It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations on what to do in New Orleans, LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
What are some things to do in New Orleans, LA? I've never truly been except as a pass through.

Business related? For those who've been there or live there what are your top things to do to have a good time while visiting ? Under-age teenager in tow.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

DaphneApollo
What are some things to do in New Orleans, LA? ... Under-age teenager in tow.

New Orleans is full of history. Museums everywhere. It's been awhile (my wife and I spent an anniversary there many mooms ago), but you could fill a day with museums within walking distance of Jackson Square.

If you like music, plan to spend some time sitting on park benches, listening to buskers (if the weather is right). My brother and I have passed large chunks of time doing just that.

And food... Don't even start.

BTW, don't even bother with Bourbon St. Dirty, trashy tourist trap.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
And do not, by any means, miss begniets and café au lait at the Café du Monde on Jackson Square! Get a table by the sidewalk and a busker just might come up and play for you.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Oh yes the food is awesome, the WW2 museum is really really good, that was my
personal favorite. The bars also very often have live bands, i spent most of my
time enjoying the blues.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Hi D-A, I hope this reply is not too late. I've been on vacation and I'm just seeing your post.
Here are our recommendations for a visit that is teenager friendly.

Audubon Zoo-We usually have mixed feelings about zoos but this one is modern and beautiful with large habitats.
www.auduboninstitute.org...

The Aquarium of the Americas-Fun for all ages.

If your teen has never seen an I-MAX film it's pretty impressive. Try to catch a 3d movie, it's a blast.

Another cool theater-The Theaters at Canal Place-Not your typical theater, located in a very swanky mall at the edge of the French Quarter.
www.thetheatres.com...
While at the mall, find the glass elevator that leads to the lobby of the Wyatt hotel, take the elevator to the 11th floor and check out the view!

If you think your teen would enjoy seeing some cool museums-
Here's a link to all of them-
www.neworleansonline.com...
If you are really into art as we are you will probably like NOMA, lots of old art, located in beautiful city park.
www.noma.org...
Or, for a more modern museum, we love Ogden-
www.ogdenmuseum.org...
There are also some really great museums for history buffs, such as The Old Mint-

Want to do something really different? How about Kayaking in Bayou St. John.
Bayou St. John Is the neighborhood next to city park, we Kayak there at least a dozen times a year. We have our own kayaks but on certain days you can rent a Kayak and float around this area and it's really peaceful and beautiful-
kayakitiyat.com... (there are others as well)

Although we don't recommend Bourbon St., the French Quarter is still a treat for just walking around and checking out the cool shops and for people watching. See Royal St. for awesome galleries and antique shops and running parallel is Chartres St. and Decatur St., more cool shops and plenty of places where you can eat and people watch.

Here's a fun thing our guest usually think is cool, the river ferry-
Even if you just ride the ferry over then come right back it's cheap and fun!

If you want a more elaborate river ride check out this one, the steamboat Natchez-
www.steamboatnatchez.com...

Go for a walk along the Moon Walk, it's free!
www.aviewoncities.com...

Ride the streetcar up St. Charles, see some beautiful homes of the garden district-

Want to see a live play? Check out La Petit theater, one of the oldest in the U.S., located just off Jackson Square-
www.lepetittheatre.com...

If your teen is into live music, many of these venues are for all ages, check first though-
www.offbeat.com...
www.wwoz.org...

Check out the old French Market-
www.frenchmarket.org...

Take a carriage ride, a great way to see the Quarter and get some questionable history lessons-
www.neworleanscarriages.com...

Ghosts and haunted history tours-
www.hauntedneworleanstours.com...

Attend mass at St. Louis Cathedral-
stlouiscathedral.org...

There's usually something cool going on over at the Mahalia Jackson Theater, home of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra-
www.lpomusic.com...

For a truly unique New Orleans experience, participate in a Second Line Parade, you can just watch but most people find themselves dancing and parading-
www.bestofneworleans.com...

There is an area of Magazine St. we love also, many cool shops and of course great food, very walkable.

Our favorite places to eat-
Cochon www.cochonrestaurant.com...
Ignatius (tell Rodney T&A sent you) www.urbanspoon.com...
Mother's (don't let the long line dissuade you, it moves very fast) www.mothersrestaurant.net...
French Market Restaurant (if you like raw oysters and crab cakes, the rest of the menu is mediocre, sit on the balcony!) www.frenchmarketrestaurant.com...
El Gato Negro (really great mexican food) elgatonegronola.com...
Sake Cafe (great sushi in a beautiful room) sakecafeuptown.us...
And last but not least, Coop's place, Coop's is a dive bar that serves food. But I assure you it will be one of the best cajun meals you ever eat. They do NOT allow anyone under 21 through the door, so what you can do is order something to go and have yourself a picnic or take it back to the hotel. If your hotel is many blocks away, hire a pedicab to wait outside the door and as soon as you have your food hop in the pedicab and they will rush you back to your hotel before your food gets cold. Sounds like a lot of trouble but you won't be sorry.
Coop's www.coopsplace.net...
We recommend the taste plate, you get a sample of many items this way. The cajun fried chicken is indescribable, I've never had anything like it. The smoked duck quesadillas are great, the redfish meuniere is good.
New Orleans Pedicabs- www.nolapedicabs.com...
We could recommend many others, if we knew your taste and budget.

Please fell free to ask us anything about New Orleans, we've been entertaining guest here for many years.

edit on 12-1-2014 by tanda7 because: eta

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Thanks so much T&A. You guys are Awesome!!!!!

Really mean that. It's going to take me awhile to look at your links. I'm going to.

I will go someday, hopefully sooner rather than later ( years ).

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

We thought we would dig a little deeper and share some of the more unusual options for the adventurous traveler. We don't necessarily recommend these for you but perhaps someone reading may be interested.

Our "Strange and Unusual" things to do list;

See an amazing collection of New Orleans centric stuff at The Backstreet Cultural Museum
www.backstreetmuseum.org...

See a cool voodoo museum
www.voodoomuseum.com...

Visit a voodoo temple
www.voodoospiritualtemple.org...

Go bowling at a real cajun zydeco party
www.rocknbowl.com...

See a cool butterfly garden and have a snack made from bugs

You can eat in the back of a pick-up truck at Jacques Imos Cafe, even if you don't eat in the truck, the food is great.
jacques-imos.com...

Enjoy a voodoo inspired day spa at The Ritz Carlton, ask for the "Marie Laveau Voodoo Love Massage and Bath"
www.ritzcarlton.com...

Have some old school Italian ice cream
angelobrocatoicecream.com...

Enjoy the free buffet at the Hare Krishna temple, the "Love Feast" is every Sunday night, get there by 5:30 to
enjoy the blessing before the meal. The food is quite good, diners are welcome to make a donation, we usually pay $5
iskcon-nola.org...

Eat food from our best food truck, Taceaux Loceaux, Anthony Bourdain loved it!
To find them at any given time, either follow on twitter or facebook
nolafoodtrucks.com...

Check out Mardi Gras World and see the carpenters and artist building parade floats
www.mardigrasworld.com...

Buy a used book and support anarchy at the Iron Rail Book Collective
www.ironrail.org...

Have a unique dinning experience at Root, foodies and gastronauts only
rootnola.com...

See a production at the Marigny Opera House, in a re-purposed, beautiful old church
www.marignyoperahouse.org...

Catch a fringe show at the Shadow Box Theater
theshadowboxtheatre.com...

See Rebirth Brass Band at the Maple Leaf Bar, this is NOT a tourist bar, it's uptown,
away from the quarter and it's a party like no other
www.mapleleafbar.com...

Drive a race car!
www.nolamotor.com...

Have a drink and a swim at a clothing optional poolside bar. It's not creepy or sleazy like you might think but certainly not for everyone.
This is one of our better kept secrets so no linky, find it yourself.

Enjoy!

edit on 13-1-2014 by tanda7 because: eta

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Have some old school Italian ice cream

Angelo Brocatos the Italian district/area is what I'm interested in most. I've been going through all of your recommendations and there is so much to do and see there, and it's been close to me all this time, quick jaunt to NOLA.

The River cruise is a definate to do. Museums, Aqauriam, and others. So many links and vids withnin those links. I think you've covered it ALL.

Thanks T&A once again.
And everyone else who gave recommendations, Cafe Du Monde, definite on the list.

eta: don't worry about starring this post, I'm enjoying the info.

edit on 14-1-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join