It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's climate warming faster than feared, scientists say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
this article is so hilariously incorrect that many may think it true. Just because it was supposedly the hottest NON-EL NINO year does not support the global warming theory.
World Climate Warming. . .

As the planet marked its fourth hottest year on record, a study published in the journal Nature found increasing levels of carbon dioxide will lead to thinner ocean clouds and reduce their cooling impact, causing temperature rises of at least 5.6F (3C) over the course of the century. The team of scientists said the findings show some climate models have been too “optimistic” and previous estimates of a minimum temperature rise of only 2.7F (1.5C) could now be discounted. The optimistic models did not properly assess the impact of water evaporation, which sometimes rises only a short distance into the atmosphere and causes updraughts that reduce cloud cover, the study found.

In fact two points stand clear. 1) there has been a steady decline in global temperatures over the last 10 years and 2) 2013 was recorded as one of the coolest years ever recorded. It may be warmer than other cooler years but that alone is not enough to support global warming.

Global Warming is still just a cash cow waiting to produce Multi-national taxation and make Al Gore, prince Charles and Geo Soros more wealthier.

edit on 2-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Damn, they gave me a false idea that it is going to warm up here. It's been ten below zero F here for many nights in the last month. I think I might as well buy a Santa suit and train for the job, this will soon be the new North Pole.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's minus 40 here with a little wind. It will be like that for a few days. Boy, am I glad it is warmer! lol

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
A hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! A HA ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! Oh stop, you're killing me... Was this written by one of the dolt Global Warming scientist stuck in the Arctic ice to study the thaw - in the summer? A ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is not science, it is mantra. Global warming is over for the time being. The world has been in a cold phase for years now, but the "experts" cannot see it yet. Professional careers have been staked on eternal warming, and empirical science has been thrown under the bus. Weather, climate, and world mean temperatures are cyclical, not steady-state. The warm phase now past was a rather minor blip in the world's climate history, which has been made into a mountain and a cash-cow. I've been saying this for years, and am now vindicated.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

I actually read the linked article cuz I wanted to know what you're talking about. Still not sure. Is it this bit at the end? ...Do you have links to prove the claims are wrong?

...The debate comes as Australia in 2013 marked its hottest year since reliable recordings began in 1910. The world’s driest continent also recorded its hottest day, hottest month, hottest winter’s day and hottest summer.

The run of warmer weather began late in 2012 and was so great that Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology last year changed its official weather forecasting map to include new colours - deep purple and pink - for areas with temperatures above 50C (122F).

Globally, according to figures released in December by the United States National Climatic Data Center, 2013 was set to be the fourth hottest year in 134 years of records behind 2010, 2005 and 1998.

Meteorologists said it was the hottest year on record for a non-El Niño year.

Thanks, sofi
edit on 2/1/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The OP story appears to be academics who live in the proverbial ivory tower. It makes perfect sense if that inaccurate prediction is based on other garbage in/garbage out computer models, as they've been using for 15+ years now. All, generally, wrong. If that's where they come up with that? I can see how they came to those conclusions.

If they stick their head out the window of their ivory tower, I'd caution them...It's snowing and the windchill is a real nasty thing at the moment.

* BTW... We ought to play a game sometime. We can each get an equal number of PhD experts on either side of the "It's warmer! no..It's Cooler!" debate and compare credentials with backgrounds. It ought to be fun, since there is no shortage of fully qualified academics claiming either thing at the same time. One or both are wildly off base...obviously.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The price humanity will pay to reach your burden of proof is basically a guarantee of an ELE.

Corporations are funding the science denial movement and smearing scientists. How do you know if you are a corporate automaton?

Baseless, knee-jerk response to scientific observation and any attempt at modelling the future. 9/10 times there will be no alternate science offered, just talk. I realize that this is the path of least resistance that people cling to, but I see it as immoral and deeply ignorant.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

obviously, you have some material basis for your point of view. Can you reveal that? There are those that would love to see the science or hear the Bible verses or whatever you have.

This topic is of vital importance to every soul on this planet. Given that and the high stakes, you should provide ample basis and not just cavalier talk.

Using empty words and baseless belief to influence people is not only ignorant, it's immoral.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

ChesterJohn

In fact two points stand clear. 1) there has been a steady decline in global temperatures over the last 10 years

No there hasn't. I challenge you to back up this claim.

and

2) 2013 was recorded as one of the coolest years ever recorded. It may be warmer than other cooler years but that alone is not enough to support global warming.

This is also a lie. Please back up these claims.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Hasn't been hot at all so far this summer. I wouldn't mind 3 or 4 degrees rise. I think global warming is real but maybe the effects of a 3 or 4 degree rise have been blown out of proportion. I can't really see the world ending because the average global temp rises 3 or 4 degrees. Besides at this point there's very little anyone can do about it. As far as global greenhouse gas emissions it's business as usual and no significant reductions are happening. A bit here and there but governments don't seem concerned about it much at all.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Perhaps, as some scientists claim, we have begun to enter a new mini-ice age. Now, wouldn't that cause some world-wide mass panic?!

Shh.....best not let the sheeples find out. Let's have some dis-info going as long as possible.

Sincerely,
TPTB

P.S. I sure hope they don't figure out what the underground cities we built with their tax dollars are really for! We only have enough room for the 'elitest' elites!
edit on 40000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

If they stick their head out the window of their ivory tower, I'd caution them...It's snowing and the windchill is a real nasty thing at the moment.

I live in Winterpeg. It's been Colder than the North Pole and the surface of Mars. I am hiding inside with the heat cranked to the max. I LOVE being outside but things are getting SO bad. Can't go out in the summer either - have to hide inside cuz the heat waves are bloody KILLING people, animals, everything. And every so often some idiot thinks they can leave their sleeping baby in the car while they shop then they come out and the poor wee thing is flippin fried. I kid you not. Well, not just here in Winterpeg - sounds like everyone's hurtin, even the fish. Killing cold in the winter. Killing heat in the summer.

Ya jist can't win.

edit on 2/1/14 by soficrow because: wds

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

BTW... We ought to play a game sometime. We can each get an equal number of PhD experts on either side of the "It's warmer! no..It's Cooler!"

A better game might be to tally up how many PHD's are on each side.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

JimTSpock

Hasn't been hot at all so far this summer. I wouldn't mind 3 or 4 degrees rise. I think global warming is real but maybe the effects of a 3 or 4 degree rise have been blown out of proportion. I can't really see the world ending because the average global temp rises 3 or 4 degrees. Besides at this point there's very little anyone can do about it. As far as global greenhouse gas emissions it's business as usual and no significant reductions are happening. A bit here and there but governments don't seem concerned about it much at all.

I live in Winterpeg - the summers are getting hot as Hell, winters cold as deep space.

3 or 4 degrees change won't cause the world to "end" - just a whole buncha stuff we kinda rely on. Maybe check out a bit more info. Please, do not be so fatalistic. (:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yeah, people really should learn how climate works before commenting on the debate. They might then learn there's no debate to be had and we're just in for a chaotic ride until we either pull our collective head out of our collective ass and solve it or we die. As you know, global warming will cause extreme weather, including winter extremes, for about as long as there is ice in the Arctic, once the ice is gone then we will have the global warming everyone thinks the term means.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

obviously, you have some material basis for your point of view. Can you reveal that? There are those that would love to see the science or hear the Bible verses or whatever you have.

This topic is of vital importance to every soul on this planet. Given that and the high stakes, you should provide ample basis and not just cavalier talk.

Using empty words and baseless belief to influence people is not only ignorant, it's immoral.

You should look in the mirror as you are providing the perfect example of empty words and baseless beliefs as well.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Whoa. Inverse had good points, politely presented. I quite like wrabbit (and you too) but won't give blind support. Maybe unconditional love but not blind support. Maybe lighten up?

Thanks, sofi

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

As you know, global warming will cause extreme weather, including winter extremes, for about as long as there is ice in the Arctic, once the ice is gone then we will have the global warming everyone thinks the term means.

Yep.

Knew that.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Oh, I assure you I don't go by Bible verses, blind guesses or tea leaves for signs. I really meant experts and degreed ones at that. Same as the Man-Made Warming movement has plenty of. Men like Al Gore made a personal declaration that the Science was known, all but confirmed and a done deal. Al Gore is no scientist and he made a lousy politician for what he DID do for a living. He should leave science to those who do it for a living. Not merely speak of it.

I try and focus on those who do it for a living for seeing who says what on such a complex and multi-layered issue. Such as these examples here....

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism

(Sorry that is linked via Google.. The idiot coders for the Forbes page have so mangled their code, I can't even get a link to work to them without breaking in-line on every attempt??)

The article is Forbes Magazine and the report it's referencing is Seen Here and was produced out of the University of Alabama at Huntsville.

NCDC data shows that the contiguous USA has not warmed in the past decade, summers are cooler, winters are getting colder

Now the source of that one isn't what I'd call above reproach for a Congressional Hearing or something...but the data it's based on sure is. If one scrolls down, you'll note they're using NOAA charts for the data with the link directly to the NOAA interface anyone can use to pull those same ones or others for direct comparison and contrast.

You want to know why I really don't listen to media or most of the people who use media for their original sourcing on any of this? I can sum it up with two headlines with just one quote from each. It makes the perfect picture of why this debate is hopelessly compromised for logical discussion, often, before it even starts.

Global Warming Hasn't Stopped: It Was the Hottest Decade on Record

But according to the scientific community, the experts who have decades of training in the field of atmospheric and climactic study, our planet continues to warm. In fact, we just came through the hottest decade ever recorded.

Next decade 'may see no warming'

A new computer model developed by German researchers, reported in the journal Nature, suggests the cooling will counter greenhouse warming.
However, temperatures will again be rising quickly by about 2020, they say.

The first article is September, 2013. The second one was May of 2008. Both make some tall claims and both cite some serious sourcing to back it. You may notice that the way the dates of the two fall? They contradict each other. If only by a bit.

...these days, we're supposed to believe or pretend (if nothing else) that a few years between reports should reset things and make one irrelevant to another. They have A LOT of such contradictions to explain before I'll even entertain them for taking the Global Warming argument seriously. The habit of sweeping them all under the rug of "big oil, big money just lies" is the level of a Kindergartner arguing something which proof sits in plain view to question.

This kind of contradiction from not just media but from people in science as well, has defined this topic from the moment someone said it was Man-Made, someone else realize that meant man 'could fix it', and someone stood to make a bank by trying.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join