It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Illness In Texas That Has killed 6 People, Is NOT The H1N1, Looks More Like A Deadly Avian

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
wordpressHere is a quote from the mother of one of the victims of this flu like illness:

The mother of the youngest of eight confirmed cases of a mystery illness in Montgomery County is sharing her son’s story.
Dathany Reed, 41, wasn’t feeling well on Thanksgiving. He called out sick from his job at the Golden Corral and went to see doctors at Conroe Regional Medical Center.

Odessa Reed says doctors sent her son home with several prescriptions. She said her son was admitted to the hospital’s emergency room the next day and ended up on life support.

“It doesn’t make sense,” said Odessa Reed. “How can you talk to a person one day, and they say, I’m not feeling good, and the next day, that person is on life support.” Dathany’s 41st birthday came and went on November 30 while his kidneys and other organs deteriorated

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Wordpress.com

This is a very virulent strain of SOMETHING! We have not seen this flu here in the US at all. Begins with cough, which rapidly leads to shortness of breath and then proceeds to halt resperations all todether. The illness then cause rapid kidney failure and the systemic organ failure!

All patients have tested negative for H1N1 (Swine Flu). I am of the opinion this is a form of Avian flu commonly known as Bird flu...It is killing people within hours! Doctors are stumped and quite honestly, this is very scary news!

We need to find out as much as possible about this mysterious illness that could shortly be spreading in epidemic
proportions.

I am an RN and a research scientist. I am digging to see what I can find. Keep in mind we will not be told everything that is going on with this deadly virus.

Please try and see if you can find out more about this mystery.

As always thanks for your time.

Pax

edit on 12/27/2013 by paxnatus because: update

edit on 12/27/2013 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sorry if I am missing something but according the the article it has been confirmed as H1N1. Is there another link that says it has not? I couldn't get the link you have to work but I went to the site to read for myself.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I wonder if the Golden Corral connection has anything to do with this...? There have been some youtube vids about how filthy some of the locations are.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Is it still just 8 cases?
It was 8 cases last week, so that might be a good sign that this isn't spreading like 'wildfire'.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
can you edit the link - it is broken...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I apologize for the broken link. Try this one...Thanks.

Pax

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It was reported during the 1918-1919 flu that young healthy individuals were fine at breakfast and dead by dinner the same night. The cytokine storm created by their own healthy immune systems overwhelmed them and they drowned in their own fluids. There are some reports that the aspirin recommended at the time made the reactions even worse and may have played no small part in killing them.

My own grandmother's older brother died just days after his high school graduation; the family never really got over it. Whole families were decimated of their young men and women. At least 50 million died globally, and an unknown number in the entire continents of Africa and Asia where counting the dead was the least of their problems.

This book bird flu book does a wonderful job of detailing both the horrors of that era, and the chance we're taking globally having our food animals grown in such unnatural crowded conditions.

The CDC and WHO have already stopped, barely in time, numerous outbreaks by culling millions of birds; it's only a matter of time until they don't catch it before it escapes containment, especially with global air travel being what it is. A patient zero could get on a plane in Hong Kong feeling well, and be spreading it for an entire flight with numerous layovers before they debark finally in a large city like New York. It would be impossible to stop something both sufficiently virulent, and that keeps its victims alive just long enough to spread it, in this scenario.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CINY8

Here they state that this mystery illness is NOT the flu:

So far, half of the people who have come down with it have died. According to the health department, all of the patients have had flu-like and/or pneumonia-like symptoms. However, all of them have tested negative for the flu

Illness has flu like symptoms but deterioration of the organs leading to death is extremely rapid! We have not dealt with a "flu" like this as of yet! It does however, sound like the deadly "Bird Flu" that we have been warned about for years.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Pax

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

There is already a thread on this.
H1N1 kills 6 people, leaves 14 critically ill in Texas
The CDC says that it is H1N1.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

paxnatus

Doctors are stumped and quite honestly, this is very scary news!

Death isnt anything to be afraid of. In the end, everybody dies.

Could you imagine if no one ever died?

Now that would be scary.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Excellent post signal! Exactly, I agree with you 100%...Although the 1918 flu did cause pulmonary edema leading to rapid, as you desribed It also caused necrotic tissue to form in hours....If you remember, that particular flu caused its victims to turn purple very quickly.

We have no idea what the actual condition of the bodies are, however, I am curious to hear about skin integrity. That would give us a little more insight into what this illness is.

Think about this, what type of pathogen with flu like symptoms would mask the actual antibody being expressed???

In a cytokine storm the immune system is on overload, as you described. This, however seems to be a different type of death...within hours people are being placed on life support and organs shutting down.

I was able to find this, please take a look. The primary cause for systemic organ failure by a pathogen is SEPSIS. It can begin with a cytokine reaction, however the trigger is much more aggressive altering the bodies chemistry step by step:

The European Society of Intensive Care organized a consensus meeting in 1994 to create the "Sepsis-Related Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA)" score to describe and quantitate the degree of organ dysfunction in six organ systems. Using similar physiologic variables the Multiple Organ Dysfunction Score was developed.[1] Four clinical phases have been suggested:

Stage 1 the patient has increased volume requirements and mild respiratory alkalosis which is accompanied by oliguria, hyperglycemia and increased insulin requirements.

Stage 2 the patient is tachypneic, hypocapnic and hypoxemic; develops moderate liver dysfunction and possible hematologic abnormalities.

Stage 3 the patient develops shock with azotemia and acid-base disturbances; has significant coagulation abnormalities.

Stage 4 the patient is vasopressor dependent and oliguric or anuric; subsequently develops ischemic colitis and lactic acidosis.

Very interesting but sepsis always involves a high fever. However, corticoid steroids or prednisone which would be initial treatment of cytokine reaction has the ability to mask a fever altogether.

wikipedia

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I posted this in the other thread - some questions in the medical field as to what's going on and whether this is a new more virulent strain.

The correspondent has added the following commentary in relation to the information above. "This outbreak now appears to involve an H1N1 virus. The vaccine inefficacy statement from the County health authorities press release highlights, coupled with the apparent unreliability of rapid diagnostic tests cited in media reports, suggests to me that H1N1 virus circulating in Texas may be a new [more virulent ?] drifted or reasserted strain.

The current Texas state flu bulletin for week of 7-14 Dec 2013 issued today (20 Dec 2013) does not seem to discuss this issue www.dshs.state.tx.us..." It seems likely that the fatalities observed in Texas are due to a possibly more virulent strain of the seasonal H1N1 influenza virus, rather than a novel pathogenic agent. Further information is awaited to substantiate this conclusion. - Mod.CP]

www.promedmail.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Your wordpress article is "old" - from December 17, 2013. Thought I'd check CIDRAP and the CDC to set you straight, but no cigar. I think you're on to something here. I wouldn't jump on avian flu just yet - MERS is a contender at least. But something is going on - only 25% of the Montgomery cases are confirmed as H1N1 compared to 98% elsewhere. With no diagnosis.

CIDRAP, December 27, 2013: US flu activity keeps climbing

Of the positive specimens, more than 98% were influenza A viruses, and 2009 H1N1—the former pandemic virus, now a seasonal strain—accounted for nearly all of those that were subtyped. Only 1.8% of the positive specimens were influenza B isolates.

Last week the 2009 H1N1 virus was blamed for 2 of 8 severe respiratory illnesses, with 4 deaths, in the Montgomery County Hospital District near Houston, Tex.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
As I've shared in the 'extreme symptoms' flu strain(s) thread, the symptoms I've been experience for the past 11 days and counting are so scary compared to any other flu I've been stricken with.

Simply put, they're miserable and just seem to linger instead of getting any better. The shooting pain all over the face was the first symptom for me, even before getting the itchy throat. And the amount of phlegm I've had to cough up constantly is ginormous. I dont know if its the cytokine storms or something else; antibiotics & lots, lots of herbal remedies (ginger, oreganol, strawberries, citrus, cinammon, etc) don't seem to be helping at all.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeegads, that Bloomberg post is apparently telling people which stocks to buy and sell (buy pharmaceuticals, sell China Airlines) to profit from the upcoming flu season. Even more profit if it's a pandemic, yay! Horror-ray! for Capitalism!
I couldn't get the audio to work, so maybe they spent a few seconds lamenting the state of the world and all those who can't afford to invest in stocks right now, though...

Something to keep in mind if there ever is more than a 'usual' flu season. Back when I worked in a hospital as a medical records technician, we all got sent out memos during the SARS scare, telling us that 'it would be our duty' to report to the hospital in case of a pandemic and assist wherever needed; including in the ER, if all the docs and nurses were taken ill or dead, and non-technically trained people were going to take their place. The overall reaction to this memo was, 'yeah, right...'

Add to this that there are only a few respirators in any given city; that they will rapidly be used up for the first patients and anyone coming along after that will not have access to one, and that many docs and nurses will realize what's going on and elect to stay home, hoping to not spread the disease to their families. An untold number of medical personnel died in 1918 and that would hold true today, regardless of the antibiotics we now have available. These kind of diseases spread and kill too fast for antibiotics to be all that useful.

In that flu book I noted earlier, there's an odd tale about a town that avoided any deaths whatsoever; the town doctor recommended everyone including children get drunk and stay drunk for the duration of outbreaks; for whatever reason, it worked. Another town completely isolated itself, all roads in and out were blocked and had 24/7 guards with rifles posted. They also avoided any deaths. I often wonder if a blockade will be put on all air travel in the event of an obvious oncoming epidemic or pandemic. Then there's the problem with how people will react to martial law instigation for a possible very good reason.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

How long did they have to stay drunk or isolated?

I don;t know how bad the flu is yet in my state....need to go find a flu map......but it sounds like going for an annual checkup may be a bad idea......for some time.....

CDC map
www.cdc.gov...

google map
www.google.org...
edit on Sun Dec 29 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

These kind of diseases spread and kill too fast for antibiotics to be all that useful.

Excellent post except for one thing - antibiotics can never treat flu. You need anti-virals for virus infections. The antibiotics come into play for the opportunistic bacterial infections that sometimes appear after a viral infection when the immune system is already down.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

paxnatus
reply to post by CINY8

Here they state that this mystery illness is NOT the flu:

So far, half of the people who have come down with it have died. According to the health department, all of the patients have had flu-like and/or pneumonia-like symptoms. However, all of them have tested negative for the flu

Illness has flu like symptoms but deterioration of the organs leading to death is extremely rapid! We have not dealt with a "flu" like this as of yet! It does however, sound like the deadly "Bird Flu" that we have been warned about for years.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Pax

Later quote:

Four of the patients treated for the mystery illness in Conroe have died.
The illnesses started with flu-like symptoms, then progressed to pneumonia and, in some cases, organ failure. They all initially tested negative for the flu.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
With H1N7 an update was posted on the 27th. Culling animals together or destroying those with this isn't enough anymore. It's spreading from human to human contact.

TextThe third case is a 53 year-old male from Ryadh with underlying chronic diseases. He was hospitalized on November 26 and is currently receiving treatment in an intensive care unit. He had no exposure to animals and no travel history outside Riyadh region. He had contact with a confirmed case.

www.who.int...

It goes onto say, "WHO does not advise special screening at points of entry with regard to this event nor does it currently recommend the application of any travel or trade restrictions."

Globally, from September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a total of 170 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 72 deaths.

The chances of this spreading are pretty good IMO. Even if they tried to contain it how many get it and don't get checked? I agree with those herein that dying overnight isn't consistent with the regular flu. Something to keep an eye on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join