It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Makes me think of a passage in the bible about mans' knowledge becoming almost as great as God's, and he was not God, so God destroyed the earth. He promised not to destroy the earth again, until mans' knowledge became that great again......

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I wonder if this means creatures/beings could be made of light??
edit on 25-9-2013 by AbleEndangered because: changed: these to this, added /beings

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Star and freaking flag!!!

Awesome to see a positive post on here. So could someone put what they did into terms I can understand better?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

VoidHawk

canucks555
reply to post by Sportbominable

Fontons are the vessels that contain copious amounts of melted cheese. They are what you dip your Photons into. When you have friends over for a Fontondu..

A star for making me laugh

As for the OP, this is the kind of thing that should open skeptics eyes! I've lost count of the times I hear those words "Cant because of the laws of physics"

We live in exciting times.

Except no one said that about this. And it was actual scientists that did it. The same scientists that you and others disrespect when it is convenient for you.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
For photons to be pulling and pushing each other, there must be some kind of mass, even if it is beyond our measure.

For light always has a source, and a source is always made of matter. Light does not come from nothing; it comes from something.

Light is the revealing of what would be otherwise invisible if it was not resonating at the frequencies at which our human eyes and brain are designed to comprehend and translate into vision.

Just like sound is the revealing of what would otherwise be inaudible if it was not resonating at the frequencies at which our human ear drums and brain are designed to comprehend and translate into hearing.

The universe is not what we perceive, but what we perceive is indeed the universe. But it is not as we see it, neither is it as we hear it. These mediums are merely extremely limited ways of revealing the truth of the universe.

There are many levels of frequency we have not come to understand.

Our human body is capable of receiving every frequency of this universe, indeed. But understanding all that we are taking in and learning to blend the senses into one unified sense instead of constantly seeing the universe broken up into 5 (or 6) senses is counterproductive.

What these scientists did is not to make two photons mimic the behavior of a molecule for a minute. That's an illustration they are providing to you to give you some kind of mental picture or idea of what they are trying to convey.

What they did is create a tiny loop in reality. It's a back and forth through the forward motion.

It's like sending you forward 2 seconds, back 1 second, forward 2 seconds, back 1 second. For all we know that is the norm and we count the back 1 second as a forward second. (Of course, all of these words are simply tools of the abstract in an attempt to relay the truth that is within my mind; but these words are very limited unfortunately, so what I am trying to explain to you might not be understood well... just as their picture and their description of their experiment probably won't be understood probably; and from what I am seeing, it definitely hasn't been contemplated carefully in this thread).

But what I suggest is that, whatever our current timing is, they syncopated the timing.

Time is directly related to space. If you affect space, you affect time, and vice versa.

They took the most fundamental particle and made it dance.

This is not about lightsabres. This is about time manipulation. Of course, by time manipulation, I speak more to our perception of it. The reality is that the universe exists the way it is.

It is the apparent purity of our perception that is now in danger; assuming we haven't already been assaulted by lies of space/time by the extreme levels of order and chaos that exist throughout the universe. It baffles me still that the scientists of this earth are still so incredibly naive as to believe that just because they see something, it is as they see it, or just because they hear it, or just because their extremely lazy instruments pick up a reading, that it must therefore be empirical evidence. Perception is not reality; it is merely an abstract representation of reality so that we might interact with it... somehow.

Lightsabres and tractorbeams and holodecks; all themselves only abstract representations of the abstract; theatrical displays to the drama of reality.

IF we are able to make time dance to the beat of our drum, we have no need for any of those things.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

if photons don't have mass, then how do they make a cymbal ring?

You can shine a lazer at a cymbal, and it will physically react to it.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by benrl

if photons don't have mass, then how do they make a cymbal ring?

You can shine a lazer at a cymbal, and it will physically react to it.

They have no mass, they do have energy, and heat will cause a reaction.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

have you seen what happens when you shine a laser at graphene?

Check out Nassim Harameins recalculation of the mass of an atom as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yes I do.
nut they made antimatter and we did not blow up.

things made of light!
its like some thing only angles should have.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

AbleEndangered
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

have you seen what happens when you shine a laser at graphene?

Check out Nassim Harameins recalculation of the mass of an atom as well.

Nassim Harameins is a fraud. Why would anyone care what he has to say? The Schwarzschild proton theory really revolutionized the world didn't it. But hey, he did pay money to have his work published in a quack journal!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wow. Thanks. Not really sure what all this means. From what I'm gathering they basically turned light into a new kind of matter....right?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

My mind just did a complete backflip.

I have to read the article more thoroughly but wow !

S&F

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

jjsr420
Wow. Thanks. Not really sure what all this means. From what I'm gathering they basically turned light into a new kind of matter....right?

No. Light does not interact with itself. They were able to create a medium where photons of light interacted with themselves.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Essentially that is what they did. They used a loophole in the laws of physics basically. They knew that a photon traveling through the chamber they created, had to hand off some of its energy in order to pass through. They also knew that because of a quirk of physics, two photons traveling through the same space could not hand out their energy to the same particles they came into contact with, at the same time.

Basically they forced an interaction between these photons, which would ordinarily have been impossible, and, so far as we are aware, would not have occurred naturally, by controlling the environment they were placed in, to such a degree that the only energy exchanges they could perform were between one another, the result of which was that they came together to form some weird matter.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

As I understand it they did not form any weird matter. They simply interacted with each other which is normally not something that happens. This isn't about some new type of matter, it's about a way to get photons to interact with each other that will be needed for them to be used in quantum computing.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

nugget1

Makes me think of a passage in the bible about mans' knowledge becoming almost as great as God's, and he was not God, so God destroyed the earth. He promised not to destroy the earth again, until mans' knowledge became that great again......

I have doubts about organised religion because they are constructs of man and often corrupt, however, I have said many times and continue to believe there are a lot of intrinsic truths in the bible.

The main one the bible gives is in denying evil (satan) who believed in himself (itself) as being God, he (it) was not and is not God, hence he (it) was banished from heaven.

In an allegorical sense it is the lesson of mankind to deny satan (evil) and it's ilk, in not believing in itself as God nor acting as if God, or else they will be destroyed.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

new_here

Something tells me they ought not do this. I can't explain why I feel this way, because I don't understand it myself. But something made my blood run cold reading that clip you posted.

I don't know enough about it to even formulate a decent argument it. Does anybody out there understand how I feel?

I guess they shouldn't have messed around when they discovered penicillin, or invented that crazy thing called the wheel....

One day another astroid will inevitably come, or something equally awesome. Hopefully by then the human race would've advanced to a point where they can prevent it, or at least preserve our species in some way.

This advancement is bound to come with dangers and hiccups, but treading water will innevibly lead us the way of the dinosaurs.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

canucks555

managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules -- a state of matter that, until recently, had been purely theoretical.

Truly amazing news - this could lead us to an entirely new understanding of matter and the possibilities of its manifestations that until now have been fantasy.

Does this open the door to the possibility of 'photon based life' ? After all who's to say that photon molecules can't combine to form more complex structures and even life?

Does 'life' have to posses Mass? Our consciousness may stem from an organ that possesses Mass, but do the thoughts that inhabit it posses Mass? The consensus on that would be 'No'.

So could complex light molecule structures project thoughts of their own and thus be conscious - alive?

Life made of light...
Sounds dumb, but now there's avenues of possibility!

The quote above, from the OP, makes me wonder what happens to all that light that's sucked into black holes and is 'bound together' in it's singularity. Is the light destroyed or recycled as molecules and if so where is it? Another dimension made of light? This is starting to sound ever so slightly religious....

edit on 26-9-2013 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Biigs

What if the max speed was increased some how, and you could deliver coded molecules at near light speed. you could not only deliver data but actual matter.... HOLY CRAP bind an electron to it and take data and power... 0.o
edit on 25-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Mixed with some of the bizarre things they've been doing with crystalline structures... this sounds like teleportation to me... or instantaneous communication.... or dare I say self-generating artificial intelligence?

"Beam me up!"
edit on 26-9-2013 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Cool! I love science!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join