It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anxiety Disorder.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
So I've been affected by this for most of my life starting pre teen. I never knew exactly what it was, I just thought I was highly depressive.

It affects me in all areas of my life and part of it is that I avoid most if not all confrontation and pretty much avoid getting close to anyone.

I have a select couple of friends that I can't talk to as openly as I want.
I've avoided taking my self to the doctors about it the entire time, 21 years.

So I had a bit of a break, I found myself needing to get this sorted for whatever reasons.
I was really quite irratic in the doctors office, he told me he can't help me but I'd get sent a questionnaire by the people that can.

That was a week ago now and I'm absolutely losing it, how can anyone professional think its acceptable to do this to someone who suffers from anxiety.

I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet as I still don't know exactly what I can tell them (mostly mean my parents here).

I'm going a bit mad and needed to vent.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

If at all possible, maybe you should try to change your environment. If you live in a city, try moving to the country. It’s a bit more relaxed setting there.

But then again, I knew of a friend who suffered from a panic disorder and there was little I could to help him.

In the end, it’ll be up to you to find the calming effect that you seek. I’m sorry…I don’t know what else to say. But I hope that you find the answer.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I used to suffer from anxiety as well. It would get to the point where I'd feel like I was being cornered with no way to escape and eventually I'd claw my way out of the situation with rage. I used to take sedation medicine as a tool with relaxation methods to help learn how to control these situations.

Seclude yourself from EVERYONE. If possible go outside and listen to your breathing -- make sure you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, slowly.

At times, when I'm at home and I'm feeling anxious and or angry I will often start my workout routine and I find it silences my emotions quickly and also feeds me the energy to workout.

I hope you get it under control

~Sovereign

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ok so slow down take a breath and relax. I understand about the anxiety and am medicated for it.

You need to get you to a free mental health clinic and speak to a professional, it's nice to bounce your thoughts out and gives them something to understand.. Most hospitals have free clinics for this.

You can't expect instant help after hiding it trust me I have been there, be open start some counselling and you will get the relief you need you need to trust someone some where at some point.

After receiving help I found out that there are some one quarter of the populations feeling this and you would be surprised at how many medicated for it. It's nothing to be ashamed about just get better.

Wishing you all the best.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SovereignEve

Personally, I think that excluding themselves from everyone only feeds the problem. I am suffering from anxiety/anger attacks daily and I find that by going out and interacting with others, it has a calming effect.

There is a article that we have discussed plenty of times on ATS.

www.myfoxny.com...

I am realizing that my anxiety is actually anger. But I must force myself out into the world and confront it. Thankfully I do have a sense of humor as well.

link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

That's the thing, I have been open and I've been left feeling wrecked for a week.

I know how to control myself usually and I can be around people even if I'm not saying a word.

I've been dealing with it without knowing what I'm dealing with. I know when I should stay in and I know when I can see my friends. I don't need to move.

I've just found myself wanting to actually move forward in my life for the first time ever, my doctor literally said, I can't help you, someone else will be in touch.

link   

I know what you are going through because my sister had this same problem since her teenage years. It can be completely debilitating and it is so hard to get anyone around you to understand the problem you have so you lose friends and family. It isn't possible for you to be reasonable and rational when you are going through an episode and you eventually just stay home or quit trying to live a normal life. Work and school are nearly impossible.

I will say this knowing that I am about to be slammed by all the anti-depressant people here, but my sisters life was basically saved by the drug Paxil. Once she started taking this she was able to function normally in society within a week or two of starting the treatment. There are several other drugs like Zoloft that work about the same as Paxil. I know that she has tried several times to get off the drug (it has been over 20 years now), but each time she tries she goes back to having social anxiety.

Anyway, look into it and evaluate the pros and cons with your doctor or mental health professional. I can tell you that for every person that tells you how horrible these drugs are (which usually have few if any side effects) there is a person who will tell you they saved their lives from social anxiety or depression.

Good luck to you!

ETA: You are asking what you are dealing with and it is usually a chemical imbalance in your brain that causes social anxiety disorders. I am not a medical professional, but this isn't your fault. It is a physical problem that often requires a medical solution.

edit on 2013/11/23 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

To be truthful, I think that you are a normal caring human being. You'd think that you can't be wrong with that, but you'd be wrong.

It’s a dog eat dog world. Always has been and always will be. That’s the tough truth.

Maybe helping those who are less fortunate or maybe spending some time alone…but it’ll take some time. Find out what helps YOU.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So what is actually bothering you? If you are staying to yourself, might as well use it to your advantage!

So have you done the sit and write done all of it on paper yet? If not, do so. Write till you can not see anymore without thinking about it! Then forget about it and get some sleep! Now I am not a Dr, yet cut back on your dose some. Kids with AHAD, ADHA they actually get speed; did not hear this from me, in order to burn them out some. So depending on what pills you are taking; if any, read up on them. Most Pills that are given actually cause more of the problem later.

So say you are taking 3 pills a day, go to two. just miss a dose for the day. Do this for a week and see if things are getting better somewhat. Next is finding out the reason you have this. Start by going back in time to being a child, was you bored in school, problems with mom and dad, even lost a friend or family member?

You could be an Empath and not even know it and what your picking up on is other peoples Vibes as your own. Now if you are having Crazy thoughts, add a pill or tell your Dr ones aren't working; just leave out saying crazy thoughts! Its okay to have them
We all have them really, just do not act on them!

You basicly have kept yourself in a self imposed prison! Been there myself! Use the time to find out why you are having your Anxiety in the first place. Found mine point, it was at the age of 3 when my dad left home. And being an Empath only made it worst since I could not tell the difference between my feeling and others around. As an extra plus to it, I can even see ahead of time! Took me 46yrs to find this out!

Now life would like to toss a hard ball from time to time at you. Sleep here and there, stay awake, you might know this drill! Start with the paper, work with yourself, and try to accept it some! Don't see it as a problem to solve, see it as a better understanding of Who you are!

If people would start giving themselves a Hug everyday, looking in the mirror and say I am Good Looking, or turning inward and asking themselves what it is that they actually Need. You will find out all you ever needed was you in the first place! Who cares what people think! If you Love yourself would it matter?

Now on the other hand, if you are the crazy clown on the Avatar, and people all around tell you this. You might want to actually look into it some. Other them that, nothing more to say then:

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Peace

PS Forgot to add after a week, go read what you have written down. Make a small line through what don't make any sence; might need to read it again. And circle what make sence. Again leave it for a few days and rewite it!

Theres your starting point!
edit on 23-11-2013 by infoseeker26754 because: Forgot PS

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Chukkles
I've just found myself wanting to actually move forward in my life for the first time ever, my doctor literally said, I can't help you, someone else will be in touch.

I started to realise the things I needed help with, around 1997.

I found proper help last year.

It takes time, unfortunately, in this world cobbled together with a million different ideas on what is right and a million different directions on what to do.

This is why I am attempting to get into mental health. You cannot change it from the outside. Doctors in general are utterly useless. And cannot fight against old thinking with an outside voice. You need to get inside.

My anxiety these days is so much better than it was. An entire world of difference. And no medication, no alcohol, no anything other than how I have started to think. And that is just my personal remedy. mindfulness. not the fad. not the new age rubbish. not the fancy meditation.

I will give you a link to a form of therapy that basically changed my life.. saved it..

www.anxietyhappens.com...

I can't say if you will find it useful. You may find it annoying. But if you never know of it, you will never know... and I believe that this is one of the most powerful things that I've come across. It might have just been the right time for me. If someone had told me about it 20 years ago I may have ignored it and never realised the benefit of it.

But as far as I am concerned, it should be something we are taught from an early age. It just makes sense.

Anyway, the medical profession is useless. Don't consider what a doctor says an indication of what is out there to help you. And know that this will pass.

good luck.

(*ps, I didn't notice on that link there are things being sold, don't think I intended that. everything I mentioned and that is explained on that website is out there for free..)
edit on 23-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Im not the clown in the avatar.
That avatar is simple anonymity with the added implications of my taste in film and humour.

I'm not on medication. Well, other than the Californian way.
I keep myself calm as much as possible.

I do work, maybe not in the best profession for me, but it has sort of helped me a little.
I work as a night porter in a hotel, I do come into lots of contact with general public. But I don't give them my self when I talk or anything, I give them a fake version of myself and it works.
God knows what my co workers think when they see how I talk to customers and then see an instant change when I talk to them being more me.

I've spent too much time out of work in my life so I'm not gonna drop this until I'm secure in another job, but my anxiety really hinders my ability to perform well in interviews and even phone conversations, though phone conversations have improved with this job. Not that I've put it into practice outside of this.

All my jobs have been gained through either a family member or friend.

edit on 23-11-2013 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

I very much appreciate what you're all saying and for taking the time to read.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I too suffer from anxiety and my main symptom is headache. These headaches appear every time I am stressed, depressed, anxious or I can't solve a problem. No medicine will do any effect. Sometimes a pain killer will work for 30 min, and then the headache will strike back.

I avoided seeing a neurologist before checking with many doctors as I was sure that these headaches were physiological. From dentist to cardiologists, I saw many doctors and made different types of tests. I was fine, so I booked for the neurologist and did an MRI. The result was that I had no problems, and after I described everything I felt to him, he said that the headaches were pure emotional.

He said that I have two ways to deal with this, or I take medicine (anti-depressive or tranquilizers) my whole life, or I make aerobic exercises combined with therapy.
I ignored the exercises (lazy much), so I used and changed of anti-depressive many times, some with good results, some with awful side effects and I can sincerely tell you that I don't want, never again to depend on those medicines.

Since three months ago I moved to my first own house (in a different country) and the change in the routine is killing me emotionally. I was suddenly forced to act like an adult and it was for me a slap on the face.
I had a panic attack for the first time ever (I am not taking any tranquilizers for about 1 year) and it was the worst thing I ever felt in my life. I am also facing a problem of cardiac arrhythmia caused by anxiety, and the cardiologist was clear to me that what I need are aerobic exercises, my heart is fine, the problem is in the head.

We can't change the world, and anxiety will always be part of who we are. It's a problem that I now accept that I will face forever. Accepting it is the very first step. I am learning slowly how to deal with it. Know that you may face more problems than other people during some "normal" situations and don't forget to do some exercises. I am starting to see la vie en rose again.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Dear Chukkles - that was so irresponsible of the doctor, can't believe it. Don't give up on the professionals as there are those who will actually help you.

Go to the health food store and get some Holy Basil. For a lot of people it starts working right away. Also pick up magnesium. Take a B vitamin. In fact if you talk to the health food salesperson they will have had many discussions with past customers and will be able to help you. I have tried the Holy Basil and it is really fantastic stuff.

There are antidepressants that help with anxiety. Unfortunately a lot of meds that help with anxiety can also make you very tired. So it might be a bit of a trial period as to what works for you.

You're not alone. A huge majority of people have anxiety.

You can also, when feeling panicked, plug one nostril and breath out fully, then switch sides. This has a calming effect.

You're going to be just fine. I'm so glad you reached out.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Metallica - I completely agree with you. Excellent advice.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Winofiend - this looks really good. I have tried cognitive therapy (sounds like it's just mumbo jumbo but it really does help you change the way you think) and have tried the meds (which I hate but for me they are necessary) and I have tried self calming, etc.

I think everyone needs to find what works for them personally. But this site is really very good. Good post.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Chukkles

Im not the clown in the avatar.
That avatar is simple anonymity with the added implications of my taste in film and humour.

I'm not on medication. Well, other than the Californian way.
I keep myself calm as much as possible.

I do work, maybe not in the best profession for me, but it has sort of helped me a little.
I work as a night porter in a hotel, I do come into lots of contact with general public. But I don't give them my self when I talk or anything, I give them a fake version of myself and it works.
God knows what my co workers think when they see how I talk to customers and then see an instant change when I talk to them being more me.

I've spent too much time out of work in my life so I'm not gonna drop this until I'm secure in another job, but my anxiety really hinders my ability to perform well in interviews and even phone conversations, though phone conversations have improved with this job. Not that I've put it into practice outside of this.

All my jobs have been gained through either a family member or friend.

I very much appreciate what you're all saying and for taking the time to read.

Cool! Nothing wrong with your avatar! Hope you did not take it the wrong way.

At least try some of the things I've said anyway. Good thing your not doing the pills! Of all the people out there taking pills only maybe 5% actually need them!

Hell if I have anything like Anxiety; I just might though! I actually do not like people, seem to fake anymore! In the past 2 yrs I've seem to be getting dusgusted of the Human race! Yes, there are some good ones out there in the world we just need more of them!

So what would you like to do anyway? Blend it some, work on different ways in expressing yourself as you are. Myself though, I have what people would call strange! I can not have a job longer then 3-5 yrs, get bored and have to find something else to do! Most of them I stay at least 3 yrs though, max was 6 yrs at a coffee shop!

I piss people off somehow! Maybe because in 6 months I can learn something faster then people there 5+ yrs can do. Childhood was simple, no parents so had to learn it myself. If you ask me, the world has gone into Lazy mode! I can understand kicking back
just do the job you you are being paid to do first!

It seems your are doing just fine talking here so who are you and why do you have a problem talking to others? I have the same problem also! You do not have to change your job, your life any. Just work on your thing in your own way and in time it will work out if you put the effort into it.

Just remember sometimes the job finds you.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Anxiety is a symptom, not a disease.. More than likely the medication you're using has a lot to do with the symptom you're experiencing. As much as I depended on the same medicine to control anxiety the worse the anxiety became and the more dependent I became.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
As someone who suffers from Anxiety. I would try taking St. John's Wort once a day. It seems to help me out a lot.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I find it very easy to type, have been typing inane thoughts out on Internet for about ten years now.

I never have to meet you, I never have to look you in the eyes and never have to feel you looking me in the eyes. Which is awesome because I can't maintain eye contact for more than a couple split seconds.
I will never feel judgment here like I do IRL.

Even so, I can't get into the real nitty gritty on here.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I know what you mean, when you are out open and then completely wrecked/exhausted. That's me too.

I am actually "on the mend" again from another anxiety episode... a couple of weeks back it started and it took me over a week before I could even leave the house. And when I did, to get groceries, I was that knackered that I went to bed as soon as I got home.

I am very surprised by your doctor. I agree that it may have been out of his expertise, but surely he/she, going with he, should have referred you to a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis OR,referred you to a community health organization.

After official diagnosis, you're generally given a choice of medication or therapy or both. Medication can be a bit of a merry-go-round, until you find the right dose/type. But the warning with medication is that it can be pretty terrible withdrawing.

Therapy can also be a merry go-round, sometimes it takes a few visits to a few different counsellors/therapists before you find the one that works best with you. Please don't give up if you have a bad experience/don't feel right with the first one you try... give it a couple of sessions.

Anxiety is a stubborn disorder in my opinion, to treat. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was pretty helpful in my case, but for some it's not. I would start developing and strengthening personal insight, such as knowing what your triggers are, your fears, and how exactly you feel (emotionally/physically), when faced with these. Then I would explore bit by bit what those feelings involve, how often I feel them, look at each time they happened in the past etc...

If you ever need a chat, drop me a line.

Keep strong.

PS: I found that guided meditation helped, and then just meditating to the sound of the singing bowl or "om" chant... sounds silly but it's nice just for those times when I just want my head to shut up and want my body to just stay still. You should be able to find some sounds on youtube if you are interested.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join