It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHOT Show 2014. Anything there catch your attention this year?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well, SHOT Show 2014 has just ended and it seems this year had the highest attendance. They said the total number of attendants this year was a record of 67,000.

For those that don't know about SHOT Show, it's "Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show". It's basically the largest gun show in the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

I would have love to gone, but the show isn't open to the general public. (Maybe I need to start a youtube gun page so I can go next year...)

This trade show is open only to those in the trade and the press. The SHOT Show is restricted to members of the shooting, hunting and outdoor trade industry including commercial buyers and sellers of military, law enforcement and tactical products. It is not open to the general public.

Anyways, did yall see anything there that really caught your eye? (Obviously I wasn't actually there, Im just going off of reviews and youtube videos). Of course the new Glock in .380 was probably one of the most hyped up products there, but I personally don't care much about the .380 round.

The first thing I found that was interesting was the Kel-Tec RDB and M43.

I just really like the way they look, RDB being the best of both. (Hopefully Kel-Tec can make these things actually work, unlike a lot of their other stuff)

Next is the new Caracal CS-308. Again, I just really like the look of the rifle.

I also liked the Beretta ARX100. Around 5:00 into the video.

It's pretty much the same as the ARX 160 (.22lr), but upgraded to 5.56.

And for the last thing that caught my eye (atleast from what I've seen so far), is this.

Kalashnikov signs contract at SHOT 2014 to ship rifles to USA and Canada

The Kalashnikov Group has signed an exclusive contract with the Russian Weapon Company (RWC) to supply up to 200,000 guns to North America annually. It should boost sales in the world’s biggest civil weapons markets, while sales in Russia are shrinking.

Kalashnikov Group Director General Konstantine Busygin was not granted an American visa to visit the 2014 SHOT show in Las Vegas. The contract with RWC was signed by his deputy Pavel Kolegov, who headed Kalashnikov Group delegation to the Western hemisphere’s largest firearms trade event.

Looks like there's going to be a bunch more Russian made AK's coming into the country! It looks like the Serbian Zastava AK's and Bulgarian AK's will have quite a bit more competition now. Those are really the only AK's I see in stores currently, although there are still a good amount of Izhmash (Russian) AK's to. (*I haven't seen WASR's (Romanian) in stock locally for a long time now, other than online. They were generally the cheapest, and most available not too long ago. Not sure what's going on with them nowdays.) I have an Izhmash Saiga in .223 and it's amazing. I made a thread about my customization of it here in the Weaponry forum awhile ago to.

Well, that's what got my attention from SHOT so far this year. What there caught your attention?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Another couple things there that caught my eye were the Sig 556xi and the Desert Tech MDR.

Swapping out to different calibers seems to be the big thing with these rifles. For the 556xi, you can switch between 300 blackout, 5.56, and 7.62x39. All that's needed to be done is switch out the barrel, bolt face, and lower. The upper receiver is the serialized part.

Same basically goes for the MDR (barrel change, bolt face change, and instead of a lower like the 556xi, it's just a magwell insert.). Plus they're also putting in a 6.8 spc version, and the rifle being a bullpup compared to the 556xi.

edit on 18-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - Another video about the CS 308 in first post. They also come in .338 Lapua and .50 BMG.

edit on 18-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I'm excited to see them. I shoot comp. with my .556. I am excited to see the different design but with the clip near the butt stock has me wondering the tech. Interested in the light recoil from the new design by KelTech. I'll have to read more into that tomrw. Thanks for the info!

I really want the new Sig MP5 9mm, sweet, cool factor. Its what I want for the end of the world, or Christmas.. whichever comes first

S&F
edit on 18-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Now I remember when I first saw that design, the movie Total Recall with Arnold.

Yep, still want one!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

The Remington R-51 subcompact 9mm.
I might get one of those.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
That MG3 looks a dogs dinner, it weighs enough without all the junk stuck on it, a machine gun with an optical sight?
I would not mind a gold plated StG44, just for show!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Kel-Tec is starting to piss me off. They can't keep up with their orders and they have been saying for years that the RDB will "soon be coming". They haven't even made the RMR readily available. The RFB keeps having issues as well.

They are either trying to pump them out to fast with limited employees and are having QC issues or haven't totally thought through the designs in the first place.

I like the look of them and the concept behind them, but those are at the bottom of my list when it comes to plunking down a wad of money on a firearm. I demand reliability and accuracy first and foremost.

As for getting into the show, see if you can befriend somebody who is going. It's a pretty good time.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Is this the MDR video that doesn't work?

I like how they say that they are still testing it to ensure that all problems have been resolved before they put it on the market. If only other manufacturers did that in all sectors of business.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The KelTec bullpups are sweet but they'll be unicorn rare. KelTec seems to have a problem when it comes to actually manufacturing their product.

The Glock 42 is a bummer. Should have been at least in 9mm. It really serves no purpose being too small for the range and too big to carry for .380.

Glock 41 however is interesting and I'm considering giving it a go.

I'm happy to see that more quality optics that regular folks can afford are being put out on the market ala the Redfield Accelerator (though I'd like to see one with 2 or 4 MOA reticule rather than the 6 it's coming with), the Buris AR-1X and Leatherwoods MaxTac.

I was also happy to see so many suppressors. Makes me hopeful that in my lifetime this NFA nonsense may go away or at least be amended to get suppressors off the list.

Also the abundance of off the shelf 3-gun ready rifles that every manufacturer looks to be producing.

The anti's uphill battle grows ever steeper the more popular things like suppressors and action shooting sports get. It's easy to spread ignorance and fear when nobody knows jack # about a thing but when your neighbor who attends your cookouts and watches your dog while you're away owns a suppressor and competes in 3-gun at the local range every weekend it's exponentially more difficult to see the black rifle as the embodiment of evil.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The Glock 42 is a bummer. Should have been at least in 9mm. It really serves no purpose being too small for the range and too big to carry for .380.

Agreed.
This is why I am anxious to get an R-51 in my hands.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

butcherguy

Agreed.
This is why I am anxious to get an R-51 in my hands.

That does look very nice. I love how Remington smoothed the whole thing out so as not to snag. It has sort of a retro-futuristic steampunk thing going for it.

Only time, and plenty of reviews, will tell if it's really a winner.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Only time, and plenty of reviews, will tell if it's really a winner.

That's what I am waiting for before I decide to buy. I would hope that Remington did plenty of product testing before they release it next month.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

keltec has always had fun stuff .....i cant remember the names of either guns a shot...the small one and then they had another that took glock mags and folded out to a kind of rifle....i thoguht honestly both were crap for any kind of long term adventure but both were innovative and alot of fun to play around with...im glad to see both those new guns from keltec as they look really cool.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I ran across a couple more things that look pretty nice.

First is the Mini Radom Sport AK in 5.56. (Once it's released in the US, Im not sure if it will be called "Mini" since of the barrel length requirement, unless if you're buying it as an SBR)

It looks pretty nice and also accepts AR mags.

Also, the new SIG 320 looks pretty interesting. A striker-fired Sig finally.

Im a fan of SIG's and was planning on buying a compact striker-fired handgun later this year. Once the compact 320 hits the market, I'll wait for some reviews and then decide between either that or probably an M&P compact. (Still have my options open to others though, but these are more than likely going to be the main 2)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
All those guns and gun nuts in one place? Surely there were mass casualties. What was the body count? Wait. Whaaaat? You mean nobody was killed? Wow that's strange! It's almost as if a bunch of guns, gun collectors, hunters and marksmen and women are some sort of...magical barrier against crime...like a, deterrent, of some sort...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

buni11687
Also, the new SIG 320 looks pretty interesting. A striker-fired Sig finally.

I'm wondering if this means that SIG is giving up on the P250? Aside from being striker-fired, the P320 appears to be virtually identical. If it uses the same magazines, I'll probably end up getting one at some point.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Shot Show was very exciting this year.

We are finally seeing innovation again!

And I have to admit I am stupidly gloating over the fact that I've been saying for years that if remington were smart they'd resurrect and revamp their model 51, but in 9 para. And that's just what they've done! What I'm really hoping to see though is a .45 caliber variant at next year's SHOT, and a high capacity 9mm the year after as well as full size and other variants. I have a strong suspicion that the R-51 would make an insanely good competition shooting platform especially considering it has a fixed barrel making it very suppressor friendly as a bonus.

I am also thoroughly pleased at the amount of bullpups we're finally beginning to see, as well as the aftermarket support being put towards bullpups. This has historically been a problem, when I had my AUG years ago there wasn't much in the way of accessories out there and what there was was expensive and hard to actually get. I am very excited to at least handle and see video of the insides of these keltec bullpups. And holy crap the Desert tech MDR! I mean what can I say about this? A company renowned for insanely good precision rifles putting out a pretty innovative multi caliber capable rifle all with an MSRP that's not all that much more than a tavor or an RFB! It's an answer to people's prayers to the bullpup gods.

Also I'd liek to point out a few other developments I"m really excited about one is the K&M arms revamp of the m17s bullpup that will use many AR 15 small parts but uses the charles st george triangular bolt. It's also apparently got a pretty great trigger just like desert tech's and keltec's offerings! The age of the universally crappy bullpup trigger appear to be over.

Also there's a company called amendment arms I believe making what they call the joshua mark 5 rifle. Now while I'm not super enthusiastic about all of what they're doing what makes me happiest is to see people deciding they can do it better than bushmaster or colt and putting out real products. It strongly signals how manufacturing of complex products like firearms are now within the abilities of determined amateurs to design, build, perfect, and bring to market! This is awesome for so many reasons.

Also I am pretty excited about the masterpiece arms MPAR 556 although I think they should have went with a FAL para style stock instead of the magpul MOE, but that's a stylistic argument. What's most exciting about this rifle is it's using the triangular bolt as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I always liked shooting these but ammunition is hard to find.

www.strangemilitary.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
lol... It'd cost more than most people make in a year just to buy the bagged charges!

Seriously though I wish someone would make GP-25 shaped golfball launcher it'd look so perfect when I finish my AK modernization and standardization project.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I finally got around to watching some videos from that new Tracking Point rifle. They had one at the SHOT range and I have to say, Im pretty impressed at this new system. (Although I will never get one)

This is the first time the guy in the video shot this rifle. The range is about 1,200 meters (I think, Im not 100% sure about that though) and he hits on both shots. It actually seems a bit too easy to shoot this rifle. There's virtually no skill involved anymore with this technology.

edit on 23-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join