It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google buys major military robotics maker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Google is on a robot shopping spree, and its recent purchase of a military robot maker has some wondering what exactly the company intends to do with its own zoo of electronic creatures that creep, crawl, and climb.

It may seem odd for the Internet search giant to purchase a Boston Dynamics, a company that makes rugged machines that can run up to 29 mph, traverse rocky terrain and hurl cinder blocks up to 17 feet. The company is the eighth robot maker Google has snatched up. But the deals also indicate that the Internet giant and pioneer of self-driving cars is serious about a robot-filled future.

Google buys major military robotics maker

If we combine Googles surveillance cooperation with the NSA, their Webcam and Streetview omnipresence, Google Glass, recent revelations about camera equipped mini-drones, their knowledge of all of your thoughts via their Search Engine and now this, one can't help but think that Google qualifies as a potential candidate for the Big Brother in a total-surveillance-and-control nation called Dystopia.

Of course maybe I`m only paranoid and all is well while Google tries to help build a better future where robots help grannies up the stairs and go grocery shopping for me.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The article goes on to mention Amazons plan to fly around mini-drones and Googles policy to keep their reason for buying military robots secret:

Other Internet-based companies are tapping into the consumer trend as well. Last year, Amazon bought Kiva Systems, to move packages in their warehouses. Earlier this month, in an announcement that raised eyebrows, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos announced that flying delivery drones would deliver packages within five years. Meanwhile, experts and researchers anticipate that with our booming population, people may come to increasingly rely on assistive robots for elderly care.

Google's master plan remains a secret
So far, Google isn't sharing much about the purchases augmenting it's newly-launched robotics division. "It is still very early days for this, but I can't wait to see the progress," Larry Page wrote in a Google+ post, when the New York Times revealed news of the robotics operation.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You beat me on time on this news.

When Google moves on a particular "way", then there must be an Huge Interest Behind, and Cryptic Horizons Beyond...
S&F.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Google has long been in the robotics market. I believe they are attempting to use their vast stores of information and technology know-how to build working artificial intelligence. To me, it is the only logical step on the road they are travelling.

It will be interesting to see what Google produces in the AI arena over the next decade.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Skyfloating
The article goes on to mention Amazons plan to fly around mini-drones and Googles policy to keep their reason for buying military robots secret:

Other Internet-based companies are tapping into the consumer trend as well. Last year, Amazon bought Kiva Systems, to move packages in their warehouses. Earlier this month, in an announcement that raised eyebrows, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos announced that flying delivery drones would deliver packages within five years. Meanwhile, experts and researchers anticipate that with our booming population, people may come to increasingly rely on assistive robots for elderly care.

Google's master plan remains a secret
So far, Google isn't sharing much about the purchases augmenting it's newly-launched robotics division. "It is still very early days for this, but I can't wait to see the progress," Larry Page wrote in a Google+ post, when the New York Times revealed news of the robotics operation.

Well Google already has an operating system named Android, so the next logical step, of course, is to create real Android's running Android.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
In the future: Google presents Home Earth where robots sneak in houses and film Street View-like images of their interiors.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Yarp.. this one gives me the willies.

They bought boston dynamics.

that company gave me goose bumps and an erection, all at once.

Now I'm scared. Ads that can beat you up and break your legs if you don't listen to them sell you a flat tummy.

I actually feel that google is the modern frankenstien. what the hell is going on in that castle..

edit on 17-12-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
So Sic! Creeeeepy

Like two guys with a blanket over their heads.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

winofiend
Yarp.. this one gives me the willies.

They bought boston dynamics.

that company gave me goose bumps and an erection, all at once.

Now I'm scared. Ads that can beat you up and break your legs if you don't listen to them sell you a flat tummy.

I actually feel that google is the modern frankenstien. what the hell is going on in that castle..

edit on 17-12-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Wow, toomuch info, but I get where you're coming from. Yet, some people will embrace it, like always.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

projectvxn
Google has long been in the robotics market. I believe they are attempting to use their vast stores of information and technology know-how to build working artificial intelligence. To me, it is the only logical step on the road they are travelling.

It will be interesting to see what Google produces in the AI arena over the next decade.

That's an optimistic view of their ongoings. If they were a "do no evil" outfit, I`d go along with this view.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This was posted yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
If we look at the 100+ companies Google has bought in the last years I think we are looking at the most powerful company-to-be that the world has ever seen. I can see why China and Iran are paranoid about Google, to the point of banning many of their services.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Agreed. Google is a very powerful company. But, in reality, these acquisitions scream AI research. While I share the concerns about google as all other Americans(and people of the world in general) should, I am still vehemently curious to see where they are going with their forays into robotics.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

projectvxn

Considering that Google's semi-new creative director is Ray Kurzweil, I totally agree with you on this. With Ray onboard, Google's going to be playing a very long game when it comes to technology. That man's vision is clear, accurate and goes into the next 40 years. His books are very informative.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Evil_Santa

Considering that Google's semi-new creative director is Ray Kurzweil, .

Didnt know that. Makes me a little more optimistic.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

I've been watching google a very long time.

This company has their eye on intuitive technologies, AI, tactile interfaces for information technology and on and on and on.

They've managed to actually put out good products that people want to buy and while they do have to answer some questions on the stewardship of our information, they are on the leading edge of technological development.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

projectvxn
they are on the leading edge of technological development.

Thats true and also great. But they also know more about you and your thoughts than your own spouse...if they wanted to retrieve that information, they could.

Theoretically they also OWN every powerful Person, Politician, Entrepreneur, CEO, Banker, who has ever typed things into Google they wouldnt want the public to know about.

Somewhere down the road...say a 100 years from now...having all this knowledge could prove dangerous.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I beat him.... I just did not know still don't know how to post anything as "news" or the right icon this site confuses the shiza out of me.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

If we combine Googles surveillance cooperation with the NSA, their Webcam and Streetview omnipresence, Google Glass, recent revelations about camera equipped mini-drones, their knowledge of all of your thoughts via their Search Engine and now this, one can't help but think that Google qualifies as a potential candidate for the Big Brother in a total-surveillance-and-control nation called Dystopia.

I've always said the real Big Brother is corporate. And I'm not paranoid.

F&S

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

anyone else feel bad when the guy kicked it? hahah man i already have a softspot for robots.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join