It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Batbout M’Khmer Bread...first time making.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So I wanted to try a different type of bread to go along with the Moroccan Stew I made. It wasn't a from scratch stew so I want to make at least the bread from scratch. I went on a hunt online for traditional Moroccan breads and came across this one as being a pretty common flat bread there. I also learned a bit about Moroccan bread history and it's importance there.

Here is just a snippet of information on the Moroccans and their bread.

In cities, Moroccans can be spotted daily in the early parts of the morning carrying bags of assorted breads that they picked up at the market. In villages women can be found baking bread from scratch in earthen ovens. Traditionally, Moroccans eat three meals a day, with lunchtime remaining the most important as all family members still come home from school or work to eat together. At each of these meals, one person is designated to distribute the bread.

I would love to visit and have some fresh bread! When I was in Italy that was one of my favorite things, the fresh bread. Between the bread and pasta I gained about 7lbs but it was worth it lol

If only people still sat together for meals. I know some do but lets face it the majority esp in the US do not. I know that with my son we will still have "family" time at dinner which means NO tv, phones or computer. Everything is off and you sit at a table and eat with your family.

I also liked this little saying or ancient proverb as it's called there.

“manage with bread and butter until God sends honey”.

If you want to read more on the Moroccans and bread go here. You can also just read about Morocco in general.
this is the direct link to the bread recipe as well.
Moroccan Bread Recipe

Ok now the bread.

Batbout M’Khmer Bread Recipe (makes 3 flatbreads)

Ingredients:
-300g Plain white flour
-100g Fine semolina (Durum Flour/Semolina Di Grano Duro)
-1 1/4 Tsps salt
-1 Package (7g) Dried yeast
-300-320ml Water, lukewarm (not hot)

I had to figure out how to convert since I do not have a kitchen scale but I will now!! I have a friend who is a pastry chef and he helped me out with conversions.

Method:
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the water in a bowl.
2. Stir to dissolve and leave for 5 minutes, until it becomes frothy.
3. In a big bowl, mix together the flour, semolina and salt.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture.
5. Stir in the flour to form a stiff dough.
6. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
7. Divide the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces.
8. On a lightly floured (with Durum Flour) surface, roll out each piece to form a round 1cm (1/2 inch) thick.
9. Let rise, covered with a tea towel, for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until doubled in size.
10. Heat a frying pan or a griddle over medium heat, until very hot.
11. Place one of the dough rounds in the hot pan and cook on both sides until golden brown.
12. Repeat with the remaining dough rounds.
13. Let cool on a wire rack.

Flat rounds

Cooling on the rack. I just took one of the racks out of the oven. One got a little over cooked, had to tend to the little one! I must say I've never cooked bread in a cast iron like this before but it was delicious.

A nice flat round with a nice crispy crust on top.

And the finished plated product

I wont lie I ate one of these myself last night. DANGEROUS! I added a little butter and it was tasty!

Now the Moroccan Stew I made was a sauce pack I found at the store. It's by Campbell's. I had never seen them before nor had I ever really heard of Moroccan Spiced Stew but I love the crock pot and with my little one making things 100% from scratch isn't as easy as it use to be esp with him being more active every day! I love crock pot meals because it takes no effort lol just toss it all in and cook! I have looked for a recipe for Moroccan spiced stew but I can only find the regular Moroccan stew. I will try that next and see how that works and then I can tweak it from there to make it how i like it, spicy!

I served it with some Jasmine rice. It was sooo good!

Here is a link to the campbell's packets.
Moroccan Spiced Stew Sauce Packets

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Nobody has ever heard of this bread?

Any Moroccans here?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Looks interesting, and not too hard.

I bought a pretty inexpensive scale [from Amazon] to make the pizza from a thread here....once you get used to it....it's the way to go for baking.
Also, if you weigh your yeast, you can buy the jars which is FAR more economical.

Is it kind of like pita bread at the end?
How long did it take to fry? Was the pan smoking hot?
What kind of plain flour did you use? Just general purpose?
How long to rise? I can probably handle kneading for 10 minutes.

I can see that bread with a nice salad with fresh mozzarella balls.

edit on Mon Sep 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe

Looks interesting, and not too hard.

It is super easy. I never fried bread before in a skillet but it was good.

I bought a pretty inexpensive scale [from Amazon] to make the pizza from a thread here....once you get used to it....it's the way to go for baking.
Also, if you weigh your yeast, you can buy the jars which is FAR more economical.

I sooo need a scale! I never needed one but lately I've come across many recipes I can't just convert as easily. I am looking for a nice one this weekend at the Flea Market.

Yea I buy the yeast packets because they sell Gluten Free at the Dollar Store of all places. I will have to look at a local herbal store or online for a jar of Gluten Free yeast.

Is it kind of like pita bread at the end?

Yea I'd say it's like a very thick pita bread. You could probably make them smaller and make a sandwich with them. I think I might try that next. Meatballs sub?

How long did it take to fry?
Was the pan smoking hot?

Not long. I'd say a few mins on each side on medium heat. I used a cast iron skillet. I put a little EVOO in the bottom so it wouldn't stick and cooked each side about 3mins. I used a lid as well. I was worried it wouldn't cook thoroughly and I didn't want to increase the heat and burn it lol The lid seemed to help and then letting them cool helps too because they will still cook on the inside a little while cooling down.

What kind of plain flour did you use? Just general purpose?

I used bread flour. I always use bread flour when I make any kind of bread. It is the King Arthur brand. You can use general purpose flour. I just prefer bread flour.

How long to rise? I can probably handle kneading for 10 minutes.

I let them rise an hour and a half. The instructions said 1-1 1/2 hours so I went with the full time.
Yea kneading for 10mins killed me. I have had major hand problems since having my son
I don;t know what it is. I go to a doc this month to get some tests. I hope it's not arthritis, there goes my bread making. I'd have to get a bread machine and I just dont find the same enjoyment with a machine as I do by doing it by hand.

I can see that bread with a nice salad with fresh mozzarella balls.

Oh for sure! I ate two loaves that night haha. I kept dipping it into the stew in the crock pot. It was so good! I liked having the semolina in it. I never made bread that had semolina in it. I usually use semolina for Pasta making. Next time I make it I'm going to add some fresh herbs to the mix!

If you ever make it let us now how it comes out!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

If you don't see one, you can get them fairly cheap at amazon

Yes, I have KA bread flour.....use it for the ATS pizza...which is no-knead BTW...have you tried it....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

How did you flip the bread?
Now I just have to get the other flour, and I'll be all set to try it....
Was the kneading really hard to do? There isn't that much dough, I guess....and I think my first attempt will be a half recipe.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

The kneading usually isn't too bad for me but since having my son I've had some problems with my hands. This was the first time i kneaded something where it bothered my hands. I see a doctor Monday so hopefully they can figure out what is causing it. I tend to drop things more than I ever use to. I love making bread and not being able to knead it myself would just really suck.

I used a flat spatula to flip the bread.

I will have to try that pizza dough recipe! I have some pizza ingredients just need the dough and I have been wanting to make pizza for the last month. I might have to do it this weekend!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe

If you don't see one, you can get them fairly cheap at amazon

That is a nice one! Thanks!

I'm sending the link to my husband, he has the Amazon card lol We buy a lot from Amazon. I even told the UPS guy the first day I met him that he would be here often. Now we joke about what is in the package each week. lol I will be making him a nice holiday goodie basket for sure!

new topics

top topics

join