It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosts of the past; WHIG party wins election in Philly. That's right, the FRIGGIN WHIG PARTY!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Its a party that has been considered extinct for about 150 years but, a guy ran on their platform for a position in Philly and actually WON!

Philadelphia voters elect a Whig to public office

Robert "Heshy" Bucholz, a member of the Modern Whig party, campaigned door-to-door and won 36 votes to his Democratic opponent's 24 on Tuesday to become an election judge in the city's Rhawnhurst section.

Election judges, who serve four-year terms, receive about $100 annually and are responsible for overseeing equipment and procedures at the polls.

Previously an independent, Bucholz said he joined the Whigs three years ago because of their fiscally conservative but socially liberal views. They represent a sensible "middle path" between Democrats and Republicans, especially in light of the recent government shutdown, he said.

Yahoo News

Sure, its a little, do-nothing post with no real power but, it is a sign that some voters, at least, are willing to think outside the two party box and elect someone without radical conservative or liberal credentials. Maybe its a sign that the people are finally waking up to the two-party lie and are sick of trading one radical partisan for another with a different letter behind their names. Maybe people are finally sick and tired of supporting the same old, sick, corrupt system of voting in D's and R's and want more choices in their elections.

What does the Whig party stand for nowadays? You can check out their platform here

The Modern Whig party of the United States of America is the party for the rest of us, the party of patriots, the party of equality, the party of liberty, and the party of moderates.

We, the Modern Whigs, standing on the broad and firm platform of the Constitution, united by all of its inviolable and sacred guarantees and compromises, relying upon the intelligence of the American people, with an abiding confidence in their capacity for self-government and their devotion to the Constitution and to the United States of America, pledge to go forth with integrity, open-mindedness, pragmatism, and transparency as we pursue our civic duty.

How's that square up with the traditional, historic Whig platform? You decide.

The Whigs celebrated Clay's vision of the "American System" that promoted rapid economic and industrial growth in the United States. Whigs demanded government support for a more modern, market-oriented economy, in which skill, expertise and bank credit would count for more than physical strength or land ownership. Whigs sought to promote faster industrialization through high tariffs, a business-oriented money supply based on a national bank and a vigorous program of government funded "internal improvements," especially expansion of the road and canal systems. To modernize the inner America, the Whigs helped create public schools, private colleges, charities, and cultural institutions. Many were pietistic Protestant reformers who called for public schools to teach moral values and proposed prohibition to end the liquor problem.

The Democrats harkened to the Jeffersonian ideal of an egalitarian agricultural society, advising that traditional farm life bred republican simplicity, while modernization threatened to create a politically powerful caste of rich aristocrats who threatened to subvert democracy. In general the Democrats enacted their policies at the national level, while the Whigs succeeded in passing modernization projects in most states.

Wiki

They do say the economy is one of their primary focuses.

3.Inward looking economic focus - It's about time we refocus on ourselves and discover and implement policies to grow domestic demand and our manufacturing base.

Modern Whig

I like their views on reproductive rights:

The bottom line is that this one particular issue should not be the sole basis for which political party people affiliate with. On one level, it points to a deeper Constitutionally-based issue. On another level, it is one of the most deeply divisive issues facing America. Yet, it is not an issue that can find much common ground. This would seem to tell us that abortion ought not be debated at the national level, as the issue is too divisive for the Republic to stand.

Modern Whig

Its good to see a party willing to think outside the box and willing to let their party members think for themselves. Its a small, tiny start for the party but, at least its a real alternative to the usual two party trap.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

FortAnthem
Previously an independent, Bucholz said he joined the Whigs three years ago because of their fiscally conservative but socially liberal views. They represent a sensible "middle path" between Democrats and Republicans, especially in light of the recent government shutdown, he said.

Holy crap, the Whig party are fiscally conservative but socially liberal? Well maybe it is time to check out other party options in this coming election.

I think there are other options. Sorry, this image created by Daniel Stucke is so detailed that I didn't get a good resolution of it... but it shows the country's history through time, with darker colors being more extreme than lighter colors, in the house and senate.
edit on 10pmSun, 10 Nov 2013 17:54:47 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well that's interesting. But based on history repeating itself, I'd bet if they get popular they'll turn into corrupt sacks of crap.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I'm a combover guy so being a Whig seems like a natural fit.
That describes my view as well as any party ever has.
Sign me up.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Ditto...well, not the combover part, but the rest.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

darkbake

FortAnthem

Holy crap, the Whig party are fiscally conservative but socially liberal? Well maybe it is time to check out other party options in this coming election.

Yea man, as long as they can confine their liberalism away from the check book and mine then great. Seriously. We need to get the debt under control and I don't care who they hang out with.

top topics

join