It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissension in the UK army?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
BBC News

16 soldiers have been jailed for mutiny for protesting on the parade ground by refusing to stand, claiming they were "led by Muppets".

Could this be a glimpse at a greater problem brewing?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Perhaps this is akin to what they are referring (but wearing a Union Jack shirt)?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Interesting from the link from yahoo

A group of soldiers are facing jail, fines or a reduction in rank for a sitdown protest after their commanding officers allegedly turned up to a march suffering from hangovers.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yeah I read that. Bad pratice for sure and the officers should have been dealt with. But the unit must have had pretty low morale before hand to go the route of mutany.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Discipline and obedience to command are the bedrock of a good army. The fact that the commanding officers had not been performing well does not excuse this behavior. Soldiers have other means, within the rules, to advance their grievances.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

donyeyo
The fact that the commanding officers had not been performing well does not excuse this behavior. Soldiers have other means, within the rules, to advance their grievances.

Exactly hence why I think its odd not just one or two but 16 mutinied, there is obviously more to this.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
they deserve all they get. i was in the army and there is a procedure to follow if you have a dispute about someone regardless of what rank they are. they refused a direct order so deserve to be punished. what if they did this on the battle field? they should all be thrown out after serving time.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Well, at least 16 of you guys are seeing clearly. Muppet's!

reply to post by scotsdavy1

There may come a time when any soldier is given an unlawful command. How they deal with that is a measure of their character and humanity. That said, refusing orders because of command level hangovers is not going to meet the mark of unlawful.
edit on 898pm2020pm22013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I agree they picked there battle unwisely.

A hung over officer and sergent just isnt a excuse for refuseing orders. Which makes me wonder if there something more the MSM isnt letting on. I just cant see 16 men throwing there careers and freedom away over a hangover. 1 trouble maker maybe but not a platoon.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I guess they could have WAITED FOR DEPLOYMENT AND SIMPLY OFFED THE OFFICERS WITH A SHOT TO THE BACK OF THE HEAD AS THEY LED THE CHARGE( a common tactic in all armies these days, and getting far more popular since fragging came into style......)officers generally suck big time......good on them, but totally stupid compared to the above remedy for idiot officers......

top topics

join