It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customers walk over dead body after Michigan man killed in store doorway

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I didn't see this posted. Mod's please close if I happened to miss it.

This actually happened in 2012 but recent footage of the crime was just released

The mother of the victim speaks out about the footage in the link posted below.

Very disturbing to say the least.

Recently released surveillance footage shows the moment Jheryl Wright was shot and killed in the doorway of a Kalamazoo convenience store — and the five minutes customers walked over his body to get in and out.

The mother of a Michigan man shot and killed in front of a Michigan store was outraged to learn that customers continued to walk over his body for about five minutes before anyone called for help.

Jackel Wright told WWMT-TV that she recently learned of footage from a security camera inside the Quick Stop store in Kalamazoo that shows the moment her son, Jheryl Wright, was gunned down as he walked out the door in September 2012.

“When they told me people were still coming in that gas station, stepping over my child in the doorway, I couldn’t believe it,” the teary-eyed mother told the news station.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Link to story

edit on 2-1-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
More and more 'pockets' of violence are appearing in heavily populated areas of our country, and people seem to be getting desensitized to violence.

Empathy for our fellow man seems to be rapidly declining.

Perhaps if I lived in a big city I would have a greater understanding of this 'evolution'.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

The advent of social media and pocket computers (cell phones, ipods, etc) has just made it that much worse. I'm surprised people weren't taking selfies with the corpse to be honest, but I'm the cynical type. Unfortunately I see things getting even worse. The moral degradation of society is in full effect and increasing at an accelerated rate.

As a father I can't imagine what it must have felt like for the mother to see people showing such callous disregard for the life of her child. Tragic really.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I remember and experiment that was done years ago and repeated on Letterman and a few other shows.

They had a man lie motionless in the street in 6 Western countries and counted how many people walked past and how long it took before someone checked on him, the US came last by a mile, in 1 run the guy got up after over an hour and about 50 people walking past without 1 checking on him

On average it was about twice as long for someone to check on him in the US than the 2nd worse which was France.

Apathy is alive and well

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I couldn't imagine myself simply walking by an injured or dying person without trying to help.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
S&F

Sign of the times, it's the American way.

We are safer now that our military fellow Americans are dropping DU bombs all over certain countries in the world- to keep us safe.

We are safe. We are a symbol of Freedom & Morale. We are America .

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

They probably thought he was passed out on drugs.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

But he was shot.

There must have been signs that he was injured.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I am going to state the obvious here. The victim was black, the store clerk was black, and every customer stepping over the dead body was black. That's what the video shows anyways. I am not turning this into a racial thing as to why the cops weren't called until a good five minutes later or what not, however, it was quite noticeable that every character in this episode of violence was indeed black. So, maybe black people don't like to call the cops in for stuff. Or maybe it's a cultural thing. I don't know. Strange to think that people just walked passed a dead body like that and continued their convenience shopping.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Won't and will not comment for fear of being banned (and rational). OK, teeny tiny comment.

In some societies you just cannot prepare for the unexpected. Wait a minute, in this society it should be expected. It will happen again. And again.

In defends of the peeps stepping over dis person, I would ignore him too. Do not get involved in this neighbourhood. Buy your # and on with your day.

I'd like to think what I wrote was a crock but it's not. What a sad world.

edit on 2-1-2014 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

UFO1414

In defends of the peeps stepping over dis person, I would ignore him too. Do not get involved. PAY for your smokes and be done with it. Much, much safer.

edit on 2-1-2014 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

You are broken. And I don't mean just your will, I mean a fundamental, soul deep, can't be fixed, broken.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The two guys in the store who left you can't blame them for wanting out of a store with one entrance when a person was just shot. They might be out side waiting for police to show up. The other guy who walked in the store most likely asked the store clerk did you call 9-11? And then stepped back out side. Hell with them being black the cops show up with a man shot in the door way they might shot a person in the store for being a suspect. Sad to say but true. Now the store clerk is the one who should of been on the phone to cops right a way. But they even tell store clerks never get involved with things. Hell even if they are robbed they are supposed to just hand it over and smile.
edit on 2-1-2014 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Personally, I would find it difficult not to help but can understand what you are saying.

It's sad that our society has come to this.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Please tell me why I am broken. I am all up for a growing up lesson.

My comment has to deal with the lower class/poverty society that has the ultimate hurdle to climb and the reality is it ain't gonna get fixed by anybody but themselves. Government has cast the lower class into the river with a two ton life preserver. The middle class is next and has already started to collapse.

Your mind wandered to it's own insecurities.

The US Government should be tried for treason. Please tell me why I am broken.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Hollie
I am going to state the obvious here. The victim was black, the store clerk was black, and every customer stepping over the dead body was black. That's what the video shows anyways. I am not turning this into a racial thing as to why the cops weren't called until a good five minutes later or what not, however, it was quite noticeable that every character in this episode of violence was indeed black. So, maybe black people don't like to call the cops in for stuff. Or maybe it's a cultural thing. I don't know. Strange to think that people just walked passed a dead body like that and continued their convenience shopping.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

Only a child would come up with that conclusion. Either that or you're a troll.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Hollie
I am going to state the obvious here. The victim was black, the store clerk was black, and every customer stepping over the dead body was black. That's what the video shows anyways.

I've just got to say;

When seeing this story, I didn't see black, white, purple, blue or orange. I just saw a person. A person that needed help or concern from fellow humans.

edit on 2-1-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Maybe it's not an unusual occurrence in the area where it happened.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me a bit. A number of years ago, I worked at a service station. The building began filling with smoke so I called the fire department. They arrived full siren with three trucks. I was the only person there when they arrived, and they ushered me to a safe area. As I was sitting there watching, several customers showed up. " Does this mean I can't get gas?" One guy tried to convince me that I could still sell him some cigarettes!
So many people have no common sense. Personally, if I saw three fire trucks with lights on and a dozen firemen in full uniform working outside a gas station, I'd be getting as far away from that baby as possible! I was too close for comfort as it was.
Even now working at a grocery, I see people with their heads so far up their backsides every day. Some of these folks take away any hope for the human race. Unfortunately, I could see people going on with their business still if this were to happen at my workplace. Not all people, but quite a few wouldn't understand why a murder should stop them from getting that precious bag of Fritos.
I could also see my boss closing the store, business loss or not. He's a great person like that.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

I can't understand how anyone could live in an urban area - large city - This could not happen in a town of 10,000 or less.

What is wrong with people these days?

Where did our humanity disappear to?

This is sickening.

I guess maybe the population thinks the police, or authorities, are just as criminal as the person that pulled the trigger on the gun.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

SixX18

They probably thought he was passed out on drugs.

That reminds me of years ago when a diabetic man was having a reaction just outside a little diner and people thought he was drunk. They kept laughing and making jokes. Luckily the owner called the cops and they figured out what was really going on. Poor guy. I tried talking to the man but he was unresponsive. I just told him to hold on and that help was coming.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join