It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Snowden is such a champion of the people, why release only WESTERN secrets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
A very simple question: Why does Edward Snowden not release ALL the espionage information he has, including stuff that implicates and may (or may not) reflect poorly on the likes of Russia, China and co.? Why is it he only targets Western interests?

The cynical answer would be, the guy is nothing but an attention-seeking poindexter who is very conscious of not wanting to burn all bridges for his avenues of escape. If he dumped the full extent of the information he had, he would have nowhere to hide. Correct? As such, he's nothing but a weasel whistle-blower whose only tune is the Anti West Waltz.

Are we to believe the guy has no access to information about the underhanded activities of other nations, despite all the surveillance the N.S.A. have been doing? Or that the big, bad U.S. of A and her allies are the only groups on this entire planet engaging in spying?? Paranoid proletariat, please...

If Snowden is to be taken as anything more than run-of-the-mill traitor guilty of sedition, he should spill all the dirt on all the nations he's privy to the information of. Are not Russian and Chinese citizens worthy of knowing what their governments are eves dropping on while their Western counterparts are? Is Snowden racist??

Food for thought:
If Snowden where either a Russian or Chinese 'defector', he'd likely be dead already. Mull on that.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well I believe you answered your own question there.

If he burns all his bridges where is he supposed to go for safety exactly?

So I think you proved yourself that he had a legitimate reason for only releasing portions of it.

Don't you?

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
wasnt he a western analyst?
meaning his access was to western information?

if his exposure was to spying on US citizens, how would he know what china or russia did?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Because his target is American apathy and their ignorance in regards to just what exactly it is their tax dollars do under the secret hierarchy of surveillance operative and politician alliances.

Releasing foreign secrets would do nothing but change the structure of the conversation and aid our "enemies" politically to move forward with their agenda of a slow reversal of western movements into their interests.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
He worked analyzing Americans data, it was why he leaked it...

He wouldn't of leaked anything if it was only Foreign data, but thats not what he was looking at.

He leaked it because they where violating all of our 4th amendment rights, treating us as criminals with out trial or warrant to allow it.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by iLemming

Alright let me get this straight. This guy puts his neck on the chopping block to let us know how our own government is violating our rights and we want to call him a traitor. Come on guys reach way down and pull your heads out of your a##es. We encourage our government to spy on others but they are supposed to be doing so to PROTECT US! When they use their powers to violate my rights I for one am glad that someone has the balls to stand up and let me know!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
He's an American. His priority is the American people, his people. Not to mention the fact that he obtained his information by working in our government. But that's already been covered above.
edit on 5-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by colddeadhands

Sometimes I just feel like telling people to "slow down, take a breath, and pull your head out."

It probably wouldn't work but I think I would feel better.

edit on 5-11-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: Spell

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

solongandgoodnight

Sometimes I just feeling telling people to "slow down, take a breath, and pull your head out."

It probably wouldn't work but I think I would feel better.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to take a breathe or slow down until after I pulled my head out. I know what's in there, and I don't need to breath it.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
lol Snowden

do you think any thing that comes out hasn't been planed beforehand

anyone thats had net for a decade or two could tell you they new about spying even open-source

i want to hear what Gary McKinnon has fk Snowden
edit on 5-11-2013 by idontbeleveanything027 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iLemming

You already sort of answered your own question with the burning bridges comment. I believe it's also entirely possible that he simply didn't have unlimited access to every secret kept by the NSA which is what you are implying. Perhaps he mentioned information he was privy to because that's what he had available to him. Just because one has access to some top secret information does not imply they one has access to all top secret information. For all I know he may have worked in a department that strictly covered the US.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

okamitengu

if his exposure was to spying on US citizens, how would he know what china or russia did?

I think you're right. He was a Network admin and designer for the NSA, and CIA before that. I think he was up to his eyeballs in the American side of what was going on because he needed to be for his job of building the infrastructure to operate it. I never saw any hints in his Bio, either his own version or anyone else's, that he'd worked as a case officer or any active intelligence gathering.

I guess even a network admin has limitations for that need to know stuff.

Besides.....if he burned the whole world? Where would he have gone to avoid being shot in the street while going to buy a coke some day? Even if he said a little on other nations, he had to keep someone from hating him who still had the power to keep him alive, right?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Snowden was and is a traitor. He even has more than enough to fulfill the 2 independent witness requirement for the charge as outlined in the Constitution itself.

Having said that, I've also said from the very start that Congress DOES have the power to immunize him if they chose to, in exchange for his testimony on everything he knows and everything he's done. They choose not to.

They're literally the only ones who can, too, as I understand it. He's talking clemency from the President but I looked that up. There are very specific requirements on Obama for granting clemency and one of those, oddly enough, is to be convicted of something first.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I knew some smart @$$ would come along! It's figurative, ok?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Snowden is a very good BSer. He BSed his way into high paying government employment that most qualified individuals can't even get interviews for. My opinion of what he is doing presently is BS, too. The BS I am talking about is mixing vague facts with BS, which makes what he is saying appear credible. The reason he is wanted for illegal activity in the US is because he attained a security status that requires an individual to not talk about anything relating to their work.

From reading his background, he appears to be barely qualified to be a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad. The only thing he accomplished academically was to get his GED.
edit on 5-11-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Think about it, Do you think he would tell on the people that are giving him security. Asylum.

Did that not come to mind in your quest for answers.

That would be like you calling the cops on your roomate whom just so happens to own the house your living in.

DUH!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Because that was the information that he had...what is hard to understand about that?! He didn't work for the Chinese, or the Russians, or the North Koreans...he had information on the United States' tactics and intercepts....

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Spookybelle
Well I believe you answered your own question there.

If he burns all his bridges where is he supposed to go for safety exactly?

So... He's yella? He's only willing to 'do the right thing' if his safety (and celebrity) is ensured? Paints Islamist martyrs in a whole different light...

And if that is in fact the case, why not simply leak his revelations to the Internet. I heard that platform is quite efficient at disseminating information...

okamitengu

You honestly believe a guy who's harvested information from the N.S.A. - and organisation that's now in the headlines for using Australian embassies to spy on S.E. Asian nations like Malaysia and Indonesia - only had access to information of Uncle Sam's phone sex conversations...??

dictionary.reference.com...

yourmaker
Releasing foreign secrets would do nothing but change the structure of the conversation and aid our "enemies" politically

I think you'll find the U.S.'s enemies are already being aided by virtue of the fact that America's allies, too, are now turning an accusatory eye towards their (once?) trusted friend. Not least of which is Germany...

colddeadhands
This guy puts his neck on the chopping block to let us know how our own government is violating our rights and we want to call him a traitor.

Well, if it's good for Manning and Assange, it's good for the gander.

At least those two examples weren't as discriminatory with the information they leaked.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

FreshAirGirl
Think about it, Do you think he would tell on the people that are giving him security.

No need to think about it. It's obvious―he wouldn't. That is, a weasel after insta-fame wouldn't.

Conversely, someone operating under the premise of doing good and promoting a righteous cause would not consider their own situation in such a deliberately scheming fashion.

Mother Teresa didn't ask the children she helped for their signatures on a receipt.

ownbestenemy
Because that was the information that he had...what is hard to understand about that?! He didn't work for the Chinese, or the Russians, or the North Koreans...he had information on the United States' tactics and intercepts....

If you believe the N.S.A.'s primary objective of import is spying on Americans' sex cam sessions, then you also probably think your Second Amendment enshrined spud guns will protect you when the "tyrannical" government's Abrams tanks start rolling down your street.
edit on 5-11-2013 by iLemming because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Or maybe the U.S. is the only country with anything as pervasive the NSA. If the world was on equal footing then this would be a non-story. Do you really think it's possible Merkel could be spying on Obama's personal cell phone and Snowden is keeping it under wraps just to smear the U.S.? If other countries had similar capabilities than they would have known that no digital communications were secure.

The NSA's unwarranted intrusion of privacy of citizens is illegal. Remember the Constitution trumps all laws. The integrity of the Constitution is more important than ANY part of the government no matter how secret it is, and it takes a man like Snowden to put the liberty of the people before his own personal security. He personally had much more to lose than to gain with his revelations. He would make Benjamin Franklin proud.

edit on 5-11-2013 by SouthernForkway26 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join