It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada County Church Ordered To Remove “Support Our Troops” Sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

NEVADA COUNTY (CBS13) – A church is in a clash with Nevada County after being told to take down a sign with an American flag and a message to support the troops.

Simple Truth Church put up the sign to cover an old, rundown billboard. However the “Support Our Troops” sign is becoming quite controversial. If the church doesn’t remove the sign, it could be fined.

Most drivers CBS13 spoke with did not have a problem with the sign.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” said one person.

But for others, it’s an eyesore. It’s for that reason someone complained to the county to have it taken down.

“It’s a little surprising. All we meant to do was beautify the area, the corner, and it’s a reminder for me — for everyone that drives by — to pray for the troops,” church member Julia Stokes said.
Bill and Julia Stokes say the sign was meant to send a positive message and the church never knew it would stir up such controversy.

“Why would you knock something that has an America flag on it that says ‘Support Our Troops?’ I have no idea; I really don’t,” said Bill.

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

Trying to figure out if it was the flag that offended somebody or the 'Support Our Troops'
Unless it's the fact that it was put there by a church, which advertises themselves

Nothing on it offends me really

I guess being Patriotic is considered offensive now
Or maybe being a Christian is the problem

--------------

ETA: It has more to do with lack of permit, not so much the content as the article would lead you to believe.

The county regulations state that no changes to an existing sign can occur without getting approval from the Nevada County Planning Department first.

"Actually didn't have anything to do with what the signs says; what it has to do with is it's out of compliance with county ordinance on signage," said Pastor Alaways.

The county Planning Department says that the church can apply for a permit. It'll take about a month, and then the billboard can be put back up.

www.myfoxphilly.com...

edit on 31-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2013 by snarky412 because: add new link & exnews

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Maybe someone found out it was put up by the church. Some people are just intolerant.

Sad day when people complain about supporting our troops.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
From the linked article:

according to Nevada County officials, Simple Truth Church needed to have a permit before making the change. And, if they don’t remove it, the county may.

Maybe once it was pointed out to local officials they felt compelled to follow their local Ordinances regarding signage...

Hopefully if the church gets a permit they can keep or re-install the sign.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Bassago

Maybe someone found out it was put up by the church. Some people are just intolerant.

Sad day when people complain about supporting our troops.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell it's an 'eye-sore'

Sounds like someone just being an horses azz, just because they can
And the fact that they may get their way about by having the sign removed just irks my azz

reply to post by Elton

The person who considered it an 'eye-sore' must have kept on until the officials found an excuse to give the church as to why it was a problem.
Hopefully, if it's a simple matter of proper permit, the church will comply. IF that's the case

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Taking into account the angle of perspective, and the large size, it looks like the top half is just a giant self serving advertisement for the church itself (with the troops as an afterthought underneath).

Did they pay the billboard owner for the advertising space?

Perhaps it's one of these reasons the advertisement received complaints, and not some notion that "Patriotic is considered offensive now".

Edit: Ah, it appears they skipped getting the proper permit to put up their advertisement. Generally not a wise move, and has nothing to do with silly straw-man notions of "patriotism being offensive".
edit on 12/31/13 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

redmage
(with the troops as an afterthought underneath).

Yep.

Hate it when the do that

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

From the linked article:

according to Nevada County officials, Simple Truth Church needed to have a permit before making the change. And, if they don’t remove it, the county may.

Maybe once it was pointed out to local officials they felt compelled to follow their local Ordinances regarding signage...

Hopefully if the church gets a permit they can keep or re-install the sign.

Also from the article:

The church will meet with the county sometime next week to determine exactly what will be done with the sign. In the meantime, members hope they can keep it up.

The previous realty sign stood for nearly 20 years without any permit issues.

Maybe if it was put up by someone other than the church, maybe it wouldn't have drawn as much attention
They are planning to meet next week, so maybe they can get this straightened out

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I was not sure how to take the last sentence (why I did not quote it).

I can take it to mean: The previous realty sign stood for nearly 20 years without any permit issues because they filed for a permit when they put up the billboard.

or to mean: The previous realty sign stood for nearly 20 years without any permit issues and never filed for a permit and nobody cared.

I suppose I try and be optimistic that it's more a bureaucratic / ordinance thing rather than anti-troop or anti-church stance.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Edit: Ah, it appears they skipped getting the proper permit to put up their advertisement. Generally not a wise move, and has nothing to do with silly straw-man notions of "patriotism being offensive".

According to the article, the previous billboard was there for 20 years with no permit issues
It was getting old and worn out, so the church replaced it.

Yes, they were informed about the permit and are supposed to meet next week with the city officials.
But ....someone had complained about it being an 'eye-sore'

I've seen big billboards like that before, usually one on top of the other and no one complains about the size

Either the fact that it was put up by a church or maybe because it advertises the church, someone didn't like it.

Most drivers CBS13 spoke with did not have a problem with the sign.
“It doesn’t bother me at all,” said one person.

But for others, it’s an eyesore. It’s for that reason someone complained to the county to have it taken down.

That's why I said it didn't bother me....it's not offensive

And yes, there are many people out there that have no love of the flag or our troops, much less a church, so yeah, they would love to make a big stink about something like this.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

Regardless, hopefully they'll get it resolved.

But there are people that get huffy when it comes to churches and our troops.
And from the article, I got the impression it was mainly the content of the sign that drew attention, got a complaint about it and then came the permit problem.

Much respect~
snarky

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
the complainer probably didn't even live there.

i'll bet 100 virtual bucks.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

Hey, I found another article that has more details

The county regulations state that no changes to an existing sign can occur without getting approval from the Nevada County Planning Department first.

"Actually didn't have anything to do with what the signs says; what it has to do with is it's out of compliance with county ordinance on signage," said Pastor Alaways.

The county Planning Department says that the church can apply for a permit. It'll take about a month, and then the billboard can be put back up.

www.myfoxphilly.com...

So, maybe MSM sensationalism at work again?
Both titles from the articles are misleading, like the controversy is due to the content of the sign rather than the legal aspects concerning city ordinances

Once they get their permits in order, the sign shouldn't be a problem

Wonder what the person who didn't like it will do next to get it removed?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Being a non profit 501c type organization, they kind of sell their rights.
Maybe the county doesn't support war lies.
Good for them.
The church could go rogue and start paying taxes and get back their rights.

top topics

join