It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Woman shot by cops in Long Beach, Calif., after refusing to drop fake gun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
VIDEO: Woman shot by cops in Long Beach

I didn't find this posted anywhere. It's current in today
s news. Anyway, I'd ask, what ever happened to tasers, but there's something odd about the video. Does anyone see any blood, especially after so many rounds fired? The woman's reaction is also quite odd, though admittedly I've never been shot. Is the the proper procedure for cops to follow? They stand their ground? Shouldn't they have retreated a bit as the woman approached? For being allegedly shot so many times at close range, the visible damage doesn't appear to be what it should be. However if indeed this did occur as described in the news, there's a different problem. This woman, though holding what looked like a real firearm, was not pointing it at the officer, was obviously either under the influence of drugs or alcohol and did not look aggressive, yet they chose to shoot her rather than subdue her via another means.

This is all so f'd up.
edit on 11/18/2013 by Mirthful Me because: Title...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Bilk22
VIDEO: Woman shot by cops in Long Beach

I didn't find this posted anywhere. It's current in today
s news. Anyway, I'd ask, what ever happened to tasers, but there's something odd about the video. Does anyone see any blood, especially after so many rounds fired? The woman's reaction is also quite odd, though admittedly I've never been shot. Is the the proper procedure for cops to follow? They stand their ground? Shouldn't they have retreated a bit as the woman approached? For being allegedly shot so many times at close range, the visible damage doesn't appear to be what it should be. However if indeed this did occur as described in the news, there's a different problem. This woman, though holding what looked like a real firearm, was not pointing it at the officer, was obviously either under the influence of drugs or alcohol and did not look aggressive, yet they chose to shoot her rather than subdue her via another means.

This is all so f'd up.

Well...not really a chance to see any blood on the video. Bullets to the abdomen with that much bulky clothing on are not really going to show any blood for a few seconds after hitting the ground. I think they were perfectly justified in shooting her. She had what appeared to be a real gun and was walking towards them and began pointing it in their direction. Sure they could have tazed her but who knows if that would not have made her fire the weapon when her muscles tensed up...and they did not know it wasn't real....looks very real to me though the video isn't exactly high definition.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That's about the clearest sign of suicide by cop that I've seen in a long time. I'm guessing the curb line was the mental line they had for her ..and then they gave her a couple steps past it before opening fire. What a tragedy. She knew what she was doing though and knew full well what they would do next.

Suicide by Cop. I don't know how else to view that one?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I'm sure this will turn into another hate cops thread but my 2 cents is it only takes a split second to twitch your wrist in the direction of the police.

This lady seems to want to end her life maybe she was too much of a wimp to do it her self and chose to go suicide by cop.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

It's not like the officers have a fake gun detector. As she was walking forward, the gun did get directed at the officers. If she was on something, that would just make her more unpredictable.
This seems pretty cut and dry in my opinion, the officers acted how they should have in that situation with the information they had.

Also, thats how getting shot really looks, not like in the movies where you fly back 10 feet.
edit on 18-11-2013 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by Bilk22

I'm sure this will turn into another hate cops thread but my 2 cents is it only takes a split second to twitch your wrist in the direction of the police.

This lady seems to want to end her life maybe she was too much of a wimp to do it her self and chose to go suicide by cop.
Yeah she looks like quite the sharpshooter
We hear shots but we don't hear the police telling her to drop the weapon and to get down on the ground. And again, tasers must be in the trash bin. Thought they were used just for this purpose? I'd believe this is staged before I believe this was intended to be suicide by cop.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

This is happening more and more often. Sadly I am unsure what side of this fence I am sitting on. She had a "replica" gun so perhaps it was hard to tell.

Sure wish the cops would start packing some non lethal bean bag rounds though as mentally ill people are falling victim to their own stupidity fairly often as of late.

What a freaking mess. With 40% of America on some kind of mood altering drug it is awful easy to run into a "Mentally Ill" person.

I am truly questioning the policy of shooting to kill in every situation that "feels" threatening. It is all about the militarization of the Police. These cops are treating Citizens as enemy combatants. Even the mentally ill ones....... IMO perhaps when that many cops are on scene they should wait for the person brandishing a toy (or any) gun pull the trigger once before they open fire. Face it, most civilians can't hit the broad side of a barn with a small pistol and the chances of her killing a cop when that many were already on scene were IMO ZERO!

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Staged by who? The cops sure don't want any more heat.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Staged? I have to ask... Staged by who and for what benefit? The 'star' of this as a staged event was shot repeatedly and killed on the spot. She sure didn't benefit by participation in any staging? The cops would have needed to know in advance she was carrying a replica weapon, planned to approach them without regard for orders to stop and then, would have to agree to coldly murder her in broad daylight.

I'm missing how anything on this tragedy could indicate staging to even a minor degree?

* OH... My bad for a correction.. I had to re-read that. She lived? Amazingly... Anyway... I guess it makes for an even more serious question as to gain for it?

Oh well.. excuse my confusion. It's hard to believe they missed vital organs with what appear to be several hits to the torso
edit on 18-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Really? did you see that fake gun?

What would you have done if you were in that situation let her shoot you, ask her to hang on a sec can I see your gun to make sure its real.

Like I said another thread that will turn into a I hate the police even if they were justified.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

That is horrid if real-the cop appears to empty a whole mag into her(?).
The woman looks drugged,but she did wave the gun toward the cop just before he shoots.
A tough one,but i would say the gun did point towrds the cop,and he has to protect himself-but a full mag?
Hmm.
Hopefully its fake.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Yes, she obviously did not appear to be a physical threat. Her mental state looked impaired. It's why I asked if they could have retreated to a safer distance and then determine the best way to subdue her. He just stood his ground. We also don't see the other cops so we have no idea how many more, but there were a lot of shots. If you ask my opinion, the cops look very amateur in how they handled this. Any one of us could have done what they did. Who needs cops to handle situations like this if that's the best they can do?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

If I could have handled the situation the same way, as you suggest, then what do we need trained cops for? They have other means to subdue people yet they now choose to not use them.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Bilk22
reply to post by Mamatus

Yes, she obviously did not appear to be a physical threat. Her mental state looked impaired.

How many situations like this have you been in? Are you a mental health professional? Are the police trained in mental health? Answer those and you have your answer.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by Bilk22

The article states she was 'forced' to leave her Husband and kids...she probably thought there wasn't much point going on and decided at the least, she could help give her kids a financially secure future through life insurance payout.

She would have figured, correctly, that most insurance policies won't pay out on suicides, so getting someone to kill her would enable the pay out.

Shame things got that desparate for her, but the cops had to shoot her...i would have, but to disable, not kill which seems to be what happened here.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Article says she survived. Hard to imagine after 12 close range shots.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Bilk22

Staged? I have to ask... Staged by who and for what benefit? The 'star' of this as a staged event was shot repeatedly and killed on the spot. She sure didn't benefit by participation in any staging? The cops would have needed to know in advance she was carrying a replica weapon, planned to approach them without regard for orders to stop and then, would have to agree to coldly murder her in broad daylight.

I'm missing how anything on this tragedy could indicate staging to even a minor degree?

* OH... My bad for a correction.. I had to re-read that. She lived? Amazingly... Anyway... I guess it makes for an even more serious question as to gain for it?

Oh well.. excuse my confusion. It's hard to believe they missed vital organs with what appear to be several hits to the torso
edit on 18-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Yes it's hard to believe she didn't die after all of those rounds hitting her at close range and to the torso. Hence, further making this suspicious. Why stage it? Hmmm? You can't make a guess at that?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Let's say they used a taser and she died because her heart was weak then I'm sure people would still complain that the cops should have known that she had health problems because she was a large woman.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by Bilk22

Yup agreed another thread to bash cops. I dare anyone to be in the cops shoes. You have what you believe a real fire arm being pointed at you, your mind and adrenaline take over, the flight or fight reaction. If I was a cop and I had a gun pointing at me I know what I'd do . Actually if I was an armed civilian and someone pointed what looked like a gun I'd be drawing my weapon to protect myself

I think the whole forum Posse Comitatus is a bit terrible all that seems to be posted is cop bashing. We never hear heroic cop stories, saving children, helping the elderly, performing CPR etc etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

intrepid

Bilk22
reply to post by Mamatus

Yes, she obviously did not appear to be a physical threat. Her mental state looked impaired.

How many situations like this have you been in? Are you a mental health professional? Are the police trained in mental health? Answer those and you have your answer.

>SNIP<

Cops receive training for situations like this, training that is supposed to be non-lethal. So yeah, questions need to be asked.
edit on 11/18/2013 by yeahright because: Off topic ill mannered irrelevant comment edited out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join