It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Soldier from WWII who hid for decades dies at age 91

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
http:// www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/17/onoda-japanese-world-war-ii-soldier-who-waited-until-174-to-surrender-dead-at-1/?intcmp=obnetwork

TOKYO – Hiroo Onoda, the last Japanese imperial soldier to emerge from hiding in a jungle in the Philippines and surrender, 29 years after the end of World War II, has died. He was 91.

Onoda died Thursday at a Tokyo hospital after a brief stay there. Chief government spokesman Yoshihide Suga on Friday expressed his condolences, praising Onoda for his strong will to live and indomitable spirit.

"After World War II, Mr. Onoda lived in the jungle for many years and when he returned to Japan, I felt that finally, the war was finished. That's how I felt," Suga said.

"I don't consider those 30 years a waste of time. Without that experience, I wouldn't have my life today."
- Hiroo Onoda told the AP in 1995

Onoda was an intelligence officer who came out of hiding, erect but emaciated, in fatigues patched many times over, on Lubang island in the Philippines in March 1974, on his 52nd birthday. He surrendered only when his former commander flew there to reverse his 1945 orders to stay behind and spy on American troops

Interesting story about Mr. Onoda. Whether one condones war or not, and I most certainly do not, one has to commend Mr. Onoda for following his orders faithfully for a very, very long time.

Further reading on this subject:
www.damninteresting.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yes I saw this. Talk about a survivalist. And he was happy to have the life he had.
He was true to his orders..gosh dang! Though he was on the wrong side..he showed true perseverance.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

That guy was pretty amazing. How many people would have the fortitude to follow such an order for that long? I am glad he had a good outlook on life that would have ruined most people.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Superb socio-etnic construct, tight, orderly and with remarkable longevity potential.

new topics

top topics

join