It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Low for Law Enforcement: 80,000 Volt Stun Cuffs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Sounds Kinky.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people in law enforcement are sadomasochists?

We are told to be wary of people who inflict harm on others or animals, as that may be a sign of some kind of psychosis.

Does it still work if applied to a government institution?

locks up your muscles

The heart is a muscle.
almost peed myself.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm really surprised at the shocked responses to this thread. This is not news, everyone, but has been going on for awhile. Remember all the talk about Jodi Arias?

Guess what she was restrained with IN COURT, EVERY DAY during her trial? Stun restraints, plus more!

Here is a crime writer's blog that is decent, but you can find a ton of other sources:

Blog

Search for things like: 'how does Jodi Arias get ready for court' to find more information.

Before she put on her demure blouses and black slacks, though, she would be fitted with an electric security shock belt around her waist. And on one of her legs, a brace would be placed that is designed to hinder her mobility. The uniformed guard who you may sometimes see on camera can activate the shock belt if Jodi becomes a threat inside the courtroom.

This is really common, apparently though, it isn't known by the masses. I'm trying to remember how I know but can't. Maybe it was even the Arias trial.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

These are some of the most dangerous animals on two legs though.

What makes you think that’s the only people these cuffs are being used on? It doesn’t say that anywhere. They're being used on all inmates.

Check this out.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Before I begin let me state that I think the advent of less-than-lethal weapons was a good thing. Tasers, chemical agents, less-than-lethal munitions, batons, etc are all effective yet relatively safe ways of apprehending dangerous criminals

That's how it usually begins. The next thing you know, they'll be putting those on 90 year old Grandmothers.
edit on 7-10-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I'm really surprised at the shocked responses to this thread. This is not news, everyone, but has been going on for awhile. Remember all the talk about Jodi Arias?

Sounds like you’re sufficiently conditioned to accept this torture. LOL

It’s not really shocking since stunning devices have been used by some LE since at least the 70’s but the stun cuffs are news to me. The fact that this device is used on someone who is already restrained is the problem…

Waterboarding = Torture!

Shocking someone who is already restrained with 80,000 volts = Reasonable?

That doesn’t make sense to me! Sorry!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Visitor2012

Before I begin let me state that I think the advent of less-than-lethal weapons was a good thing. Tasers, chemical agents, less-than-lethal munitions, batons, etc are all effective yet relatively safe ways of apprehending dangerous criminals

That's how it usually begins. The next thing you know, they'll be putting those on 90 year old Grandmothers.

I bet it won't be long.

Look, I have very little (if any) sympathy for violent criminals. The reason this is particularly alarming to me is because ANY OF US could be detained, thrown in jail and accused of a crime. In this day and age according to DHS we're all potential domestic terrorists. I certainly don't want to be subjected to this type of device. Do you?

It's all well and good until it's YOU wearing these devices! That prospect should change your perspective.

edit on 7-10-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Message to L.E.

The fact you can still today wear a badge and look in the mirror PROVES you have a low level of Honor and Integrity.

But, if you really continue down this road, the whole world will RIGHTFULLY HATE YOU as you are NO DIFFERENT than NAZI DEATH CAMP SOLDIERS!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What makes you think that’s the only people these cuffs are being used on? It doesn’t say that anywhere. They're being used on all inmates.

I'm not assuming that at all. It's why I very carefully and very specifically prefaced the reply before last in saying ....those who abuse the use of these restraints should be defendants in the courtroom and not officers serving it.

I mean that too... These are VERY effective control devices because the are absolute control. Someone could be in a full berserker rage and this baby is dropped them like a lead weight. On the spot. Boom.

With ultimate power comes ultimate accountability. So, I feel these are little more than an extension of the belt being used over 17+ years now. In fact, voltages are about the same, if I'm not mistaken. The belt just requires a whole lot more work for the Officers and more risk in handling the dangerous inmates to get it onto them properly. This is just cuffed and zapped, if required.

Heck, I am all for throwing the book at those who would abuse them though. They are probably already abusing the restraint belts and other methods being used in jails and courthouses all over. Bag the bad guys, not the technology ...when there are VERY bad people this technology is crucial in controlling at times.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Message to L.E.

The fact you can still today wear a badge and look in the mirror PROVES you have a low level of Honor and Integrity.

But, if you really continue down this road, the whole world will RIGHTFULLY HATE YOU as you are NO DIFFERENT than NAZI DEATH CAMP SOLDIERS!

I’m going to take flames for saying this but it's my thread and I don't care! LOL

I still think being a police officer or first responder is honorable. I’m not going to let the actions of a few spoil the profession as a whole for me.

I respect the work MOST police officers do but much like congressmen, the overall perception of their actions these days is not good!! They need to police themselves and remember who they work for before they no longer have a job…that goes for all of them!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

seabag

Visitor2012

I bet it won't be long.

Look, I have very little (if any) sympathy for violent criminals. The reason this is particularly alarming to me is because ANY OF US could be detained, thrown in jail and accused of a crime. In this day and age according to DHS we're all potential domestic terrorists. I certainly don't want to be subjected to this type of device. Do you?

It's all well and good until it's YOU wearing these devices! That prospect should change your perspective.

I think your concerns are warranted. I went from top scoring recruit to hating police in about 4 ride alongs 1997. It was then my get out the corps and be a cop goal was crushed. So many shady things and Out and OUT anti-Constitution acts. Plus the guys were real _ _ _ _ _ _ _-Bags..

First of all.. No REAL AMERICAN PATRIOT would ever, EVER, EVER throw an American out of their home for the profit of Corrupt Foreign Interests. Nor would one Participate in acts CLEARLY against liberty, revenue GENERATE (lame tickets clearly for monetary reasons).

The Town My Mother Lives in Illinois, had a police for a short time, they eventually got rid of it as ALL the cops were doing was PREYING on the townspeople for MONEY!!
there started being all these rolling stop tickets, 5mph over tickets, etc.. and the cops, NO MATTER WHOM HIRED, ended up FIRED! engaging in coitus in back seat of patrol vehicle ON DUTY.. having the local town hooker report that one of them threatened to arrest her if she didn't do him a favor.

Anyway, None with Honor would wear a BADGE today.. FREE SPEECH ZONES?? CHECKPOINTS??

that alone..

CIVIL ASSE FORFEITURE... THAT ALONE..

NO HONOR.... NONE in a R E D C O A T .... badge

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

seabag
reply to post by Ameilia

Sounds like you’re sufficiently conditioned to accept this torture. LOL

It’s not really shocking since stunning devices have been used by some LE since at least the 70’s but the stun cuffs are news to me. The fact that this device is used on someone who is already restrained is the problem…

Waterboarding = Torture!

Shocking someone who is already restrained with 80,000 volts = Reasonable?

That doesn’t make sense to me! Sorry!

No, it sounds like you misunderstood what I'm saying, or I said it wrong. I'm not shocked people are upset at this. I was floored the first time I heard about. What shocks me is that you all have JUST FOUND OUT. It makes me wonder if these stun cuffs, etc. were intentionally kept under wraps. That's what is surprising.

Edit to add:

Also, if you are going to quote me, don't try and cherry pick to make it sound like I said something which I didn't say.

Your problem is I pointed out (with a source) that what you are reporting as news has in fact been occurring for quite some time, and is not news.
edit on 10/7/13 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Found word doc this online

Doc

A few of the points:

2. Due to the Stun-Cuff Magnum’s potential to cause serious injury, this weapon shall only be used in the following circumstances.

a. To overcome active resistance.

b. To overcome a subject whose active aggression is an immediate or credible
threat to the safety of the deputy(s), the public, or in cases when a subject
poses a credible threat to their own safety

7. The Stun-Cuff Magnum shall not be used on a subject who was previously subdued by a Taser or other type of Conductive Energy Device within the last 24 hours.

a. IF THE SUSPECT LOSES CONSCIOUSNESS, DEPUTIES SHALL IMMEDIATELY SUMMON EMS TO RESPOND TO EVALUATE THE SUSPECT

Edit:

ISSUE DATE: October 12, 2007
edit on 10/7/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

No, it sounds like you misunderstood what I'm saying, or I said it wrong. I'm not shocked people are upset at this. I was floored the first time I heard about. What shocks me is that you all have JUST FOUND OUT. It makes me wonder if these stun cuffs, etc. were intentionally kept under wraps. That's what is surprising.

I misunderstood you then…but you did see the "LOL" after my reply, right?

Edit to add:

Also, if you are going to quote me, don't try and cherry pick to make it sound like I said something which I didn't say.
I like cherry picking!

Your problem is I pointed out (with a source) that what you are reporting as news has in fact been occurring for quite some time, and is not news.
My OP quoted a recent article from a police LE website. Apparently it’s news to some within the LE community, too.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

roadgravel
Found word doc this online

Doc

A few of the points:

2. Due to the Stun-Cuff Magnum’s potential to cause serious injury, this weapon shall only be used in the following circumstances.

a. To overcome active resistance.

b. To overcome a subject whose active aggression is an immediate or credible
threat to the safety of the deputy(s), the public, or in cases when a subject
poses a credible threat to their own safety

7. The Stun-Cuff Magnum shall not be used on a subject who was previously subdued by a Taser or other type of Conductive Energy Device within the last 24 hours.

a. IF THE SUSPECT LOSES CONSCIOUSNESS, DEPUTIES SHALL IMMEDIATELY SUMMON EMS TO RESPOND TO EVALUATE THE SUSPECT

Ya, that device sounds REALLY safe, doesn't it!

Would you want to try it on for a while. After all, it only has a few "bugs and kinks" to work out still. There is only a small chance it could go off randomly. LOL

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The standard zap is 2 seconds. That 2 seconds I would imagine feels like forever. I hope I never get to find out.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It locks up the muscles, but doesn't affect the heart. Okay. He does realize the heart is a muscle, right?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

roadgravel
The standard zap is 2 seconds. That 2 seconds I would imagine feels like forever. I hope I never get to find out.

You and me both! I’ve tasted my share of CS gas and I’ve even felt pepper spray (I had a can and was playing around with it…
I’ll take gas or spray over taser any day!! LOL

Just for fun….let me ask you this.

Waterboarding is considered torture by our government today (including our POTUS). This is simply pouring water on someone’s face for an extended period to induce feelings of drowning. How come the people who consider waterboarding "torture" aren’t raising hell about electrocuting an inmate who is already restrained and in custody? Where is the ACLU?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Whats Next , Explosive Collars ? Whatever happened to Human Rights in this Country ? Cruel and Unusual Punishment seems to be OK now ? ..............Geez.........

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

AnonymousCitizen
reply to post by seabag

Pure torture for those already restrained?
Tides are turning. You do realize that in most jurisdictions citizens have the right to use deadly force to prevent serious bodily harm or death to themselves or others, right?

Even if you tried to pull the self defense clause, the law does you no good when someone else kills you. It's simply be struck up as resisting and they'd say it was a lawful use of force to subdue you that led to your demise.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

roadgravel

Then you better do as you're told.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join