It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time of the Doctor – 2013 Christmas Special(Spoilers!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but i was super excited about Christmas for one reason more than anything else. The Doctor Who Christmas Special!

I know I'm a huge nerd for being this excited (or so my friends tell me), but i needed my Doctor fix. I am sad to see Matt Smith go, but i am excited to meet the new doctor in the upcoming season even though i will admit i was a bit tentative when i first heard he was going to be the replacement. The worry i had was that he was older than most of the Doctors so far and seemed a bit dry, but the tiny bit he got to play in the Christmas special put my worries at ease. He really seems to be a natural Doctor.

Part of the reason i love the show is because all though new Doctors come and go, they always have that common eccentric thread, and they are always entertaining. David Tennant is my favorite Doctor so far, but i do carry a soft spot for Christopher Eccleston. I have always like him as an actor in just about everything he has done.

It is said that a person will always like the first Doctor they experience the best and for me that is Christopher Eccleston. He only lasted one season, but between him and Rose (swoon), they got the restart of the series off to an amazing start with a ton of momentum that is still going strong today. Yes, i came in to the world of Doctor Who very late by not giving them the attention they deserve before the series restart in 2005, but i have been getting caught up on the originals as much as i can.

As far as companions go, my heart belongs to Rose. Amy was great, dont get me wrong, but more like a little sister great... if you know what i mean. Now Clara... WOWZA! I am a big fan of Clara so far and i cant wait to see what the future holds for her. Shes no Rose, but i really enjoy her as a companion.

This Christmas special was the most epic so far imo. It was more like a Doctor Who movie than an episode. There are still some unanswered questions dealing with the graves on Trenzalore that didnt really get resolved, but i am sure they will work that out some how.

I grabbed the quote from Matt Smith as he was on his way out and put it as my sig, just because i think its an amazing quote that applies to anyone, Whovian or otherwise.

To anyone who is still tentative about the new Doctor, ill include the following image as a reminder of the roller coaster that i think every Doctor Who fan goes through after any regeneration.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I am watching it now, but I already like the actor slated to be the next doctor so maybe I can skip a few steps...

I really enjoyed seeing Tom Baker at the end of the last one...

edit on 26-12-2013 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

Nice avatar Elton! I remember that episode, the entire time i was watching it all i could think of is how cool it would be it be a group like that and how i would totally join if i ever caught wind of it.

The Tom Baker Cameo was definitely cool and i really hope to see more stuff like that in the future. Paying homage to the Doctor's past selves just seems like the right thing to do. You cant really go wrong.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Love the info graphic...it is so true, although I have to agree, I never hated the new doctor when he was announced, I have seen him in other stuff, but there is still that moment...the one when you think the world is gonna implode!

Need to re-watch last nights episode, in a way it tied up the loose ends, yet I still need to string them together in my my head, because, I thought clara's dad was dead...or is this a different Clara, I don't know.

Still confused!

Plus side, it was the portion od the day, where both my kids where quiet and transfixed into something mentally productive.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
My daughter cried like a baby to see Matt Smith go. He was her first Doctor. She had to watch reruns to see the old ones.

I have a feeling that the new Doctor is going to be the most dangerous one to date. His eyes mean business when he looks serious. lol

And the image about the regeneration cycle?... So true! lol

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just watched the regeneration .....
Glad to see Amy show up. Wish Clara would get lost in time and space elsewhere ....

When the 11th doctor (Matt Smith) was running around with his family - his wife River and his in-laws Amy and Rory .. that was the best. The show felt solid. But now, I'm not feeling it. Clara annoys me and I miss the Doctors family.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Doctor Who is so very well written, Steven Moffat does a ridiculously good job. He writes Sherlock too, which is back on Jan 1st.

Seems like Capaldi gets to keep the accent too..nice.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Haven't seen the episode yet...had to record it ...but, I heard the show was originally toying with a female doctor....

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Matt Smith's Doctor is the 12th. The order of the Doctors as we knew it changed with the 50th anniversary special. Even Smith, as the Doctor, told Clara he was the 12th, during the Christmas Special.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Matt Smith's Doctor is the 12th. The order of the Doctors as we knew it changed with the 50th anniversary special. Even Smith, as the Doctor, told Clara he was the 12th, during the Christmas Special.

EDIT: Sorry, a Tardis effect on this thread it seems... lol Double Post.
edit on 26-12-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

So the question is, how many regenerations did the time lords give him?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

I thought he was given a lot by River Song... I'm totally in the dark for that one... lol

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

NowanKenubi
Matt Smith's Doctor is the 12th.

I know. But he is '11' on all our Dr. Who gear here ... our sonic screwdrivers and episode CDs and everything. So he'll always be 11 to me. The new doctor that they added ... the one who had to decide to push the button and destroy Galifrey ... I call him 8 1/2.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Can you spell marketing? You'll have to change ALL your gears now... lol

John Hurt as 8 and a half? He must be Hurt now...

I told my daughter that the Doctor's fans would have to adjust to the new reality.

And since he changed his past to save Gallifrey instead of destroying it, we will probably see a Doctor that has a different attitude on certain topics. That is why I think the new Doctor will be the most dangerous one to date.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

See how your reality changed? Gallifrey is now written with 2 "L"s...
lol

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

NowanKenubi
Gallifrey is now written with 2 "L"s...
lol

Typo. I"m not awake yet. I was up late watching the show.

NowanKenubi
That is why I think the new Doctor will be the most dangerous one to date.

I agree. He doesn't have the weight of the destruction on his soul.
Nothing will keep him down ....

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I an aware that The US has come into Dr Who rather late compared to most countries. The oldest Dr Who was in fact the great William Hartnell, but only by 3 months.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I've just watched it on i-player...I had to wait until my boy came back from visiting his Dad so we could watch it together, it's our tradition...and I unsurprisingly, cried like a baby at losing Matt Smith as the Doctor, he reignited my interest after years and years of pining for Tom Baker (heavy *Sigh*) but I have high hopes for Capaldi...I had a girl-hood crush on him after watching 'Local Hero'

It was a great Christmas special...thoroughly entertaining!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i watched the remake of the time machine not long ago that name kaled sure does get about
mutants got to love them

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

alldaylong

I an aware that The US has come into Dr Who rather late compared to most countries. The oldest Dr Who was in fact the great William Hartnell, but only by 3 months.

In case anyone missed it, search for "An Adventure in Space and Time" and " The Five Doctors(ish)."

I was initially sceptical about Matt Smit but was pleasantly surprised. I managed tell him and Karen Gillan as much when I bumped into them in TESCO. (Geek overload so no autographs.)
Armed with my 20 cigarettes and daily paper I popped into the Pub across the road and sat at the Bar next to John Hurt. Looking back, he must have been in Cardiff filming. Gutted I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time as I congratulated him on his performance in Alien.

Still, I did get to see Karen in the flesh.

I reckon Capaldi waill take the series in a darker direction (no bad thing.)

The only travesty thus far is that Sylvester McCoy was robbed of the opportunity to take his character further. His last few stories were some of the best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join