It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Cop caught stealing "Repeal SAFE Act" sign from yard repeatedly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

One New York resident had posted such a sign in his yard, advocating for the repeal of the SAFE Act and noticed that at some point in the day the sign had disappeared. He believed it to be his neighbor, who didn’t approve of the sign. So when he put up another sign with the same message, he also attached a trail camera to a nearby tree (designed to take pictures of deer and other animals when triggered by movement). Instead of catching his neighbor, he caught a series of images of a member of his local police department removing lifting the sign from his front lawn.
TTAG , nyfirearms.com

The town is trying to say the sign violated some code but they never took any steps to contact the homeowner about the violation. Just kept stealing his sign. Sounds more like the town got caught and is trying to come up with an excuse for what they were doing. The homeowner is putting in a new sign today and still hasnt gotten any fines or warnings for violating the alleged code.

Nice to know all rights are being violated equally.

edit on 24-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: links

edit on 24/9/13 by JAK because: URL formatting

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
somehow this doesn't even surprise me and that's sad in and of itself. what are we allowing our society to become?

cops have always been and remain the countrys largest gang bangers, hired by municipalities everywhere in order to be thugs and revenue generators, but nowhere in what they do is anyone protected, except themselves.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You know what the problem is with cops? It's their mayors. Vote 'em out of office!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

For those who don't know what the NY SAFE ACT is

The New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013 commonly known as the NY SAFE Act is a gun control law in the state of New York. The law was passed by the New York State Legislature on January 15, 2013, and was signed into law by Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo on the same day.[1]

wiki

Wow, talk about red handed. I wonder if this officer did this upon his own volition, or was requested to perform this public "service".....

I find this very troubling.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

How is this not vandalism and destruction of private property and theft?

Because the guy wears a uniform, thats how.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

MDDoxs

Wow, talk about red handed. I wonder if this officer did this upon his own volition, or was requested to perform this public "service".....

I dont know which would be worse. Rogue cop using his position to impose his will or department/city policy to squelch any SAFE Act dissent.

Appalling either way.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Hrmmm.......
looks like vandalism to me

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Smile! You're on Candid Camera!

Why do I smell a lawsuit coming soon?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

MDDoxs

For those who don't know what the NY SAFE ACT is

The New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013 commonly known as the NY SAFE Act is a gun control law in the state of New York. The law was passed by the New York State Legislature on January 15, 2013, and was signed into law by Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo on the same day.[1]

wiki

I find this very troubling.

really doesn't matter in this case since he was caught red handed stealing private property without a warrant. i suppose this property owner should pursue legal counsel about pressing charges of theft, criminal trespass and i'm sure they could find a few more charges.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I'm inclined to think that its not any kind of stupid code violation.

Otherwise, they would have knocked on his door or sent him a letter.

These Boss Hog towns never pass on an opportunity to oppress the slaves through their never ending fines, rules and regulations.

In the absence of any violation, Officer Klepto took matters into his own hands, literally!

edit on 24-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wrong face, I think...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
He should contact his local Sheriff and get this cop arrested.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So typical, when a citizen is complaining in print or with signage about deleterious legislation, they brazenly show up in uniform during working hours to commit vandalism and theft. A blatant violation of 1st amendment rights and performed in official capacity (no sense in arguing that point since it is even worse than sneaking up in the middle of the night to do it).

I agree, time to go to town hall and remove the official powers of the offices that committed the offenses. Afterwards, you can remove the individual and possibly replace them if necessary. The actors come and go, it is the power that must be removed first before dealing with the official office holder.

edit on 24-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere

The town is trying to say the sign violated some code but they never took any steps to contact the homeowner about the violation. Just kept stealing his sign.

An obvious lie.. Towns find it much more pleasing to give you one week to fix a violation before fining you. If the violation persists past the first fine they will fine you higher.

They are not going to come remove it for free.

They don't like people having opinions that go along with the highest law of the land it seems.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just another example of what we are up against here in NYS. Meanwhile in the courts they are dragging their feet with the many lawsuits filed against the (un)safe act. Most of which won't be heard until after the full effects of the law go into effect. But all has been pretty quiet here for quite a while now, protests did nothing, town hall meetings did nothing, seems the population of NYS is content to let them win. I know I won't roll over for them but the vast majority of citizens seem to be too busy anymore to devote their time to reversing this thing......

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Sign ordinance, huh? Yeah, I've encountered those. Or neighborhood association BS.

I wonder what this town does during election season? No campaign signs that litter EVERYTHING. Is that illegal, too.

What he should do is put a little yard sign of an American flag with the words "Proud American" on it right next to the one that keeps getting taken. See if they take that one too. If so, that would cause even more of a stink. If they only take the "Repeal SAFE Act" sign, then we know for sure...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I see a criminal! Right there! See? Looks like criminal trespass, malicious mischief, destruction of private property, petty theft, dereliction of duty and violation of the homeowners civil rights under collar of authority.

If we lived in a nation based on law these days, that criminal in a cop uniform would have a world of hurt to contend with for what he did there in undermining the US Political system...even if only this little piece of it.

What a loser...and they rely on this crap when they have to call 911? I fear for those town residents. They call a cop and get a corrupt politician with a gun belt.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Also I find it funny that the article felt the need to edit out the image of the firearm from the sign. What is the internet coming to?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I posted a new thread on this when I didn't find it in my search, glad this one is up. Regarding the editing, are you sure it's the same sign as the one the cop took? I would think it's possible he made another, and that is the one with the gun stencil on it.

Some will say the cop was just removing an unapproved sign, but that takes me to the whole other issue of "approved speech". It's not like the sign was this billboard and out of place. This behavior needs to stop. People have a right to put up a sign even if I don't like their position. Why is the left so intolerant?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

What can I say? Some towns have trouble embracing change in the form of intellectual diversity. Others just have trouble embracing change, period. Reminds me of those gated communities that conform to a mould of what their neighbourhood vision should be. If a sign gets in the way of that mould, the police are notified and the sign is discreetly removed without the need of, to borrow a hockey term, "unsportsmanlike conduct."

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If it's on HIS private property, they can't just take the sign, they have to give notice. If it's on a "right of way" City officials, usually code enforcement people, can just take the sign as it's on public property.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join