It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge legalizes same-sex marriage in New Jersey; Christie vows to appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

A state judge today ruled to legalize same-sex marriage in New Jersey, saying gay couples would be denied federal benefits if the state kept allowing only civil unions.

Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson granted an emergency request by six gay couples, ordering state officials to begin officiating same-sex marriages on Oct. 21.

"Same-sex couples must be allowed to marry in order to obtain equal protection of the law under the New Jersey constitution," the judge wrote in a 53-page opinion.

Judge legalizes same-sex marriage in New Jersey; Christie vows to appeal

Another step in the right direction begins on Oct. 21. 2013

although the justices left it to the state Legislature to decide whether to call it marriage or something else. Lawmakers instead set up civil unions.

edit on 27-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Good to know that Christie doesn't stand for this.

Good luck to him and the uphill battle ahead.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
One step in the right direction is right

I remember quite well when U.S citizens used to come ALL the way here to Canada to get hitched. It'll be nice for them to be able to do it close to home

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I know how to change his mind.

I am am so tired of gay marriage being an issue. Joe Rogan has a great quote on it that I suppose I can't post here. The only reason there is an issue is because there is not as much separation of church and state as there should be.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Christie has as much chance of winning this case as a box of donuts lasting a day in his office. On what legal grounds is he basing his appeal on? Could it be he is letting his religion influence his decision instead of law?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Great response

Law or religion.... Who is he to judge and change who can marry who? Love is love. My beliefs are that he is definitely appealing based on religion. So narrow minded.

Makes me ashamed to be catholic, which is why I'm more of a spiritual being now

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

mikeone718

Good to know that Christie doesn't stand for this.

Good luck to him and the uphill battle ahead.

That's a pretty morally bankrupt comment, calling equality an uphill battle in your efforts to remove it. If your god doesn't want gay people to get married, he should come down here and tell us face to face, and not hide behind his weird freaks who do so much to hate things that do not even affect them.

Seriusly, what does it matter who does what? go protest something that really makes a difference and stop interfering with the lives of people you do not even have to associate with.... strewth..

And if anyone throws a bible quote at me, it's only going to prove my point.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I just made a deposit, how am I bankrupt?

Forget God. Nature my friend. You can't argue with those laws.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Great News! I Hope all the Happy Couples have Many , Many Children . Oh , wait.......

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I predict that we'll be seeing this more and more, state to state. It's about time, in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join