It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador to sue UK over denying Assange safe passage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hi peeps..

Well according to this report Ecuador's Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino is looking into taking legal action against the UK for denying Julian Assange safe passage to Ecuador...

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino declared on Tuesday that Ecuador is considering to sue London in the International Criminal Court at The Hague for its refusal to allow Assange safely travel to Ecuador, RT reported.

“It’s been over a year that Mr. Assange has been in our embassy. We are seriously considering what we will do in the coming months and the possibility of using other diplomatic bodies, as we have been raising [with London] proposal after proposal,” Patino told reporters.

Patino further noted that he may go “for example, to the International Court of Justice to deal with it.”

The top Ecuadoran diplomat reiterated that while British authorities have so far demonstrated their willingness to speak with Ecuadorians on the matter, they have shown little desire to resolve the case.

Patino also expressed his growing concerns about Assange’s health, since he is reportedly confined to a small room in the embassy and unable to leave the premises due to heavy police presence outside the building, waiting to seize him.

www.presstv.ir...

Seemingly it has also cost us (UK tax payers) £4,000,000 to keep Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy as there is need of a permanent police force of at least 8 officers..

And I do not doubt that the UK government is not wanting to resolve this case because of its ties with the US. We all know how much the US government would like to get their hands on him...

He has been holed up there for a long time now. I would have been going stir crazy long ago...! I wonder what out governments next move will be...

Peace
Fluff

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's a total disgrace. I hope they find a way to get him out and to Ecuador. Too bad Ecuador doesn't have Ninjas.

ETA: Too bad "no white hats" in our black ops network will help him. But they probably don't exist....
edit on 10/10/13 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Why don't the Ecuadorians just put him in a diplomatic pouch and send him on his way?
Or, grant Assange full diplomatic priviliges, issue him a diplomatic passport with appropriate immunity - and chopper him to the airport?

It's difficult to believe 8 police officers cost the UK 4million pounds, unless those guys get paid a HELL of a lot more than cops in the USA!

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

ganjoa
Why don't the Ecuadorians just put him in a diplomatic pouch and send him on his way?
Or, grant Assange full diplomatic priviliges, issue him a diplomatic passport with appropriate immunity - and chopper him to the airport?

It's difficult to believe 8 police officers cost the UK 4million pounds, unless those guys get paid a HELL of a lot more than cops in the USA!

ganjoa

Those cops havent cost a single penny because if they weren't skulking about outside that embassy they'd still be on duty somewhere else.
But you right, it still hasn't cost 4 bill for 8 cops! Someone should demand to see the bill so we can see WHO got most of that 4 bil.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

4 million not 4 billion...! Seemingly this is the figure cited by the site presstv.ir...

So I do not know for sure if that is a legit figure. I certainly hope it is not...!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

fluff007
reply to post by VoidHawk

4 million not 4 billion...! Seemingly this is the figure cited by the site presstv.ir...

So I do not know for sure if that is a legit figure. I certainly hope it is not...!

Dont know why I said four billion LOL

But I'd still like to know how it cost 4 million.

edit on 10-10-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Quite simply, neither the US or the UK would abide by the law and let him leave via diplomatic privilege. This was proven with Snowden when they thought he was on a diplomatic flight out of Russia. The UK and US would be all over the helicopter and Ecuadorian jet like sharks on a feeding frenzy. Assange would then be paraded and kangarooed while the UK and US pat themselves on the back.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Assange issues has nothing to do with Snowden and mixing the two should be avoided, the parties that are after them are different (even if the outcome may be not), the only similarity is that they risk extradition to the US for prosecution.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

You missed the point, it's not about comparing the two but what the US has already proven to do. Both are wanted for similar things, leaking information, though it is of two different natures. The US proved with Snowden that it would violate international law to get someone they desired to extradite even if granted asylum.

The UK has implicated itself by violating international law regarding Assange's asylum too Ecuador. Asylum has been granted to Assange via Ecuador but the UK will violate the asylum by arresting Assange if he tries to leave the Embassy to board a flight to Ecuador even if he is in a diplomatic vehicle/aircraft.

They will further violate the asylum by handing him over to the US. This is the crux of the matter, both countries are in violation of international law and Ecuador seeks to sue the UK in the world court for the violation. Any litigation in the world court against the US would simply be ignored by the US since it does not recognize the court and believes itself to be above international law.
edit on 10/11/2013 by pstrron because: break wall of text.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

That is eight officers full time or 24 officers per day plus relief officers for lunch and pee brakes. Say roughly 200 man hours very day. Now add getting them there from the station, cars that need to be in place should he leave in a diplomatic vehicle, plus oversight and organization every damn day. Overtime for the night and week end shifts.

Now add in all the politicians and civil servant time for the negotiations plus this and plus that. Yea, I could believe it has cost 4 million by now. Don't forget that these are not your average bobbies.

Guys, it all adds up.

P

new topics

top topics

join