It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a good way to start on a spiritual path?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I was wondering what your ideas are on how to begin a life of spirituality. I've always been interested in making more of myself in that realm of thought and being, but I don't know where to start, exactly.

All thoughts are welcome to this confused, would-be traveler.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

EllaMarina
I was wondering what your ideas are on how to begin a life of spirituality. I've always been interested in making more of myself in that realm of thought and being, but I don't know where to start, exactly.

If you can "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" .... being able to do that is a huge spiritual step in the right direction.

Now if it's enlightenment you seek...It's sort of like buying an automobile; lot's of choices to get from A to B.

I chose the quick and easy path to enlightenment but it's verboten to discuss here....

Anyway it's more about the journey than the destination...

edit on 31-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Well I can tell you one thing for certain... it doesn't involve your ego. It flies in the face of it. So what you have to do is get on your knees and pray to God. That's how you start. If you can't do that, just forget it.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Read, research, talk, listen, observe, reflect. Dont be quick to reject.

It'll open up, you'll find your own way.

edit on 31-10-2013 by skalla because: gah, forgot "listen", oops.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

What helped me allot and is still helping me getting closer to God and spiritual knowledge is by reading the Bhagavad Gita. It is a powerfull book to those who truly understand the context. I wish you a journey full off knowledge and spirituality friend.

Those who are seeking God are lost because we are God and he is in us and everything around us

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The first step on the path of enlightenment is to understand yourself. You need to understand what motivates you. You need to understand and admit to your foibles and acknowledge those areas of your personality and beliefs that could do with some work.

Before you can understand another person, you need to be aware of yourself.

It is the first step and the hardest part of the journey. Much of what you have learned to believe in life must be unlearned and / or relearned. Without admitting your own faults, you can never become enlightened or spiritual.

You start with you!

P

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

EllaMarina

Begin by understanding how you can 'trick' yourself...the mechanism you're in control of is not without its faults (brain included)...understand the concept of exclusionary dogma...familiarise yourself with systems that are 'open', and exclude those that are 'closed' (except when it becomes a function of what you experience - gravity, physicality...you gotta work with those)...understand that you have no 'rush' to achieve anything (spiritual...armageddon scenarios and hellfire, be saved by christ scenarios are exclusionist, if not by a loving God/Source - which doesn't make sense, when you think about it)...some, or all of the brilliant ones will essentially say the same things...find a common ground (draw a venn diagram if you like)...what is it that they are saying that is inclusive of what others say...brilliance has come before us, might as well use thier wisdom...don't become dogmatic yourself, people hate being preached to...especially those that are preaching to you...

...just some thoughts...

Travel well

Å99

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Work on yourself. simple as that, the rest will follow and let you know youre on the right path. True reflection, understanding, and rejection of ignorance and an open mind is a must. When you can know yourself and love yourself, you love and understand others. Most people's insecurities are a direct reflection of insecurities among themselves.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

The first step on the path of enlightenment is to understand yourself. You need to understand what motivates you. You need to understand and admit to your foibles and acknowledge those areas of your personality and beliefs that could do with some work.

I'd really agree with this. If we don't know ourselves and accept as well as make peace with the real failings and real issues we have (solved or not...but total honesty about what exists) than everything done will still be with some degree of self deception ..and that just won't work well, in my personal opinion.

I don't mean to use deception in any negative context either. Self-Deception is as common as looking in the mirror and saying you don't look fat ..when, perhaps, you really know you are, but just won't admit it. That sort of thing, down to the deeper character flaws.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

First, I would not rely to heavily upon the wisdom of places like ATS.

You might try taking a couple jugs of water and wander off into a forest for a week of solitude.
When you come back, reflect upon your forest trip for a year or so and somewhere along the line you might notice that you have been on your way for a while.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

TerryMcGuire

First, I would not rely to heavily upon the wisdom of places like ATS.

You might try taking a couple jugs of water and wander off into a forest for a week of solitude.
When you come back, reflect upon your forest trip for a year or so and somewhere along the line you might notice that you have been on your way for a while.

Ha ha...that's funny...(please take it respectfully)

...that would include not relying on your own posted wisdom...

Sorry, I thought that was waaay funny...

Å99

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

The Bhagavad Gita was one of my early readings too.
It is only now, 45 years later, that I think I may truly be beginning to grasp the nature of the wisdom imparted to Arjuna

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Most certainly any dribble from my lips should be considered questionable. Especially as advice given generically is easily turned to dogmatic cliche.

However, I do think that your advice of considering the nature of any system of thought being "open" or "closed" is a valuable addition to anyone's early self development

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

EllaMarina

The wise guys down at the Ganges say that if you take one step towards Goddess she'll take a thousand steps towards you. Sounds like you've taken that step.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

TerryMcGuire
reply to post by akushla99

Most certainly any dribble from my lips should be considered questionable. Especially as advice given generically is easily turned to dogmatic cliche.

However, I do think that your advice of considering the nature of any system of thought being "open" or "closed" is a valuable addition to anyone's early self development

Hey...I'm with you though...taking a year out to discover yourself is a good idea...
No dribble, friend...As good advice as any...just loved the mind-bomb conundrum, is all...I'm all for humour, even that serendipitous flavour...all of us Arjunas need it when riding 'that' stallion...

Cheers

Å99

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Its been said that the spirit finds you, and not the other way around....1st...give up all material things. Give them away. All electronics, clothing, possessions and means of transportation, except shoes.

And stop immediately eating anything that has/had EYES. *(thank you for that hint Paul McCartney).

When there is a new "you" with only the new "self" looking outward at all youve relinquished...and you begin to figure out why you THOUGHT you needed it all in the 1st place...with spirit...you can look inward.

The journey of 1,000 miles? Begins with the 1st step. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Know that you are the most potent special little black hole in all of creation, and that everything that happens outside of your black hole, outside of you, happens both because you are disconnected from yourself, and because you question just how special this little potent black hole is and can be. The illusion of life is just on the cusp of your inner black hole, and you can grasp all you want at it, you can pray to what ever you want to pull you toward it, but until you understand that you are the quantum verse, that you are everything, and everything out there is in there inside you, the little potent special black hole containing everything, you will be trapped in nothing, and swept up in everything. Every single molecule and galaxy, every spec of energy exists with in you, the most special little potent black hole in all of eternity. It, you, all = Ineffable. Peace be with you, for all of destiny which you seek and create escapes your black hole until you harness the power to set it free with in. Start at the end, Finish at the Beginning, no know and know no.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
....be sure to make a left 'toin' in 'Albakoikie'....

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Whichever Path You choose, KNOW (KNOW trumps "believe" 'felt' "thought") that a great majority of the Spiritual is based on "intentions" | equate it to being in Woodshop, You have to take the "written" prior to playing with the "power tools". You'll notice that even though You can build a birdhouse w/hand tools, it is much easier with power tools.
Also KNOW that each time a Self makes the decision to "seek" that it gets celebrated "above"

Do You meditate? If "YES" then also KNOW that "You are NOT Your body" if "NO" then meditation shortens the aforementioned "Path"

The Tao Te Ching was very beneficial to "My Trek" as it shined some Light on My Catholic™ upbringing...

Also TRUST Your gut!!! That is Your "ajna" (3rd eye; intuition) if the message doesn't vibe/resonate You don't NEED it. Like Jesus typed "Seek and You'll find"

Best of Luck!! See You at "The Turn"

namaste

EDIT: Incorrect spellin'
edit on 09/03/2013 by LewisStulePhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Sit with yourself, learn what you value, walk slowly in that direction.

Know that the path will always change, but as long as you head in the direction of your values, you are on the right one.

Spirituality comes from compassion. But you have to have it for yourself before you can give it to others.

If you mean religious type stuff though, I have no idea. It's a fantasy in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join