It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Self-Imposed Post Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Dear ATSers,

This post can be seen as a response to the thread created by SkepticOverlord.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It is however, entirely coincidental in its timing.

One of the most striking features of SkepticOverlord's post was the humanity and sadness he displayed. It was as if his child had begun using crack and had several recent face tattoos. I had not seen that side of his personality before and was touched by it.

I believe I can understand, in a small way, SkepticOverlord's feelings. I have come to regard ATS as a haven for rational discussion and new ideas. But, whether I have changed, or the site has changed, things are certainly different. As SkepticOverlord noted, consider the religious threads, the threads concerning Israel, Iran, or those referring to the United States.

There seems to be a level of hatred, anger, close-mindedness, stupidity, and a disregard for others that needs to be corrected; or, that I just have to learn to live with.

But now to the topic of this post. I spoke with a few people recently who feel a certain responsibility for me. After describing what was going on in my life, they suggested very strongly that I should leave ATS for a period of two weeks. Cut off all contact with it and do other specific things which I need not mention here.

So, while it is not a big deal for anyone in this forum, I'm simply letting you know that I'm taking a two week forced vacation from all contact with this site. I will follow this thread for while, but other than that I will have to disappear for a brief period.

I am not so vain as to expect that this will have any impact on anyone, however in case someone is curious, they now have an explanation for my absence. See you again, soon.

I wish Peace and Love to you all.
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Best wishes and my utmost respect Charles. I hope you refuel and enjoy your time of sabbatical. For one I'll miss your level headed and compassionate threads and responses. Hope to see you in the new year.

Be well friend and tend to what needs tending.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

For once, somebody realizes on their own when it's time to take a break. All of us need a break occasionally, whether we realize it or not. Good call Charles. We'll leave a light on for ya. But remember...

ATS is a bit like Hotel California. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good for you, sir. I had to take a 7 year hiatus, but that's because things just got too weird. When G-men call you on the phone and politely ask you to cease and desist (thanks, Simon), it's time to lay low.

It was then that I realized I had a problem. I had to let go.

But seriously, as far as the apparent upsurge in anger and ignorance, or as I call it, sleepiness, I've seen it as well. I had thought that as the gravity of situations became more apparent, that people would tend more toward critical thought and constructive action. It appears more like the worse things appear, the more most people are shutting down.

That being said, take your time, gather your thoughts, your convictions, and decide in which way you can use the most of your intrinsic human value for the good of other humans. If part of that is trying to help others understand better here, so be it. And if not.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Thank you all for your understanding.

I realize that my signature "Love. Even from an empty heart. Love," is a goal I haven't reached yet. There are really good people here who are "tougher" than I am, and I really look forward to seeing you again.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

If there are other things you need to do, we understand that.
But ATS still needs positive Christian responses, so don't stay away too long.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I would suggest you kindly cease and desist your current train of thought...

Unlike many on our forum, you have always given replies with rational thought and a kind and caring demeanour...

You stand as a model citizen in this crazy forum world... the voice of reason and respect.

Your posts usually slow the tide of anger in one's thread, just as a break wall slows the tides of the sea...

We all need a break from ATS now and again, but don't let others anger and hatred drag you into the depths...

Members like you are the glue that holds this community together...

SO if you must go... please return as soon as humanly possible

Ready to take up the proverbial sword of kindness and destroy our enemies with love and respect

Fight the good fight brother

And remember IF you don't return soon... You'll see a madcat in the tree outside your house

My grin will haunt your dreams...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hope your time away is helpful. See you when you return. Hugs!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I take two hiatus from ATS a year. My last just occurring around Thanksgiving.

I just need a few weeks every couple a times a year to rebury my head in the sand and make believe everything is sunshine and roses. After about a week or so, my bubble world becomes tenuous though, and my own self-imposed ignorance restrictive. So it doesn't last for long. But it does help me recharge my hope and optimism.

I hope your break from ATS is calming and recharging.

CdT

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I have taken a few breaks myself and understand when others need to as well. You always put a lot of thought and care into your responses regardless of who they are to or what they are about. I envy that in you as I like to play a bit more than I probably should.

Your real life, real feelings, and real self come before ATS for sure. Take care of yourself well and I look forward to your return. You will be missed while you are gone.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Many of us understand completely.
You'll be missed and we hope to be here when you return.
You've been a Good and Caring Friend to both of us and it'll be a Long Two Weeks.
Be Safe, Be Sane and Keep Questioning!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Your real life, real feelings, and real self come before ATS for sure. Take care of yourself well and I look forward to your return. You will be missed while you are gone.

Well said as usual marsupial.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but ATS should be fun. If it's not take a break. I think anyone who has been fairly active has needed a break from time to time (I asked the mods to ban me once). I wish you the best, and for what it's worth have always considered you a great contribution even if we've butted heads in the past.

If you need a buddy to vent about life or ATS shoot me a U2U. Sounds like you've got some great support here though. Through all the disagreements I do think almost anyone on this site would be more than glad to help out a fellow member. Dysfunctional family.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
regardless if we agree or disagree, you have always been polite. and i appreciate that!

sure we shall be discussing again soon, take care and may the fierce be with you!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Your intelligence, civility and level headed discourse will be missed, so don't stay away too long.

But, why is your heart empty? When you come back perhaps we can work on it - no good reason for that exists - "said the insane optimist".

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Dear Charles,

Sometimes a break is nice... I am refusing to argue in religion threads also because of what SkepticOverlord said... argue being the key word because I just posted in one, although I was not arguing religion.

You and I hold to two different religions, but in threads we get along fine... This is what it SHOULD be about. There is a difference between discussing and having hate.

That is what we need to learn most my friend. How to simply have a discussion without letting anger and hate in.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The more observant of us have been saying it for years that this site is going downhill because of its association with the mainstream in the form of social media.

When you open the flood gates you get the volume and the dirt.

I am not one of this people that hate saying I told you so....

From 2010

ATS on facebook??? Hell has officially frozen over

In a nutshell it has been apparent to me at least the direction this site is heading in. Mass marketed video news. Gratuitous self promotion and a steady decline in morale here. Shows me that more and more this site has been infiltrated. Ahh well it was great while it lasted. But the cancer that is greed has infested and the cure for this cancer has no current cure. Good luck truth seekers. Were all going to need it.

thats from 2010

Meh! reap what you sow I say.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

I totally get it. I hear you.

Just so you know ... I consider you to be a 'good poster' .... always adult and always polite, even
when those who aren't polite try throwing mud in your direction. I can't say the same about me.
You are a better person than I am. Enjoy your time off ....
Have a great Christmas and a fantastic New Year!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Bon Voyage, dear Charles!

We will miss you, make no mistake. SO's thread got attention from a large bulk of the 'daily members', and I applaud his efforts.

I find it ironic how those of us who try to engage in actual scholarly and intelligent discussions around the ever-contentious "Religious" forums have acknowledged his request. And in the ensuing few days, a slough of TRULY unpleasant threads have popped up on the very forum related to R/F/T.

I'm staying off of most of them, and only keeping up with my own and a couple of older ones that are still moving (including yours, my friend); but it seems that in a way, SO's kind and heartfelt request has backfired!

I, too, am keeping a lower profile, as I've noticed the most intriguing and rational 'regulars' have done. I worry that the forum will be trashed entirely, yet it is the one most compelling to me (for some reason, I seem to be quite immersed in topics of religious sentiment - to a staggering degree), and I, too, feel exhausted, beat up, and drained as often as not anymore.

PLEASE, dear Charles, keep us in your heart; we need you more than you know. It'll be like having a "substitute teacher in middle school study hall" until you return - and we all know how that can turn out. (And you in self-imposed ISS! OH NOEZ!)

I'm proud to call you "friend," and value you immensely.
Brightest and best of the winter's now lengthening days to you - spring will be here before we know it! Let's all work to come up with some well-developed thread ideas, and when the "week" is up in 3 more days, we can make that forum SHINE again!

hug

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Oh you will be missed, for sure. Please take some time but come back because the light shall not be overcome by the darkness. You are a light my friend and I always enjoy the fresh air you bring to a thread.

There seems to be a level of hatred, anger, close-mindedness, stupidity, and a disregard for others that needs to be corrected; or, that I just have to learn to live with.

You do NOT have to "live with" any of the negativity whether it be here or anywhere else.

Also, know that you can TRY to "correct it" while staying on topic, I have seen you do it. I know it is draining having to constantly "raise" some on here. lol

Again, know you will be missed, but we understand taking breaks from ATS. xoxox

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Dearest Charles,
While I certainly would miss you greatly it probably wouldn't hurt for you to take a short break from the site and come back with a fresh perspective. Holiday time brings out the best in people but unfortunately it also brings out the worst as well. For you to have made this thread at all tells me that the break will do you good.

Your friends will understand and be waiting for you when you return. But if you wouldn't mind could you bring me back a souvenir can of deer repellant? It would be most appreciated!

Take a break my dear friend- and come back swinging!
Much love and respect, D

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join