It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck! Falling Satellite Arrives on Sunday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Looks like it's back up now.

ETA - five minutes later - down again!

edit on 10-11-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
C'mon people! This is ATS!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just a heads up....

I found a site that's tracking this thing in real time

Keep an eye on this Falling Satelite

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I guess everyone who possesses both eyeballs and an internet connection is looking at this, either that or the site has the worst tech support people on the face of the world.

Bummer. I would have liked to monitor this situation.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Maluhia
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Considering how much junk is up there - and the potential threat - sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, our military is a bit too focused on "enhancing certain pockets".

They do not concern themselves with "Collateral Damage" (that be you and me) now if it were to hit a modern military base it would be blown out of the sky...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
At what altitude does this thing officially start its re-entry? It is currently flying from north to south over north america altitude 152 at latitude 53 long 99

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

whatnext21
At what altitude does this thing officially start its re-entry? It is currently flying from north to south over north america altitude 152 at latitude 53 long 99

I think you're a bit off time...

the live link I posted says it just passed Madagascar

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The site is unavailable, as has been previously mentioned.

It's a pain.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Try this site

www.satflare.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Shall we take bets where it will land?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Ah, much better!

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
May have fallen already last night

You do know that these program will stil show them going around after they have gone down

and those projection could be out by as much as 5 to 15 minute off in a fast fall

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Some enterprising sort needs to start a "Space Wrecker Service". With as many aging bits of machinery, hardware and junk as are out there, carrying the potential of doing massive damage/injury down here - it would be a worthy investment.
Just need somewhere to haul all of it -- Space Scrap Yard.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

You do know that these program will still show them going around after they have gone down

Yep. Its not actually live feeding from the satellite itself. Just the computer projection from the last contact either by onboard systems or ground tracking radar.

Wherj you find that video?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

May have fallen already last night

I suppose, but if it fell safely wouldn't they have announced it by now? Projections have all been for tonight into Monday.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Does anyone know at what point altitude-wise that its orbit would start decaying rapidly and its rate of descent really starts to pick up?

Not asking where that happens, just at what point altitude-wise it would happen.

edit on 11/10/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Latest update I could find -

We've seen the spacecraft again over Kiruna at 19:56 CET (18:56 UTC), at an altitude of around 126 km. GOCE is still doing great; temperature of the central computer now above 50 degC. Next contact is expected at KSAT's Troll station in Antarctica at 20:50 CET (19:50 UTC).

[url]http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/2013/11/10/update-from-esoc-2015-cet/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=update-from-esoc-2015-cet[/ur l]

Can't get link to work.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Now they're estimating re-entry within the next two hours

The European Space Agency estimates that a satellite weighing 2,425 pounds (1,100 kilograms) will fall somewhere on Earth anytime between 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time in an uncontrolled descent from an orbital height of less than 80 miles (130 kilometers).

According to the latest GOCE satellite status update at 3:20 p.m. on Sunday, November 10, 2013, contact was made with the satellite at 2:50 EST at Antarctica’s Troll station.

space.brevardtimes.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Interesting.Somebody will catch it on YouTube and we'll see it here, I hope.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Does anyone know at what point altitude-wise that its orbit would start decaying rapidly and its rate of descent really starts to pick up?

Not asking where that happens, just at what point altitude-wise it would happen.

Hard to say. Something I read said the earths atmosphere is not smooth. Like the surface of the earth there are bumps and valleys. As the craft nears the top of these "peaks" it will be like driving your car along the beach. As long as you drive on the sand you maintain speed, as soon as you touch the edge of the surf, the car slows down and then speeds up again when you pass thru the wave. If you could see the craft from the ground it would appear to light up for a moment and then go out, light up, go out.

Thats the initial phase of reentry into the atmosphere. Those are "braking" moments for the craft and it will be caught by the atmosphere quicker at that point. I don't know how high that it is.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join