more faith than say Homeland Security..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join