It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Set to Ban Tattoos Below the Elbow or Knees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm in the military.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

theconspirator

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm in the military.

Me too. What of it.
edit on 23-9-2013 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

So is your small minded opinion.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Then I will repeat myself.

If a military member looks "clean cut", that makes the job of killing people, look better to the public.

The people upstairs don't want us looking like a bunch of killers. They want us to look like respectable, heroic, role models. That makes the job of presenting us as so to the public easier.
edit on 23-9-2013 by theconspirator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

theconspirator

Then I will restate myself.

If a military member looks "clean cut", that makes the job of killing people, look better to the public.

The people upstairs don't want us looking like a bunch of killers. They want us to look like respectable, heroic, role models. That makes the job of presenting us as so to the public easier.

---
Okay, fair enough.
I get where you are coming from, but don't let your personal feelings blind you.
You KNOW, as well as I KNOW that SMA Chandler revised those regulations in part of downsizing the force.
Remember what he said?, "You chose to join the army, the army didn't choose to join you".
Again its all part of downsizing the force, even though he says its not or some tool of attrition, we all know what it really means. come on.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Yeah i agree with you. It's a mix between that, and old rich white guys clinging on to old world morals that have no value in todays changed society. I'm sure the guys at the top who think tattoos are a blemish on the profesional solider's image, also never thought they'd live to see the day openly gay people could join.
These rules will change as those old people die off and the mentality of the younger generation becomes more of the norm.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

--
Yeah, true that. Its only a matter of time though.
I would have never thought the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy would ever see some merit...
But tats? come on, so much for my sleeve.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
any policy that discourages our young men and women from becoming soldiers is perfectly fine with me.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I suggest everyone get tattoos where they are prohibited and not worry about the government ever imposing draft then.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Unity_99
I suggest everyone get tattoos where they are prohibited and not worry about the government ever imposing draft then.

--
But you missed the point, this isn't a DRAFT and if we do have a draft, I can promise you that the tattoo regulation will be waived. PINKY PROMISE!
*takes Unity_99's little pinky and wraps around Arnie123's pinky AND stares into my eyes*
Arnie123: Pinky Promise?
Unity_99: Oh yes! pinky promise!!
Arnie123: okay!!
Unity_99: Wanna go watch StarTrek?
Arnie123: ok!
*Runs off to BigFatFurryTexan's house*
edit on 23-9-2013 by Arnie123 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Tattoos and other body modification is an expression of individuality and rebellion; even though currently it
is such a Fad as to be almost comical.

Still the military mindset is one of conformity, ask no questions and follow orders. If you want to aesthetically express yourself by displaying body art....be a hipster, not a grunt.
edit on 23-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
We need SMA Kidd back

This is what happens when a REMF gets into a power position. The SMA needs to have a pair and say the regulation makes no sense. WTH are they going back to a regulation we had in the 90's?

Get rid of everyone with tattoos.
Get rid of everyone that has less than an Associates.
Contract NERF to make the new series of weapons.

Congratulations, we just became Canada. No offense to the Canadians, but even you know your military is a Yorkie compared to America's Pit-bull. We spent 70 years making a war machine and it took 5 years to destroy it. Kudos

Looks don't make a soldier. I have seen the tall blonde hair all-American quarterback type, piss themselves under fire. I have seen 90 pound women carry 180 pound wounded. Spit and polish makes for a tidy barracks inspection. They want pretty? END THE WARS Soldiers fight wars and soldiers are seldom spit and polish types. That's why they call us G.R.U.N.T.S.

Its two sided really. A definite reduction in force, no doubt about that. Could also be a dig into the combat arms troops. President Obama has dismantled a lot of the senior leadership. This could be the backdoor attack against the junior leadership and enlisted (E-4 mafia LoL). They went after the higher up's retirements. That won't work against a group of soldiers with 4-8 years in. So, go after them in another direction. Makes sense really.

Food for thought at least.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

200Plus
We need SMA Kidd back

This is what happens when a REMF gets into a power position. The SMA needs to have a pair and say the regulation makes no sense. WTH are they going back to a regulation we had in the 90's?

Get rid of everyone with tattoos.
Get rid of everyone that has less than an Associates.
Contract NERF to make the new series of weapons.

Congratulations, we just became Canada. No offense to the Canadians, but even you know your military is a Yorkie compared to America's Pit-bull. We spent 70 years making a war machine and it took 5 years to destroy it. Kudos

Looks don't make a soldier. I have seen the tall blonde hair all-American quarterback type, piss themselves under fire. I have seen 90 pound women carry 180 pound wounded. Spit and polish makes for a tidy barracks inspection. They want pretty? END THE WARS Soldiers fight wars and soldiers are seldom spit and polish types. That's why they call us G.R.U.N.T.S.

Its two sided really. A definite reduction in force, no doubt about that. Could also be a dig into the combat arms troops. President Obama has dismantled a lot of the senior leadership. This could be the backdoor attack against the junior leadership and enlisted (E-4 mafia LoL). They went after the higher up's retirements. That won't work against a group of soldiers with 4-8 years in. So, go after them in another direction. Makes sense really.

Food for thought at least.

--
Damn, you talking about OLD SCHOOL...back when my MOS was a 54B. Yea you can say goodbye to that E4 Mafia, there is no such thing anymore....or even the hardcore super tight NCO core, they all rat each other out, well most do.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The myriad of tattoo places around every military base in the country are going to be very, very sad about this.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

This isn't surprising. You're in the armed services. You wear something called a uniform for a reason, to be uniform. We all wear the same style of hat, slacks, shirts and jackets, we all place our insignia where we're supposed to have them, our gig lines are all supposed to match up... Why? Because we're one.

When I was in the service, I couldn't wear my hair any way I'd like. Same for facial hair. When you're in the armed services, being unique isn't a job description.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

I agree, the brass wants the troops to look professional when they are doing the dirty work for whoever it is that has them all over the world doing unprofessional things for guys that wear suits.
Yet again spending. time thinking of stuff that really doesn't. matter either way instead of thinking of ways to bring our guys and girls back home where they belong.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If a person can kill or be killed for their country they should be allowed to make decisions concerning their own body that will be used to perform such tasks. Within reason.

Professionalism? Tattooing is popular BECAUSE of it's proliferation by military personnel over last century, specifically the US Navy.

They are punishing their own creation. The policies concerning tattoos in the military have been in a constant state of flux for the last 20 years.

Saying tattoos are ugly is like saying that paintings are ugly. Yeah sure, many of them suck and are badly rendered but if someone can't accept the fact that many of them are unique priceless works of art then they are living in a very small, boring and dimly lit world.

If the military wants a robot army then it should build one using robots, not people. Uniformity and conformism, okay I get it, but morale is just as important. Tattoos or not, they still all look like the same bad-ass. That's why they all get a new wardrobe and haircut. That's why they all go to boot camp and basic training.

It's another control mechanism for those already enlisted and a way to curb the flow of new recruits. These policies really are ridiculous. Besides... what of all the troops that already have illicit ink when these policies go into effect? So much for uniformity and professionalism from those putting these policies in place. It is hardly uniform or professional to have a thousand exceptions to the rule running around on base when it's decided to instate new rules.

They already give up enough only to serve. Cut the troops some slack ffs.

I know a guy that was rejected from military service because of his awesome body art. They missed out on having one hell of a fighter. He is in better shape than those turds down at the recruiting office. (Again, professionalism?) He's also a martial arts instructor and expert marksman, if that's not an asset to any war effort then what the hell are they doing out there on the proving grounds?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Then men in uniform are going to begin to hate the people who command them. Are they crazy? Or is this done for a reason.

I think they might be biting off more then they can chew on this one. It is almost like they want people to revolt..........Hmmm. Kinda makes ya wonder just a little bit.

Little things here and there don't look like a plan until you take a few steps back and then it all becomes clear. I honestly believe they are trying to push the population into chaos. The bigger question is WHY. Most people just want to go to work and raise a family. Can't they just help us along that path.
edit on 24-9-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I got out in 1988, and I tell ya, since 1980 the U.S. Military had been turning soldiers into little girls. They were banning cussing in PT cadence, limiting the amount of push-ups a fresh 'cruit could do in a session, and generally feminizing the whole experience. Don't want to be to tuff on them and hurt their sensitivities! Soldiers that enlisted in the 70's and the Nam Vets were shaking there heads at the changes. I agree with the soldier that said they are trying to give the military a more easily digestible public view of the American killing machine...plus, well...you can't have anyone offending anyone else these days. Right here in this forum we can clearly see the opinions and stereotypes of those with tattoos

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Yes, it is ironic that the strongest military the world has ever seen in made up of a bunch of wussies, with a P.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join