It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday study — A nuclear exchange would end civilisation and kill all Chinese

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

A nuclear war between India and Pakistan would set off a global famine that could kill two billion people and effectively end human civilization, a study said Tuesday.

In a second edition, the groups said they widely underestimated the impact in China and calculated that the world's most populous country would face severe food insecurity.
"A billion people dead in the developing world is obviously a catastrophe unparalleled in human history. But then if you add to that the possibility of another 1.3 billion people in China being at risk, we are entering something that is clearly the end of civilization," said Ira Helfand, the report's author.

MSN

Seems like kind of an obvious deduction to make — if we start lobbing nukes at each other, the ensuing nuclear winter will kill crops and the nations most reliant on crop yields would suffer the most.

However, what I found interesting in this particular doomsday prognostication is this updated version makes particular mention of China and how the effects of such a conflict would all but end the nation. My reasoning being, that if this extrapolation is legitimate, who would it benefit to spark of a nuclear war in order to put the kibosh on this fast-rising nation?

When you consider China's economic strength, its growing military might coupled with its jostling for space and resources (in turn causing regional malaise that's dragging the U.S. and co. into otherwise alien geographical and historical disputes) and the myriad other potential points of contention with the nation, it only stands to reason that if this doomsday scenario holds mathematical water, that it may not be beyond the realms of possibility that a "WMD's" -esque false flag could be concocted to ferment a nuclear exchange, resulting in the ultimate demise of China.

/conspiracy

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I don't get the problem?

We don't have to deal with those stupid ad's on TV about sending money to them (why send money when we can send contraception to cease the poverty?), we don't have to deal with them on public transport not wearing deodorant and all in all we get rid of (some) of the third wold inhabitants. Sounds harsh as hell, but why continue to let them breed if they can't even look after themselves and continue to ask for assistance from other countires?

I just don't get it. Stop having sex. Stop making Earth crappy for everyone else.....!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

samuel1990
I don't get the problem?

We don't have to deal with those stupid ad's on TV about sending money to them (why send money when we can send contraception to cease the poverty?), we don't have to deal with them on public transport not wearing deodorant and all in all we get rid of (some) of the third wold inhabitants. Sounds harsh as hell, but why continue to let them breed if they can't even look after themselves and continue to ask for assistance from other countires?

I just don't get it. Stop having sex. Stop making Earth crappy for everyone else.....!

Ive yet to see an ad on TV asking for donations for China. Do you realize how much debt they carry.. of OURS??

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Sorry not true at all why?
How many nuclear tests have happened since they haveinvented the bomb,, 2053..

We are still here.
I used to think this until someone showed me.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

boymonkey74

We are still here.

Well if the figure is that much then maybe that is why everyone seems to be getting cancer at an ever growing pace. Surley that much radiation floating around in the atmos must be doing some harm????

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ha! stop having sex and making the world crappy, thats awesome!

I feel the same way. Look at family sizes around the world, why is it that the worse off the standard of living the MORE children per family? We arnt a damned virus, smarten up planet!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
maybe this is why the super rich and goverments are building seed vaults underground bunkers while at the same time getting all the gold back with crappy adds on tv .

well i am a nutter on a conspiracy site what did you expect

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lompyt

The report in the OP is not new, a thread about it was about a few years back and I said If a nuclear war happened we would all die, I was shown that I was wrong.
The effects are devastating of course but the radiation doesn't last as long as you may think.
Think about Hiroshima..people still live there.
The actual amount of nuclear material in nuclear bombs is small compared to what was released when Chernobyl went boom, 180 tons of nuclear fuel compared to a few hundred pounds in a nuke.

www.todayifoundout.com...

Iam not saying the world would be ok but we would go on.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

boymonkey74

We are still here.

Why do you think 1 in 3 applies to Breast Cancer and Prostate cancer in the US?
Other cancers have skyrocketed in regards to population worldwide. It is the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge.
Wearing pink and growing moustaches won't rid the world of damage done.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

geobro
maybe this is why the super rich and goverments are building seed vaults underground bunkers while at the same time getting all the gold back with crappy adds on tv .

Planned "apocalypse" to rid the world of naive religious people fighting over a scrap of land in the Middle East that sucks...
I've had that theory for years. Anyone who has ever played a game in the "Fallout" series knows what life will be like for those of us without the benefit of living in a Vault. I just hope I go fast being not among the 1%.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

the owlbear

geobro

Planned "apocalypse" to rid the world of naive religious people fighting over a scrap of land in the Middle East that sucks...
I've had that theory for years. Anyone who has ever played a game in the "Fallout" series knows what life will be like for those of us without the benefit of living in a Vault. I just hope I go fast being not among the 1%.

Just think.. you can always eat the politicians who didnt make the cool kid club cut.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
We are hard monkeys to eliminate!

A full out Atomic exchange would only set back mankind for around 100-200 years after that surface areas of our planet would become habitable again and humanity would indeed start over.

One other point, China has some of the largest underground cave systems in the world they have also excavated and built numerous underground facilities throughout their nation so if anything they would fair better than most in the event of a full out nuclear exchange.

This is in no way a promotion of nuclear war just pointing out Humanity will always find a way to survive, its in our nature to do so!
edit on 10-12-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Yeah and if China "disapeared" then no need to repay that debt right?

Anyway i cant see how a pakistan/india nuclear exchange would trigger a nuclear winter? They have what a few hundred nukes? Russia,usa,uk and france tested hundreds of the things in the 50's and 60's some of the with yeilds bigger than 5 or 6 of normal nuked put together! Infact the tsar bomb was likely bigger than half pakistans nuclear arsnal.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

crazyewok

Anyway i cant see how a pakistan/india nuclear exchange would trigger a nuclear winter? They have what a few hundred nukes? Russia,usa,uk and france tested hundreds of the things in the 50's and 60's some of the with yeilds bigger than 5 o
r 6 of normal nuked put together! Infact the tsar bomb was likely bigger than half pakistans nuclear arsnal.

and the tsar bomb was only half the size it was going to be the scientists got cold feet with the yeald

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

crazyewok

Anyway i cant see how a pakistan/india nuclear exchange would trigger a nuclear winter? They have what a few hundred nukes? Russia,usa,uk and france tested hundreds of the things in the 50's and 60's some of the with yeilds bigger than 5 or 6 of normal nuked put together! Infact the tsar bomb was likely bigger than half pakistans nuclear arsnal.

No doubt.
I dont see China disappearing anytime soon though. Looks like we better pay our debts.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by iLemming

Nuclear weapons are bad but my understanding is that nuclear winter has been disproven (that the dust would block the sun for months)...

In any case imagine the impact that of an irradiated Pakistan and Afghanistan the world production of heroin would be almost completely gone...

edit on 10-12-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by iLemming

There is rather a good book that touches on the subject called The Next 10,000 years by Adrian Berry. I read it many moons ago but I recommend anyone that's interested in the subject to give it a read.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I think nuclear winters possible BUT you would need ten of thousands of 500kt + detonations.

Possible back in the cold war but now would be very hard to acheive.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

andy06shake
We are hard monkeys to eliminate!

A full out Atomic exchange would only set back mankind for around 100-200 years after that surface areas of our planet would become habitable again and humanity would indeed start over.

One other point, China has some of the largest underground cave systems in the world they have also excavated and built numerous underground facilities throughout their nation so if anything they would fair better than most in the event of a full out nuclear exchange.

This is in no way a promotion of nuclear war just pointing out Humanity will always find a way to survive, its in our nature to do so!

No...a full out nuclear exchange would decimate the population to a few breeding pairs. Everyone else who wasn't vaporized would be sterilized by the fun. And it wouldn't be a few years...people think in terms of the bombs dropped on Japan almost 70 years ago. Those things were firecrackers compared to just one bomb in a US or Russian submarine. Kilo=thousand...mega=million. We don't measure nukes in kilo since splitting the h-bomb.

Also, don't forget with no one topside, all nuclear power stations would go critical increasing long term radioactivity hostile to organic matter.
"And I think to myself, what a wonderful world..."

edit on 10-12-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

crazyewok
i cant see how a pakistan/india nuclear exchange would trigger a nuclear winter? They have what a few hundred nukes? Russia,usa,uk and france tested

There's a world of difference between controlled, underground / water tests and actual deployment of nuclear weapons with the explicit intention of causing as much destruction as possible.

A nuke sent to go off in the atmosphere (below the ionosphere), alone, has been postulated to cause enough cascading electronics failures to send a nation (the U.S. was used as the example) back to the Stone Age. I can only imagine the destruction nukes making 'landfall' (*they actually go off a few hundred meters above the ground) would cause; and that's to say nothing of the fallout...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join