It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar-powered Plane Just Flew Across US Without a Drop of Fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Solar Impulse has had a long journey since May 3, when the manned plane began its first flight across the U.S., flying day and night without a single drop of fuel.

At 11:09 p.m. local time Saturday, Solar Impulse safely touched down in New York City, bringing its journey to a close.

Things are changing before our eyes, all the branches of technology spreading, some connecting to form amazing things.

theoretically it can fly forever, but of coarse everything needs maintenance but hey, right foot forward first.

If we can fly an plane all across america, then fly it around the world then that is really something amazing

www.goodnewsnetwork.org...

Solar Impulse is an innovative project leveraging technological prowess and the spirit of adventure by means of an airplane. Launched in 2003, it completed the world's first solar 26-hour day and night flight in 2010. In 2011 Solar Impulse flew to Brussels (Belgium) and Paris (France) and in 2012, the HB-SIA prototype completed the first intercontinental flight connecting Europe to Africa.

edit on 3-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
S&F
I knew it was only a matter of time when they would pull something like this off, I had often thought about something like this for a good while, finally the fruits of labor have blossomed!!
--
Now I'm curious though, that's a pretty small plane. Are there plans afterwards from successful trials to increase the scale of it? to carry more passengers? that's the biggest hurdle now.

Maybe increase its power storing capabilities, charge it first before liftoff, then let the solar aspect take it over during mid flight.

It's going to be a renaissance all over again much like when the industry first birthed consumer flight.

Your right OP, things are slowly changing for the good and I am certainly glad that it's happening during my lifetime, my child will finally grow up in a world with clean energy sources.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
wait, so it started the trip on may 3rd?? and took 5 months to complete the trip? he should have just walked it would have been faster.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Tardacus
wait, so it started the trip on may 3rd?? and took 5 months to complete the trip? he should have just walked it would have been faster.

Actually, the trip ended on July 6th (2months trip) since the article was posted on Monday,July 8th and stated that the plane had landed saturday (2 days prior)

Still a long trip nonetheless and still a great advancement also. Cant wait for5 the 'round the world trip witch would likely take over a year...

top topics

join