It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time and Space may not be what you think!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

To better understand why Time and Space may be completely different then our current view we must start at particle/wave duality. For those of you who do not know what particle/wave duality is. It is an observed effect in Quantum Mechanics where sub-atomic particles and atoms behave either as wave-forms or form solid particles under certain conditions.

This was brought to light with the double-slit experiment: en.wikipedia.org... and has baffled some of the greatest minds in Physics ever since. In 1999 more research proved that larger atoms like Carbon-60 the molecules they form known as buckyballs also show particle/wave duality which means entire atoms AND molecules exist as a wave-function and collapse into a physical particle. physicsworld.com...

Most physicists don't understand why this is; but the answer changes everything we know about reality being a "physical world" as these experiments are proving that physicality only happens under observation and measurement.

External Source Link to Read More...

We may be living in the event horizon of a singularity where space is merely the by-product of information processing and itself completely virtual.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

The age old problem,as described by certain philosophers.
And confirmed by is it the Heisenberg principal?
When observed,the outcome is different than when unobserverd.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Is an example.

By viewing or being aware of an event,we the humans can and do alter the outcome of said event.

That sounds like subconscious telepathy to me-or confirms the quantuum theory,or both.
We are multidimensional timetraveling beings.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We cannot travel through time physically because of our changing position is space, if we go back one day we will wind up off this planet. To fix this we would have to know the exact direction we are flying through space and travel through time very very fast to get there.

If you consider our time as a line, we need to intersect a different molecule on that line to jump time. This would mean super fast travel in an exactly plotted course. We cannot figure that out because we cannot exactly plot the exact point of origion and the course we are taking. We also cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You know what they say, truth is stranger then fiction.....

Everything is perception, so the question to me becomes what is perception?

When I look at a telephone wire hanging from the poles in front of my house all I see is lines. From my perspective they have no depth. Now imagine being an ant on the wire....the perspective changes quire dramatically. An ant can travel around the wire.

The phenomenon I am most intrigued with is time and how it is perceived by me and me alone. As Enstein once said, “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.” What puzzles me about this is there are times when I am amazed at how much I can get done in an hour. Another time I will try and expect to accomplish the same thing yet don't come close because time appears to be moving much quicker. IDK I think the word "appear" is key here, does it appear or is it? I understand the science but sometimes the experience flies in the face of science.

I like the analogy of us living on the event horizon and I think about how when you watch a piece of dirt or a toy spining around the drain caught in a whirlpool and you can see it begon to move around slowly, once it goes beyond the event horizon the object speeds quickly down to the bottom or down the drain....whoosh! That is also how time feels, when you know you have work to be done by a deadline and towards the beginning you can get so much done in an hour but as soon as your recognize that dealine ends in an hour boy you can't seem to get much done.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Is an example.

By viewing or being aware of an event,we the humans can and do alter the outcome of said event.

That sounds like subconscious telepathy to me-or confirms the quantuum theory,or both.

There is no doubt, that a paradigm shift is on the horizon with simulation theory and digital physics presenting more and more evidence that our assumed physical reality is really just information.

In another discussion someone was pointing out that we only have 4 dimensions the forth being Time however we are on the verge of main stream science accepting that a fifth dimension exists and I broke that down figured it was worth sharing here for food for thought.

---
One thing we know with certainty is that our reality exists in a 3rd dimension and with time being the fourth that brings about the animation of change as information cycles out with each delta T.

However, in quantum mechanics there is also superposition which in itself provides evidence that probability also factors in to particle interactions. Probability is also known as the 5th dimension, and through superposition we observe and measure probability.

If we look at Carl Sagan's flatlander view of dimensions we know that information propagates into the next geometrical manifold allowing more data; when information from that next manifold is observed from the lower dimension, the information is truncated. That is in the 2nd dimension XY the Z axis from the third dimension cannot be measured, so 3rd dimensional observations in the second dimension truncate Z thus all the flatlanders see is the third dimension described in the constraints that XY will allow.

In the fourth dimension we have quadruplets so the coordinate system is [x,y,z,T] [ T standing for delta-T, or the triangular simplex] and in the third dimension we can only observe forth dimensional information as [x,y,z] as we cannot observe the quadruplets. Mathematically we can so we have tesseracts and hyperspheres which are geometrical abstractions in 3rd dimensional space which show how a cube would behave and look if it had quadruplets .

Although we cannot directly see the 4th dimension from it's topology, we do see it's effect as time when 3rd dimensional information changes as time. In the 5th dimension we have 5-simplex, 5-Cube and 5-orthoplex. Since we are now working with simplexes we don't really assign too many variable representations and simply extend the mathematical representation of dimensions for each simplex. I suppose we could assign the 5th dimension "P" for probability if we need to add it's axis. [x,y,z,T,P] or stick with the simplex [3,3,3,3] but for the sake of simplifying dimensions and demonstrating how information propagates, dropping the T,P relative to the 3rd dimension is easy to visualize and understand... all we get in the third dimension relative to probability is [x,y,z] and it's effects which is noted in superposition and that type of particle behaviour.

I wouldn't say the 4th or 5th are spacial dimensions rather larger informational sub-sets relative to how information and math moves with dimensional constraints.

Mathematically the 5th dimension is a very valid construct, and if it exists we would expect some type of behaviour in the 3rd dimension which would represent it's shadow and that my friend is superposition and probability observed in quantum mechanics.

This is also where thought experiments like Schroedinger's Cat come into play and David Bohm's Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. I have linked already the UCAL resonator which shows that a supercooled superconductor switch when invoked by a qubit shows the switch as being both on and off in the same volume of space.

We are far more cut off from the 5th dimension because the fact we are constrained by the 3rd dimension and how that information is truncated.

Here are some articles on Probability.
www.sciencedaily.com...

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

arxiv.org...

---

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I take comfort from the idea of multiple dimensions,the whole Schrodingers cat deal...
If correct,then everything bad that happens to you in this world is conteracted in other realms,where really nice stuff happens to you instead.

In another realm my dogs lived for 25 years at least,and my friends did not die in wars and car accidents.
That comforts me in a small way.

Hope that doesn't make me seem weird,although hey most religions are more wacky than my comfort in a theory I think.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

That is an interesting thought sort of like an inter-dimensional karma
However it has other sides to it, for that principle to work it would mean every time you were really nice to someone here, in another dimension you are being a read ahole to someone else, so every time you are nice to someone here your hurting others in another dimension...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Every time a new theory comes out, I can't help but think of the Classical Elements theory.

Way back when, they thought the basic elements were fire, water, air and earth. Link

As we know, they were incorrect.

As we grew and experimented, we discovered the current truth.
As we continue to grow and experiment, we will discover more truths.

Our current understanding of how things work is our Classical Elements. Thousands of years from now, they'll laugh at our child like perspective of the world.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

I'm laughing now!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse

I take comfort from the idea of multiple dimensions,the whole Schrodingers cat deal...
If correct,then everything bad that happens to you in this world is conteracted in other realms,where really nice stuff happens to you instead.

In another realm my dogs lived for 25 years at least,and my friends did not die in wars and car accidents.
That comforts me in a small way.

Hope that doesn't make me seem weird,although hey most religions are more wacky than my comfort in a theory I think.

What you believe in in theory is becoming more science fact than science fiction here are two articles which entertain the many worlds view and schordinger's cat being valid theory not bunk.

Making big 'Schroedinger cats': Quantum research pushes boundary by testing micro theory for macro objects

Since Erwin Schroedinger's famous 1935 cat thought experiment, physicists around the globe have tried to create large scale systems to test how the rules of quantum mechanics apply to everyday objects.

Researchers at the University of Calgary recently made a significant step forward in this direction by creating a large system that is in two substantially different states at the same time. Until this point, scientists had only managed to recreate quantum effects on much smaller scales.

Professor Alex Lvovsky and associate professor Christoph Simon from the Physics and Astronomy department together with their graduate students revealed their findings in a world leading physics research journal, Nature Physics.

Read more at: phys.org...

Bizarre 'Schrodinger's Cat' Comes Alive in New Experiments

Another possibility, called the many worlds interpretation, would be even weirder: that all the possible states are real, and when the wave function collapses to one state, we're just experiencing one of many universes that exist simultaneously, in which every possible outcome happens. When the wave function collapses, we (and the cat) remember one history — a dead cat — but there's another universe where the cat is alive.

Read more at: www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Another recent discovery which is worth mentioning is the Jewel geometry calculations [amplituhedron] which also presents information showing that time and space may be illusory :

A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

No one knows quite what to make of this discovery. But the new amplituhedron research suggests space-time, and therefore dimensions, may be illusory anyway.

Read More: www.simonsfoundation.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I recommend the book The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot for those interested in this thread. It is not a dense read and Talbot mixes some of his own beliefs in with the ideas he presents such as Sai Babas so called materializations and such which have been thoroughly debunked. The book does do a decent job of getting into the work of Physicist David Bohm and and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram and their Holographic theory.

The Holographic Universe

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Silcone Synapse

Is an example.

So what you are really saying is that the Universe exists because of us, and for us. If a tree does not make a sound when it hits the ground, unless a person is there to hear it, then human beings are truly special and necessary for the universe to exist. Did the world exist before we were here to discover it?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Rosinitiate
You know what they say, truth is stranger then fiction.....

Everything is perception, so the question to me becomes what is perception?

When I look at a telephone wire hanging from the poles in front of my house all I see is lines. From my perspective they have no depth. Now imagine being an ant on the wire....the perspective changes quire dramatically. An ant can travel around the wire.

The phenomenon I am most intrigued with is time and how it is perceived by me and me alone. As Enstein once said, “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.” What puzzles me about this is there are times when I am amazed at how much I can get done in an hour. Another time I will try and expect to accomplish the same thing yet don't come close because time appears to be moving much quicker. IDK I think the word "appear" is key here, does it appear or is it? I understand the science but sometimes the experience flies in the face of science.

I like the analogy of us living on the event horizon and I think about how when you watch a piece of dirt or a toy spining around the drain caught in a whirlpool and you can see it begon to move around slowly, once it goes beyond the event horizon the object speeds quickly down to the bottom or down the drain....whoosh! That is also how time feels, when you know you have work to be done by a deadline and towards the beginning you can get so much done in an hour but as soon as your recognize that dealine ends in an hour boy you can't seem to get much done.

Relativity is perception.

I think of perceptions as different colors (shades/densitys of light). Everyone's viewpoint is just one of the infinite colors of the rainbow.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

Every time a new theory comes out, I can't help but think of the Classical Elements theory.

Way back when, they thought the basic elements were fire, water, air and earth. Link

As we know, they were incorrect.

As we grew and experimented, we discovered the current truth.
As we continue to grow and experiment, we will discover more truths.

Our current understanding of how things work is our Classical Elements. Thousands of years from now, they'll laugh at our child like perspective of the world.

Actually, a theoretical physicist has recently proved that the group mathematics of the rank-8 Lie groups E8 and E8xE8 at the heart of heterotic superstring theory has an analogous counterpart in the five Platonic solids in the sense that on average each half of a Platonic solid is composed of 248 geometrical elements surrounding its axis, so that every root of E8 has a geometrical counterpart in each half. In other words, the academic view that the ancient Greeks were wrong about the significance of the five Platonic solids to the physics of the universe is false. Where they went wrong was in believing that the particles of the five Elements have the shapes of the regular polyhedra. However, their belief in a connection between the physics of matter and these shapes has turned out to be based upon a sound intuition, so that academic opinion needs to be revised in order to take account of this mathematical discovery. For details, see here:
smphillips.8m.com...
The analysis proceeds within a wider context of other sacred geometries having exactly the same analogous property, together with the geometrical basis of the powerful gematria of Kabbalah, as revealed by the Pythagorean tetractys. This needs to be assimilated before examining the proof.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

NihilistSanta
I recommend the book The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot for those interested in this thread. It is not a dense read and Talbot mixes some of his own beliefs in with the ideas he presents such as Sai Babas so called materializations and such which have been thoroughly debunked. The book does do a decent job of getting into the work of Physicist David Bohm and and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram and their Holographic theory.

The Holographic Universe

I keep meaning to check this out. I should probably do that.

On that note-- I wasn't aware that Sai Baba's materializations had been "thoroughly debunked" as you say. Sure, they're easily explainable as sleight-of-hand, in many cases. However, "easily explainable" is not the same thing as "thoroughly debunked" IMHO, which requires actual proof, not just a good explanation.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Well after I read the Holographic Universe I looked into Sai Baba to see if the claims from the book were true and ran across several videos similar to the one below. The tricks used are pretty hard to deny but that does not mean other claims from the book are false.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Relativity says that position and velocity of an object are always relative to some other object. Indeed, it is this relationship with other objects that gives meaning and specific value to these variables. In an universe with only a single particle and nothing to measure its speed against (analogous to a well isolated quantum particle), it could have any speed from zero to lightspeed, if it even makes sense to speak of a speed in such universe. So the speed of a lone particle is not well defined, like an observable in a quantum superposition.

In a way, quantum mechanics is a further generalisation of this principle, where *any* observable property acquires a well defined value only by interacting with other particles (collapse of a wave function or decoherence).

Take the abovementioned speculation with a huge grain of salt tough, I aint no physicist.
edit on 29/9/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Space IS time is the state of static.
Time IS space in the state of kinetic.

The Base Material which is the actual composition of space and/or time is an infinite structure so it defies accurate definition by any finite such as myself.

We, in our Universe, exist in a transition bandwidth where both space and time are co-existing because we are witnessing the transition of pure space state (the infinite expanse and all the future) imploding from everywhere, towards everywhere, down and inward, towards becoming pure time as all the past located at the ONE infinitesimal Singularity that is engaged in infinite speed kinetics AND angular diversities (the "underworld").

We're somewhere contained within that event that never began, will never stop, and cannot change. Most importantly is why would this space-time process exist at all. It is Eve the infinite Bride, for you types that prefer to use or apply religious metaphors.
edit on 29-9-2013 by tkwasny because: typo fix

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
There are several dozen videos and free book available by Physicists Thomas Campbell about reality of Universe and What time and space is

Here's one of the videos you may like to watch (ahh how to embed video in ATS?)

According to T Campbell the wave-function is a probability distribution that collapses into solid particles when the "system" renders the information. He states that we all exist in a virtual reality and this universe is about data exchange by the system which is trying to improve itself through lower it's entropy through feedback loop. In a virtual reality, time is simply a refresh rate between frames being rendered by a cosmic computer.

Here's another excellent video between DR Dean Radin and Tom Campbell (video embed code not available)

www.youtube.com...

edit on 29-9-2013 by Seeker7319 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join