It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Cat Keeps Knocking Down the Christmas Tree

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Meet our cat Izzy:

She's a 2 year old Turkish cat. Don't let the angel eyes fool you, she can be quite the devil sometimes, especially when she wakes me up at 4:30 a.m. for food....She usually slaps me in the face. She wouldn't dare treat my husband this way, she did it once, and found herself "gently removed from the bed".

Anyways December 1 came and we put up the tree, and decorated it, etc. I was really taking my time decorating the tree, enjoying every minute of it, thinking well I only do this once a year anyway.

How wrong was I !!!

I came home from work to find the tree knocked off the stand last week, and about 40% of the decorations on the floor. So I had to decorate the tree again.
Sunday-The second time happened again while we were both at work, and the third time happened while my husband was taking a shower and I was cooking in the kitchen. (yesterday)

I do love Christmas and all, but if I have to redecorate that darn tree one more time I will decorate it with the cat!!!

I don't know why she does it. Is it the ornaments? The smell of the fake tree? Is she openly criticizing my decorating skills?
Now we have put cushions around the tree, so she can't get to it. I really hope she will leave it alone now.

Phew!!!! It's off the chest. I feel better now.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I've heard that if you spray apple cider vinegar on the lower branches that could be a deterrent.
That and keeping the really sparkly ornaments up higher.

but hey cats are cats.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

I had the same problem Rainbow...

Then we realised that we had lost the fairy to stick on the top of the tree...

Guess where the cat is now?... *grins evily*

This is humour by the way... as some people already know about our evil smelly cat.

On a more serious note.

I am a vet RL... The tree is new to your cat... lots of trimmings and sparkly things that catch the cats eye... Felines love to play with this type of object... so just be patient until you take the tree down (unless your cat does so beforehand!)... Maybe a new sparkly moving toy is what your cat might get for christmas?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. ok ok... maybe another warning but what the heck... it's nearly Christmas and if we can't have a little yuletide humour?

edit on 17-12-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
hang the tree from the ceiling

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Rename your cat "Dropkick"
Pretty cat though. And oh yes, innocent eyes.

edit on 17-12-2013 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
AWWWW kitty kitty kitty!

A healthy playful cat having fun at Christmas!
I love cats. I'm a cat person (married to a dog person).

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Or the cat?

NO... NOOOOOOOOO!

That was humor yet again!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I grew up in a household with 2 dogs. In a molding where the wall met the ceiling, at a spot in the living room where our Christmas tree always stood, was a small, inconspicuous tack that my dad put there. When setting up the tree, he would take a length of thin, hard-to-see wire, wrap one end around the tree near its top, & the other around the tack below the head.

This served to hold up the tree against all the inquisitive explorations of our dogs. Given the fact that your "tree tipper" is a cat, you may find that you occasionally have an additional ornament on the tree; only you can decide how safe your cat would be if able to climb around in the tree without it falling over, but maybe this will help.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Thank you. That's a good idea. I don't know if I should do it tonight,or just wait to put the shinier ones on top the next time she knocks the tree down.
*sigh*
Yes, cats will be cats,you are right.

I will give the cider vinegar a try too.

reply to post by Rodinus

Oh, I know you are joking, but I did enjoy it.

*Evil smile back* Izzy would make for a great garland....

Nah, I love that spoiled brat way too much.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Biigs
hang the tree from the ceiling

Just when I think I have the funniest most clever, witty and original response, someone beats me to it!

Thanks for nuthin' Biigs!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

Wow, why haven't I thought of that?
The tree is already in the corner of the room. And the curtain knob is there too, I could just tie those together, so she can't tip it over anymore.
Thank you so much for the idea!

reply to post by FlyersFan

With us it's the other way around. I was the dog person, and my husband was the cat person. I've gotten so used to having Izzy around, I don't know why I ever didn't like cats before, but now I sure do.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You must be silly, you put up the worlds largest cat toy and cat stand all in one, then you put shinys (sp) on it as well and expect said cat you simply stay away???
This is why I have dogs, they do not climb the gate to access the big shiny toy!
Maybe get one of those industrial strength xmas tree stands like my buddy has, it is about a hundred pounds and holds a tree with a death grip, no really, it is impressive.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I like your outside of the box thinking!!

Very original , where is that fishing wire....

reply to post by g146541

Not silly, just naive.

I think I'm going to move most of the ornaments higher up the tree where she can't reach them, tie the tree to the curtain knob which is fixated into the wall,and a friend of mine just suggested I give her a couple of ornaments (plastic ones) from the tree to play with, so she won't feel the need to get them off the tree.

I'm not buying another tree, but thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

edit on 17/12/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

You are right Rodinus.
My friend, who's mother is a vet too just suggested the same thing. I will give her some new sparkly toys to play with and hopefully that will help resolve the problem.

Many thanks.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Simple solution. Get rid of the cat or get rid of the tree.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
One more suggestion, diversion! Buy a gold or silver tinsel garland from the dollar store, throw it on Izzy and watch the fun! It will become her favorite toy and if you keep it close to the tree or under it she will head for the garland 99 out of 100 attacks.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

I gave her the garland. Now she is running around with it like crazy!!!!

Thanks

Ps: I don't mind as long as it keeps her off the tree.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
My dad and I are dog people. My mom? A cat person. I was pretty small and we had a bulldog and a cat. Mom specifically chose the most cantankerous mean cats she could possibly find.. Im convinced. This one was named Tom. Like ALL of her cats.. she named every one of them Tom.. I swear. ANyway, we had a real xmas tree and I had to have those bubbling lights. Now back then.. in the dark ages.. we didnt have safetly warnings.. you just took your chances in everyday life. These were bulbs filled with I think oil and a super HOT light that made them bubble. Very Very pretty.. and a genius design. If you were a pyromaniac.

Anyway, my bulldog drank all the water out of the tree stand and moms cat attacked the tree one night. See, Mom HAD to have the tree it up all damned night so the neighbors could see it out the front window when they drove/walked by. My dad told her he didnt think drunks would notice the lights or the tree as they walked by. We lived in New Orleans at this time.. in the French Quarter.. not far from Bourbon. If anyone was walking at night in December, they were coming from Bourbon St.

So we have a dry tree and super duper hot bulbs... swoosh! We woke up to a downed tree smoldering in the livingroom ready to burn us all to death in our sleep. The stink was HORRIBLE. My mom cried.. my dad cursed the G.D. cat. Me and the bulldog.. Merl.. snickered.

Who got the entire blame?

THE CAT!
(of course)
edit on 17-12-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Rodinus

I had the same problem Rainbow...

Then we realised that we had lost the fairy to stick on the top of the tree...

Guess where the cat is now?... *grins evily*

This is humour by the way... as some people already know about our evil smelly cat.

On a more serious note.

I am a vet RL... The tree is new to your cat... lots of trimmings and sparkly things that catch the cats eye... Felines love to play with this type of object... so just be patient until you take the tree down (unless your cat does so beforehand!)... Maybe a new sparkly moving toy is what your cat might get for christmas?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. ok ok... maybe another warning but what the heck... it's nearly Christmas and if we can't have a little yuletide humour?

edit on 17-12-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

I'm sorry but I really enjoy reading about your cat. It's so entertaining, but I'm glad you didn't give up!
My cat is too fat and lazy to care about the tree. He just lays underneath it like the king he thinks he is.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This explains it all, lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join