It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85 richest people as wealthy as half of the world's population

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
As World Economic Forum starts in Davos, development charity claims that growing inequality has been driven by a 'power grab' by wealthy elites

85 People are as wealthy as 3.5 BILLION!!!

The world's wealthiest people aren't known for travelling by bus, but if they fancied a change of scene then the richest 85 people on the globe – who between them control as much wealth as the poorest half of the global population put together – could squeeze onto a single double-decker.

The extent to which so much global wealth has become corralled by a virtual handful of the so-called 'global elite' is exposed in a new report from Oxfam on Monday. It warned that those richest 85 people across the globe share a combined wealth of £1tn, as much as the poorest 3.5 billion of the world's population.

The wealth of the 1% richest people in the world amounts to $110tn (£60.88tn), or 65 times as much as the poorest half of the world, added the development charity, which fears this concentration of economic resources is threatening political stability and driving up social tensions.

It's a chilling reminder of the depths of wealth inequality as political leaders and top business people head to the snowy peaks of Davos for this week's World Economic Forum. Few, if any, will be arriving on anything as common as a bus, with private jets and helicoptors pressed into service as many of the world's most powerful people convene to discuss the state of the global economy over four hectic days of meetings, seminars and parties in the exclusive ski resort.

www.theguardian.com...

world.time.com...

www.cnbc.com...

So I'm sure this comes as no surprise to many but it still makes uncomfortable, difficult reading.
The level/gap is growing faster and wider too and I'm not really sure what, if anything, can be done about it.
edit on 20-1-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There's also this documentary about the history of poverty, well worth a watch

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Maybe it's because I grew up poor, I don't know. I could never be comfortable hoarding away millions of dollars, while there are millions of people out there that can't even afford food and shelter. I just wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror anymore. I am not sure where I would draw the line really, but it would be way before I was buying private jets and yatchs for sure.

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
and a firing squad would only use 85 bullets to redistribute the wealth evenly around the globe

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

I'm not sure why TPTB continue to print stories like this, what purpose could it possibly serve? Much like the race issues, is it more divide and conquer? Black vs White, rich vs poor etc.?

I think its great that there are people who are able to legitimately amass wealth although many of those mentioned probably represent old money.

Then there are those who have amassed their fortunes illegitimately. What did Ron Paul say about crony capitalism, "welfare for the poor is nothing compared to welfare for the rich".

IMHO its more important to focus on why there is so much poverty. In a recent thread, the OP stated that our global financial problems stem from cheap labor... wow.

No, the issue is the Rothschild's debt based monetary system based on nothing, money printed out of thin air. Like most schemes, this one is also falling apart and the result is that entire nations are collapsing because of it.

Lord Blackheath had mentioned in Parliament that an anonymous donor, Foundation X, had offered to bail out the world economy to the tune of trillions of dollars ($15 to $100). Many assumed that it was the Rothschilds, creating money out of nothing so they could reset the world's debt to zero then continue on with their global ponzi scheme.

Later, it was conveniently spun into claims that it was all a hoax...

reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Thats quite extreme, to suggest that wealthy people be killed and their assets stolen.

How is this different from mugging someone on the street for their possessions?

I'm sure there must be someone with less money than you. Would it then be justified for them to bury you and take your things?

I realize that the amount of possessions might differ, but the idea is the same.

edit on 20-1-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

stargatetravelsthe richest 85 people on the globe – who between them control as much wealth as the poorest half of the global population put together – could squeeze onto a single double-decker.

The first image that came to mind was the bus that exploded during the 2007 London bombings.

soulwaxer

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

Is CiaGypsy on list?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
That's the type of psychological sway those 85 individuals carry with them.

If the proles just really knew is all....

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

not quite what i had in mind....just saying there needs to be a change implemented.........no i do not like violence in any form but theses statistics speak for themselves .......

somewhere along the lines the hoarders of wealth need to be accountable for their actions......accumulating wealth at the same time letting masses of people die from hunger is just not ok...it is criminal

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
There is obviously an uneven playing field with regards to wealth.

The wealthiest are in a position to amass, grow and keep exclusive their wealth. They keep it out of the hands of the least wealthy and do everything they can to beat the competition - this is business as usual.

So, 85 individuals own half the world's wealth, it looks like there isn't much room at the top of the heap. I can't help but wonder how much they pay in taxes, how much they contribute to charity and what have they done to help public infrastructure and the economy.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

soulwaxer

stargatetravelsthe richest 85 people on the globe – who between them control as much wealth as the poorest half of the global population put together – could squeeze onto a single double-decker.

The first image that came to mind was the bus that exploded during the 2007 London bombings.

soulwaxer
on you tube there is a documentary called the ripple affect the trains that were targeted that day had the floors blown up the way
and the windows were not even broken = some bomb

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
reply to post by gladtobehere

not quite what i had in mind....just saying there needs to be a change implemented.........no i do not like violence in any form but theses statistics speak for themselves .......

somewhere along the lines the hoarders of wealth need to be accountable for their actions......accumulating wealth at the same time letting masses of people die from hunger is just not ok...it is criminal

How did Oprah starve people to accumulate her wealth? J. K. Rowling is a billionaire as well. Who did she abuse and steal and cheat to get her wealth?

The ignorant assumption that a successful person was dishonest or abusive to succeed is just as ignorant as assuming that all poor people are criminals.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Your talking to ATS here. Most of here get off on poverty and unequal wealth distrabution.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I could never be comfortable hoarding away millions of dollars, while there are millions of people out there that can't even afford food and shelter. I just wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror anymore.
reply to post by TKDRL

I can totally agree with you. I was thinking the same thing. I can understand making sure my family was taken care of, but when you have that much money, give it away to people in need. I would think that would reward you in more emotional and spiritual ways than material things can ever do.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Inside The 2013 Billionaires List: Facts and Figures

www.forbes.com...

www.forbes.com...

finance.yahoo.com...[edit by]edit on 083131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What many of you guys fail to see is that being rich doesn't necessarily equal being evil. That stereotype is outdated and does not resemble the reality.
Fact is, most of the 1% earned their wealth honestly and fairly, by either having a good idea or trying to make a difference. Anyone can make that difference if you are willing to work hard for it, no matter where you live...
A poster here even called for the 1% to be executed, just goes to show that there is a lack of understanding, and in that specific case, a lack of intelligence.
edit on January2014201420-0600fCST09America/Chicago9 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with amassing wealth but how it's typically done. In general it's not really possible for a person or family or group of people to amass multibillion dollar fortunes unless they've exploited people.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Clairaudience
What many of you guys fail to see is that being rich doesn't necessarily equal being evil. That stereotype is outdated and does not resemble the reality.

It's not a given no, but you don't usually get that rich and amass that kind of wealth by "being nice"
Nobody is saying every rich person is evil and deserves to be killed, at least I don't think they are, but these megacorporations and multibillionaires don't get rich by paying their full taxes and loving nature and humanity

Fact is, most of the 1% earned their wealth honestly and fairly, by either having a good idea or trying to make a difference. Anyone can make that difference if you are willing to work hard for it, no matter where you live...

Most of them? And you know this for a fact?

A poster here even called for the 1% to be executed, just goes to show that there is a lack of understanding, and in that specific case, a lack of intelligence.

I don't think executed is the answer but we need to redistribute the wealth, I think it's fair.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Kali74
There's nothing wrong with amassing wealth but how it's typically done. In general it's not really possible for a person or family or group of people to amass multibillion dollar fortunes unless they've exploited people.

I have to agree with you 1,000% here. Absolutely true, in my opinion. I do know a couple people in life who are millionaires, for all the 'awesomeness' that word is supposed to convey. They sound as irritable at tax time as anyone else I know and they are pissed with more 0's on the end that I've seen on a bill to Uncle..but aside from that? Down to earth and regular folk. One nice lady here in town will likely turn out to be one of those with a real fortune by normal folk standards, but you'd never guess it to know or see her in public. Very unassuming with no pretenses.

By contrast, people with billions to the level of quite literally beating a fair % of the world's nations for GDP on their own net worth DO beg a question it seems almost unamerican to ask ..but then, George Washington thought King George was rich....and George was a poor boy by comparison to Bloomberg, Koch, Buffet or Soros.

How much is enough..and is there such a thing as too much? When people become pawns and issues become points to give and take like pieces on a board game, I think it answers itself and defines itself for the threshold. To so many of the ULTRA-Rich? I think we're like roaches they tolerate by necessity of needing someone to exploit or buy what the exploited produce ..and of course, they haven't figured out what to give the Orkin man to whittle down our numbers yet, right?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People always forget the fact, you need money to make money.

There is very very small chance a middle guy could actually get into the "rich" level.

Rich stay Rich or get richer, Middle Stay sameor go poorer, Poor stay Poor or Die.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join