It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trunk or Treat? Really?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Who is familiar with Trunk or Treating?
This is a Halloween event held usually at a church parking lot which has cars with open trunks lined up beside one another. The trunks are dressed up and contain candy that the kids go around collecting.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? Sure you are getting the children off the streets and eliminating harm in one way but now children are thinking it's okay to take candy or toys out of the trunk of a vehicle. Normally the trunk of a car is a place you don't want your kids comfortable with. Now it's associated with a treat and I can see how they are just making it easier to entice a child into the trunk of a car by a Pedophile.

"Hey lil girl you see that bag of candy wayyyy in the back of the trunk? You climb in and get it an it's all yours" - Chester

I won't argue that Trunk or Treating isn't a attempt to make children safe but I don't think they are looking at the overall harm that could be caused...or maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a hill. Nonetheless my children won't be taught to hang around car trunks.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

it sounds like something to be performed in the bedroom?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I don't see the problem. It is sponsored by a church, in the churches parking lot. I am sure it is a much safer environment that setting your kid loose on the streets to go up to homes of strangers!

Would you be as pissed off it was perhaps done by the Chamber of Commerce?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Nonetheless my children won't be taught to hang around car trunks.

But walking up to strange houses is much better? Come on are you bored or just practicing feigned indignation?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Oh come on,
You're giving away my best tricks.

It also works on strippers with dollar bills, and the homeless with booze or food.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It doesn't really matter how you slice it, Halloween is breaking all the rules you teach young kids.

1.) Never talk to strangers
2.) Never take candy from strangers
3.) Never approach someone you do not know
4.) Do not play outside after dark

I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you don't like it don't take your kids there would be the safest bet.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

It doesn't really matter how you slice it, Halloween is breaking all the rules you teach young kids.

1.) Never talk to strangers
2.) Never take candy from strangers
3.) Never approach someone you do not know
4.) Do not play outside after dark

I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you don't like it don't take your kids there would be the safest bet.

A voice of reason in a sea of politically correct madness!!!!!

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
We have Trunk or Treat in my town. The only difference is the trunks are looked at judged by the kids with their parents to win a prize. Somebody is always standing near the trunk passing out candy like you would do if you want house to house Trick or Treating.

I wouldn't appreciate kids going in trunks either. That is sending the younger kids a bad message. Perhaps the alternative can be brought to the attention of those in charge?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You have a point, but I think the churches are far more dangerous to young minds than either the candy or car trunks.

And I'm not kidding; how many kids every year are victimized by people who their parents have taught them are 'safe' because they're associated with the church?

I think we should teach kids that anytime any man is wearing a ridiculous long robe with fancy embroidery, lots of gold thread and carrying a staff, to run in the other direction because they're obviously whackjobs.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The real problem here is kids are celebrating Halloween by walking around a parking lot.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

SeriousIndividual
The real problem here is kids are celebrating Halloween by walking around a parking lot.

As opposed to walking the streets? Not really seeing a con here......

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Bored, yes, but I wasn't saying walking up to houses is any better. Seriously though do you have kids? Are you comfortable with them being comfortable with the trunk of cars?
edit on 31-10-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

It's not just churches. I've seen different organizations, schools, country clubs and even large private parties at peoples houses doing this. I've seen it in numerous states for at least a dozen years. I'm not in to it, but hey, you don't like it, piss off, go do your own thing.
edit on 31-10-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This isn't about anyone not liking it then they don't have to participate. It's about whether this practice is a safe thing for our kids.
Of course I could choose not participate but that doesn't change the point that children shouldn't be comfortable around the trunk of a strangers car.
edit on 31-10-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

SeriousIndividual

I agree. I'm afraid Halloween is about dead, no pun intended. The way it was when I was a kid is long gone.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Lets see which is "safer", teaching kids to get candy out of a strangers trunk, or teaching kids to go up to complete strangers houses and accept candy from them? I'm going to make a wild claim and say they are both equally "unsafe".

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Whatever happened to having a party in a friend's house, inviting a bunch of kids, bobbing for apples, lighting the place up spooky, and telling ghost stories or playing spooky stories on the record player?

Okay, that 'record player' part shows my age, but you get the drift.

It's even better if you can get weird Uncle Ralph to walk around up in the attic rattling chains and moaning.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

seeker1963

I don't see the problem. It is sponsored by a church, in the churches parking lot. I am sure it is a much safer environment that setting your kid loose on the streets to go up to homes of strangers!

Would you be as pissed off it was perhaps done by the Chamber of Commerce?

A bit testy aren't cha? I didn't offer an alternative and I don't have one but no the Chamber of Commerce isn't what I had in mind either. Just because it's a church doesn't automatically mean safety. Sinners go to church.

Maybe I'm just fed up with all the crazy sickos ruining everything. This is in rant after all.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
sounds boring.

the fun is walking around seeing tons of costumes of other people, and vast decorations. I can see churches doing their own thing earlier in the day or something, but shame on anyone running events during the real trick or treating timeframe

church has already invaded this fun, 1 in 100 people give some lame Jesus brochure instead of candy.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Okay, that 'record player' part shows my age, but you get the drift.

Do you wanna compare grey hairs?
We had a record player and an 8 track in one.

Ah, those were the days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join