It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Call For Help Amid Energy Price Hikes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Thousands Call For Help Amid Energy Price Hikes

More than 30,000 people have contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau in the 13 days since the first energy firm sparked the latest round of price hikes. The soaring number represents a 55% increase on the number of consumers normally seeking advice about the best power deals. Since SSE announced its rise on October 10, British Gas, npower and Co-op Energy have all raise their prices. On Thursday Scottish Power became the fourth of the "Big Six" energy firms to announce it will raise its prices, with a 8.5% increase for gas and 9% for electricity from December 6. Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said: "The huge number of people seeking advice since the price hikes started is a barometer of consumer fear about energy bills. "Barely a day goes by without the bad news of another energy price increase. Price rises, just as temperatures start to drop, means people will see their bills this winter soar. Households are finding it really difficult to cope with the increases in cost of living." The Scottish Power increase will add another £113 to the typical annual dual fuel bill.

All our power companies have started to put their gas and electric prices up by over 10% just in time for the winter. every year it is the same with those greedy firms.

uk.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 25-10-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Even a blind butcher knows when the cleaver is hitting bone.
Seems the greed of some knows no ends and not content with all the meat now are going after the marrow.
Severe price gouging is what this is.
No doubt the energy companies will be paying handsome dividends to their ever-so-deserving shareholders.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I'm in the US and we're seeing the same thing. My husband's home remodeling business was so slow last year that we had to sacrifice keeping our heat on through the winter just to be able to pay our mortgage and other things. We bought a kerosene heater and would only put it on from maybe 5pm till we all went to sleep. We bundled the kids up really good, used an electric blanket and a few heating pads. We also have a wood burning fireplace. Although not very efficient, we have tons of wood in our backyard, so we would light it and huddle around it. Luckily our house is only about 750 square feet. Its still horrible being cold all the time. We just can't afford to spend $600 a month on heating oil.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Just got a letter saying how sorry that the prices are going up with my supplier. Believe that and I'm Santa Clause

JAK

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I've just received a letter too briefly mentioning tariff increase but not going into details there. Shh... What they were kind enough to point out though is that because of my payment method there will now be a standing charge which amounts to £94:90 per year for the privilege of keeping close tabs on what they are charging me because, for some reason, I don't have much faith in them (am probably a commie).

Just to clarify that is a new standing charge of £94.90 per year. It's worth pointing out too that charge is per fuel. I can thank my stars that it's not a £189.80 increase per year before any tariff increase then.

There was a breakdown somewhere, think it was on the BBC, of one company's increase and 10% was profit increase.

Of course with a Prime Minister who doesn't know the price of bread and a Mayor of London who doesn't know the price of milk, Cameron getting it in the neck because he's worried how the oiks will react to the forced* MP salary increase from £66,396 a year to £74,000 (plus expenses) while, for the general public, food banks seem to be doing a booming business gaining popularity despite the average wage sitting at just under £30k per year - I'm sure everything's gonna be jus' fine.

'course that's unless you catch pneumonia or something and become so ill that you cannot work.

Shuddap, soup is good food. Even cold.

tl;dr - Fair rant scotsdavy1.
edit on 25/10/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Its a joke davy. Every year its the same. Just before the big freeze they hike up the prices. Then im forced to burn all my clothes on the fire to keep warm. Then all of a sudden im stood there my underpants with my shrivelled up cold store wondering wth im gonna do?. So im forced to take the old ladies dress of the washing line next door. But the trouble is my legs get terribly cold in a dress. Its the same every damned year. And all this because of British Gas....Bastards!!!!!!!!!!..

And why the hell are these companies not getting charged with theft?..I suspect that some big wigs are in cahoots with the government. Its a disgrace.
edit on 10 25 2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join