It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student was told not to wear a sweater in school that has the words "Got Land? Thank an Indian"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Why should this have been an issue in the first place
is beyond me.
A Grade 8 student was told not to wear a sweater in
school that has the words "Got Land?
She is a member of the nearby Star Blanket First Nation,
about 90 kilometers northeast of Regina.
The front of her shirt, a bright pink sweatshirt, says "Got Land?"
The back says "Thank an Indian".
The complainers against this freedom of speech
don't have a clue to what this country is about.

NEWS SOURCE

edit on 15/1/14 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Wouldent want to remind white people they raped and plundered native land.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

I probably would've asked her to remove it as well... that shirt is totally disrespectful. It's Native American, people, NOT Indian. Why we continually perpetuate a mistake made by Columbus over 500 years ago is beyond me...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Ok, I guess I'm just really dumb or really tired, but I don't get it. Could someone explain what the shirt means to me please??

Why would you thank an Indian for land???

Is it speaking to just Indian people or to anyone???

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

It's Native American, people, NOT Indian. Why we continually perpetuate a mistake made by Columbus over 500 years ago is beyond me…

True but at the same time I know a few people that live on the 'rez' that use the word themselves and don't mind much despite the historical inaccuracy.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Could someone explain what the shirt means to me please??

It's an insinuation to the manner in which settlers garnered land on native soil. More to the point, it wasn't always very ethical.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

How embarrassing -- to log on first thing in the morning and see your home province red-necking it.
Really-- out of all the clothing that has walked through school doors and they chose that to take offence to.

Indians are now politically-correctly referred to as "!st Nations".
Which makes the wording on the hoodie even more.. correct, if we're considering "1st" means "first".

She's just stating a fact Jack.
ATTENTION: All t-shirt makers - "Got land? Thank an Indian" is very very catchy.
Neechy Gear Co., off the Sweetgrass 1st Nations in Saskatchewan... are you reading???

I'll buy one - and know of a few who would love to wear one.

Out of all the items to be "offended" by... really.

As I understand it (its all relative and regional, no?) a few Indians I know say they were born an Indian, and they'll die an Indian.

Out of all the items of clothing to be offended by. I'm offended people were offended.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

3n19m470

I probably would've asked her to remove it as well... that shirt is totally disrespectful. It's Native American, people, NOT Indian. Why we continually perpetuate a mistake made by Columbus over 500 years ago is beyond me...

Oh you can't use Native American either. I think it's First Nations now. Most people say Indian though, including Indians.

Anyways I don't see what's wrong with the shirt.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

really? "native american" not "indian"? all my elders, my meme, my pepe, my uncles, my aunts, they simply refer to "the people" and they always refered to the "spirit" as "Grand Father" or "Grand Mother". and as far as land, the ONLY time it ever was mentioned as having anyting to do with the land "belonging" was when it was being created by our "Grand Mother" and "Grand Father". after the land was created it was "alive" so it was "unto itself" and thus could never be possesed. and this is what was passed from father to son, mother to daughter. at least until the people from the dawn appeared.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

tencap77

really? "native american" not "indian"? all my elders, my meme, my pepe, my uncles, my aunts, they simply refer to "the people" and they always refered to the "spirit" as "Grand Father" or "Grand Mother". and as far as land, the ONLY time it ever was mentioned as having anyting to do with the land "belonging" was when it was being created by our "Grand Mother" and "Grand Father". after the land was created it was "alive" so it was "unto itself" and thus could never be possesed. and this is what was passed from father to son, mother to daughter. at least until the people from the dawn appeared.

Well said!
So true.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Let me guess... they deemed the word "Indian" offensive... and NOT the context, riiiiiight?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

read the book "Bury my heart at wounded knee" by Dee Brown. Good book backed up by the National Archives.Tells another version of the 'founding' of this country.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

dukeofjive696969
Wouldent want to remind white people they raped and plundered native land.

That does sound right when you first hear it but... the mighty us wouldnt be the US and you wouldnt be here to complain if the land wouldnt had been developed by the white man, now would you?

Well... thanks to the white people that raped the native land you now have a country, that has a state, that has a city, that has a house, which is yours, in which you and your family live, and in that house theres a computer... and all that allows you to complain about everything and nothing wrong and right in this world.

And even if you're not an american, which for instance I'm not, that doesnt make my comment more or less true.

Everyone in your past paved the way so you can complain.

Isnt it great?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

violet

3n19m470

Oh you can't use Native American either. I think it's First Nations now. Most people say Indian though, including Indians.

Anyways I don't see what's wrong with the shirt.

I never understood that. Indian is a white man's word anyhow. You could call them rumpy-flumpy-dingle-dongs it doesn't change history, nor mean anything outside of another ethnic groups context. Nor is it what they call themselves in their own language.

In response to:

3n19m470

edit on 15-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Fact is a lot of Native American's find the word 'Indian' deeply offensive.

In much the same way a lot of black folks find the N-word deeply offensive.

Would there be people confused why this is an issue if the t-shirt had read 'Got Cotton? Thank a n-word'?

I rather suspect not. But, same thing. So personally I can totally understand why the student was asked to remove it.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The end of the story says that both sides came to an agreement and are happy. Why is this even a thread when it has been resolved?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

It was a Native American wearing it... So, apparently she was calling herself the wrong thing? If it was fine with a Native American it should not have offended anyone else...

Unless it was not the term "Indian" in which people found offense, but rather, the sentiment. Fact is, near the reservations in this country, there is a LOT of racism against Native Americans, and this is a fact. I have personally witnessed it. I was shocked to say the least...

Black people are treated 100 times better than any Native American in this country... So no, I am not shocked she was asked to remove the shirt, but I guarantee you it was not because anyone took offense to what she was calling herself.
edit on 15-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Painterz

It was a Native American wearing it... So, apparently she was calling herself the wrong thing? If it was fine with a Native American it should not have offended anyone else...
Bingo! Seems to have been missed by a number of posters. As to the shirt...the school's reaction is plain stupid.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

That's beautiful, and having it banned is the best thing that could have happened, for the publicity. I want one of those tee-shirts!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
America has become the land of the offended, & the home of the stupid. Let's just call them," The people we killed in the thousands because we wanted their land. Or the people we forced to take on christain names, or the people we tried to erradicate. THe native American Indians are the only TRUE Americans there are. It was theirs first then we took it all away from them. Nowadays we don't even want to use the word Indian to describe them. In another 500 years, they want even get a mention in the history books. Erradication complete. We could learn alot about how to live following their guide. Stayed in controllable numbers, did'nt rape the land, followed the food source, But like all other people on the planet, they went to war with each other, white man did'nt need to teach them this....It's an ingrained trait amongst humans. Simply put, we got the gold mine,, they got the shaft. As Americans, we should be damned ashamed as to how we treated and still treat the True Americans of this country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join