It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sentient World Simulation: Meet Your DoD Clone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
QUOTE:
Purdue University's Synthetic Environment for Analysis and Simulations, or SEAS, is currently being used by Homeland Security and the US Defense Department to simulate crises on the US mainland.[1] SEAS "enables researchers and organizations to try out their models or techniques in a publicly known, realistically detailed environment."[2] It "is now capable of running real-time simulations for up to 62 nations, including Iraq, Afghanistan, and China. The simulations gobble up breaking news, census data, economic indicators, and climactic events in the real world, along with proprietary information such as military intelligence. [...] The Iraq and Afghanistan computer models are the most highly developed and complex of the 62 available to JFCOM-J9. Each has about five million individual nodes representing things such as hospitals, mosques, pipelines, and people." END QUOTE:
en.wikipedia.org...
3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentient_World_Simulation
www.theregister.co.uk...

The DOD is developing a parallel to Planet Earth, with billions of individual "nodes" to reflect every man, woman, and child this side of the dividing line between reality and AR.

The NSA’s illegal warrantless wiretapping programming. The building of the massive NSA data center in Utah to permanently store copies of all digital communication sent around the world. The UK government’s “Communications Data Bill” to monitor emails, instant messages and other personal information. What was dismissed as crazy conspiracy theory just over a decade ago has become, in this post-9/11 era, the all-too-familiar stuff of newspaper headlines and talking head reportage.

The Sentient World Simulation’s aim, according to its creator, is to be a “continuously running, continually updated mirror model of the real world that can be used to predict and evaluate future events and courses of action.” In practical terms that equates to a computer simulation of the planet complete with billions of “nodes” representing every person on the earth. - See more at: www.boilingfrogspost.com...

I have heard of many simulations but never one on such a grand scale and detail. I can see the benefit from such a simulation for planners; but golly gee I can also wonder where all this path of technology may be used in the future. A detailed sim with all the emails, text, credit card transactions, you ideas on your social networks all placed in a sim and a little number is you... Pretty big "WOW" factor IMO especially if used as a psyop program for the masses.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Indeed this is sketchy, doesn't sit right in my gut. Uhhhg, why does BB have to be so paranoid...

Guess there is nothing I can do about. I do find the concept intriguing and can only imagine the number of possible implications and uses are infinite. Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
As long as my avatar is cool...

And when quantum computers come online we will learn we are a simulation running a simulation inside of a simulation.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

They're ripping off Jorge's Louis Borges short story about a map of a kingdom that became so all consuming and detailed that the kingdom was destroyed. Stupid DOD.
edit on 3-10-2013 by sjorges2002 because: They are

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

With the spread of blogs, social networking sites and media-sharing technology, the conditions under which our military forces conduct operations are rapidly changing. These conditions and speed with which information is pass are further accelerated by proliferation of mobile technology. Addressing the implications of these trends is part of preventing strategic surprise. DARPA’s mission is to prevent such surprise.

To accomplish this, SMISC will focus research on linguistic cues, patterns of information flow and detection of sentiment or opinion in information generated and spread through social media. Researchers will also attempt to track ideas and concepts to analyze patterns and cultural narratives. If successful, they should be able to model emergent communities and analyze narratives and their participants, as well as characterize generation of automated content, such as by bots, in social media and crowd sourcing.

DARPA conducts its works within legal and ethical constraints and has taken a leadership role in the science and technology community to address privacy and ethical, legal and societal implications (ELSI).

Seems like we heard that in front of a congressional hearing from Clapper, No?
www.darpa.mil...(SSIM).aspx

www.darpa.mil...

Develop quantitative analytic tools to study narratives and their effects on human behavior in security contexts;
◦Analyze the neurobiological impact of narratives on hormones and neurotransmitters, reward processing, and emotion-cognition interaction; and
◦Develop models and simulations of narrative influence in social and environmental contexts, develop sensors to determine their impact on individuals and groups, and suggest doctrinal modifications.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Forgetting any expense factors on the tech level this is very, very cool. Even with the expense this is something we can probably actually use as we move into the future.

DoD will have no trouble finding talent for this. Just tell the techies to "Come and play with our multi-billion dollar version of Sim Earth." Nice!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent008

They already have quantum computers. It's just every time they unpack the boxes to set them up, they vanish.

But serially.. this is an old story. Kinda using programmed herd mentality to simulate mass responses to things. A kind of God Game for snoops.

I can only see it as an interesting thing.. people are not completely predictable.

Even brundle fly had to add a randomness to the machine in order to transfer matter. Otherwise it would be too correct and deformed.

edit on 3-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
What if we are actually the simulation? huh?

Another thought: What if we are the simulation of another world and we make a simulation of our simulated wold; then, wouldn't we essentially be throwing a wrench into the original world's simulation?

A simulated simulation, or a synthetic species? Isn't that what GMO is?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Right.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
News to me and I'm supposed to know about these things. Must have been the 400 acidtrips finally catching up to me.

I wonder...An exercise here that people are really sick of is terrorist blowing up Wolf Creek dam and the colossal destruction it would cause. The worst case scenario is the swamping of Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant with tsunami like waves. These drills are ok-and kinda fun-the first and maybe the second time. After that it is just redundant.

I wonder if this is the kind of scenarios they propagate?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The trouble with such a simulation is that it can't emulate sentience in its nodes. Without that aspect of human nature, a simulation is basically pointless.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Restricted
The trouble with such a simulation is that it can't emulate sentience in its nodes. Without that aspect of human nature, a simulation is basically pointless.

You would be surprised how much of your "sentience" behavior is predictable and easily guessed by simulation, despite what people think,

We all are not unique snow flakes and predictive modeling has been highly successful in guessing human behavior from past trends.

ETA

The more disturbing trend is what Successfully modeling the entire planet and population could mean for the Simulated or Holographic universe hypothesis. IF we are ever able to pull off such a model it leads to a high probability that this universe is one such creation.
edit on 3-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

You must not understand the implications of there being one simulation. Ho ho, you're gonna love this.
IF there is one complete simulation, ever, then that means we are most likely a simulation. Not just one of many, but one of a probable infinite number. Give the vid a watch and then reassess your life and everything you believe in.

Do you feel that creeping sensation as it inches up the contours of your spine? Do you hear that dark whisper as the chilling breath of truth gently graces the hairs upon your earlobe? And as the words so long kept hidden from you begins to wash over your brain, tell me, in that mess of electrical signals...do you comprehend what this means?

Now you're free. Do the thing that you know you must do.
edit on 3-10-2013 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My former military buddy, who first hand used advanced tech that decades later became available to the public, firmly believes that the US has real actual artificial intelligence.

My guess is there is a full blown AI world simulator used for stuff like this but also wars, diplomacy, foreign relations, strategic planning, all kinds of stuff.

join