It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Cat Keeps Knocking Down the Christmas Tree

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Yay! Fingers crossed for you! It usually works for me with my cats. The only casualties I've had have been a couple of low hanging ornaments. I've switched them out for plastic balls, no more glass ones, lol. The tinsel is a great diversion for them.

edit on 12/17/2013 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Thanks, let's hope so.

I only use plastic ornaments too, because of having a pet.
I grew up with dogs, and they liked knocking the tree down too. I'm starting to think it's a curse. lol

None of my animals appreciate true art!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Ask your husband to drill the tree to the floor. And watch his expression!!!!....Nice cat and tree btw

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Rainbowresidue

Thanks, let's hope so.

I only use plastic ornaments too, because of having a pet.
I grew up with dogs, and they liked knocking the tree down too. I'm starting to think it's a curse. lol

None of my animals appreciate true art!

Oh my one dog is an art conneseiur.
He is an English Staffy. My kids constructed a gingerbread house on Friday.. he sampled it early Saturday.. and shared the art with the other dogs so they could appreciate it too.
They all really appreciated it being left in the middle of the dining room table. Now.. its a formal 8 seater table and large and Im still not sure how he got the house since it was in the middle of the table on a lazy susan. He even shared it with the elderly Lab and the Hairless crested. ALL of the m&ms are missing ( licked off looks like) off the roof piece I found on the couch... THAT was the hairless. The vet says theyll be okay and to put any more gingerbread houses on top of the fridge overnight. LOL!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Thanks

Oh, my husband already knows how, and I'm quoting "Sometimes you think of really weird stuff."
No need to add more wood to that fire.

Drill a hole.... Who do you think he is? Tim the Tool Man Taylor?

Izzy is sleeping with garland and doing fine btw.

edit on 17/12/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Wow, how charming and caring-sharing your dog is !!!

I'm glad he is okay though.

Gingerbread? At least your dog knows what's good.
My cat has a weakness for mashed potatoes.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hey Rainbow, Alert, alert, alert! Please take the garland away from Izzy pronto! According to the net the consensus is that some cats eat the garland and end up at the vets needing surgery to remove the tangled mess

I've allowed my cats to play with them for years and this has never happened to any of them, but……. Izzy might be one of the few that would eat it, so, probably disregard my suggestion. In replacement maybe a shiny safe cat toy? Or a feathered rope cat toy?
edit on 12/17/2013 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Oh boy, thank you so much for caring and doing research.
I had no idea!

Okay, the garland is gone, and I gave her a couple of Christmas balls instead.

Tragedy averted.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
That's great! Keep us posted with photos, she's a great christmas mascot

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

try using two eye screws to to a rope to the tree so he won't knock it down.

and some more tipes.

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Thanks, lol. Here's a last one for tonight. She is looking kind of smug , but at least hasn't gone near the tree since.

reply to post by grey580

Thank you very much for the tip.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Here's Simon's "Santa Claws"…enjoy!

edit on 17-12-2013 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
With 6 cats in the house, one of them was constantly climbing it and knocking it over every few hours. I think they took turns trying to drive me insane. After playing this game every year for years, I tried a small table top tree thinking they'd leave that alone. Wrong. I gave up on the idea of having a tree in the house. No kiddies in the house anymore, so it's ok with me.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
You can always do what we do with our cat:

First line of defense: Her own tree. Yep, we decorate a tiny tree in one corner, filled with bright, shiny bells, ornaments, and tinsel. All of this combined usually keeps her in line.

Second line: The nutmeg & orange peel bomb. My cat hates the smell of nutmeg, and refuses to go near orange peels. So, I came up with a nifty kind of tea, made from both of those things. After the tea cools, I make a "bomb" of sorts, which consists of a small paper towel sphere dipped in the tea, and a larger one to contain the moisture - As soon as she tries to get in the tree, the bomb is launched.

This cat was born to be evil, so we take every precaution whenever putting up the real tree - She has shocked herself by chewing on the wires (probably lost about 10 lives in the process), eaten the lower parts of the tree (I guess pine leaves are healthy...right?), and made it her personal goal to wipe out all the ornaments, purposely doing it in front of us to see how we react.

Side note: My daemon is a calico, and the lady we got it from pronounced it Kali (as in, the evil entity mentioned in Indiana Jones: The Temple of Doom, I tried to change the name to Kaylee, but it was too late - that year, we opened the door, only to find the eyes of Sauron peering out from the tree...7 feet off the ground.

-fossilera

PS: Cats love garland, tinsel, and all that glitters. However, be careful about how much they have, because without being too gross - the last thing you want to wake up to is your cat running around with a bit of poop hanging by a string.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I would not give her any ornaments off the tree. She will be confused then because you don't want her playing with them while they are on the tree.

Get her some other new shiny toy so that you can keep it firm that those ornaments are off limits!

Cats are like children. Keep that in mind!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I think cats just like being at high points for a good view, a Christmas tree is a good location to scout out the living room! My housemates cat currently resides in our tree, a high point with loads of shiny and sparkly things on string??? Every house cat's dream.

I think your cat is probably doing the same, not knocking it over, but sitting in it and causing it to be off-balance. Find a way to balance the tree better or block the cat from going near it! Although the latter will be harder than you think, I would just do the former and let the Cat have it's Utopia.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Jasmine, our cat.

She killed our tree. (she's so proud!)

We feel your pain.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
A picture of Baby walking through the wreckage.

edit on 19-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join