It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liars in charge of a democracy near you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Is it any wonder that many of us are cynical, paranoid and down right hostile to our politicians (both prospective and elected) intergrity when the conclusions of studies can be "that lying is an important part of politics in the modern democracy".

www.msnbc.com...

Whatever the motives of a report like this it should be obvious that even from a very local level to the top, rules are bent and lies told. Even if this there is no conspiracy you should worry about this...

[Edited on 18-5-2003 by cassini]

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Now I'm crying. This has to be one of the best reports I've ever read:

Politicians lie, new study shows

Report asserts that lying is key part of democracy

LONDON, May 17 � It�s official. After intensive research, scientists have concluded that politicians lie.

How indepth!!!

Politicians lie???? My God!!! I'm so shocked!!!!
Jeez. If they didn't lie, I would get scared. Every conspiracy theory I've ever heard of would be running through my head. Why? Because they're human beings. Ever since language was invented, people have been telling lies. If politicians didn't lie I'd view them as non human.
And why just democratic politicians. Don't fascists or dictators lie as well? Seems to me that those buggers have had even more to lie about than your usual run of the mill Republican or Democrat.
I'm pretty sure Hitler, Stalin or Saddam told one or two fibs in their time.
This report means nothing. If you expect people to tell you the truth every time you're living in a dream world. It just doesn't happen that way.
Every human being on the planet tells lies.

Except me.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Alright don`t get your knickers twisted! Its not supposed to shock. What is wrong with being honest. May be everybody does tell lies every now and then but I`m sure we don`t go round lie with every other word. The point is that it is so endemic its part of the appartatus, thats not right.

The necessity of keeping some secrets must be expected as some peoples motives are not honest. These peoples motives are n`t and we can`t trust them.

"If you expect people to tell you the truth every time you're living in a dream world. It just doesn't happen that way."

Well, I`m honest with people and they are honest to me, I can`t see why you`d wanna say all that. By telling me to live in the real world your being silly, can `t we aspire to something decent?

If we are to live in a better world, corruption and this type of thing must be cut out and not so blindly accepted or are you happy living in a world of liars.

So your saying its wrong to aspire to honesty?

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Cass, I don't know how it is in Wells, but here in Alabama we take it for granted that the politician lies just about everytime he opens his mouth.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Cassini. Don't get the wrong idea. I think most of the human race aspires to the truth in one form or another. In my opinion though, honesty just doesn't take into account human nature. Show me a man with a tongue and I'll show you a liar. It's impossible to live your life by not telling a lie. OK, the lie you might have to tell may not necessarily be a big one but it's still a lie.
I sincerely respect you for trying to live your life as truthfully as you can but I'm sure you'll admit that it's impossible to be totally honest with everyone.

The reason I have the view that I do about politicians and lying is because of my view of human beings in general. Politics is a game where spoken words or written words are the main weapon of choice. There are hardly any other professions that rely on the use of communication as strongly as politics does. Because we're talking about people communicating with each other, we're talking about them using thier natural skills. Lying is one of those skills. It just comes out into the open more in politics.
I've also got to admit to being one of those people who doesn't mind being lied to now and again if that lie serves my own interest. There are good lies and bad lies and I don't think the report really took that into account either.

Of course, I could also be lying to you about my above opinion but that's the beauty of it!!! Unless you can prove otherwise, I'm telling the truth and it works pretty much the same way for politicians. In the words of Jack Nicholson - "You can't handle the truth!!!"

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
How can you tell when a politician is lying?

HIS LIPS ARE MOVING!!!!

Maybe not 100% of the time but I'd be willing to guess 99.6% wouldn't be a stretch!!

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 11:13 PM
link   
All politicians, liars? How about this:

All politicians are easily bought.

Take for instance my state's governor, Mr. Jim McGreevey. I foolishly voted for the man, and now I regret it. Not only has he spent twice the amount of money for personal reasons that Christine Whitman did, but he has actually scared away all the Automotive insurance agencies rather then getting them to stay here.

Anymore, I don't know *who* to trust. They all accept bribes from special interests, and they only care about increasing the thickness of the green lining in their wallet.

One day, people will wake up and realize how flawed the two party system is. Though I don't think I'll see it happen in my lifetime.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Its like this. If you wan to be a politician you have to sell your soul to the devil. Ethics and character go right out the window.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I really dont understand why this is a major revelation for you. This is one of those truths that are self evident, of the same magnitude as the sun will always rise and set.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 03:03 AM
link   
"Cass, I don't know how it is in Wells, but here in Alabama we take it for granted that the politician lies just about everytime he opens his mouth"

"I really dont understand why this is a major revelation for you. This is one of those truths that are self evident, of the same magnitude as the sun will always rise and set."

Dragonrider its not but although TC may be joking it makes a point. We are all so blase about this it does n`t shock and most people seem comfortable with it. Why? I`ve no idea. These people, depending on country, swear to their people not to lie, cheat or do wrong and what do they lie, cheat and sell us up the river.

Just because you all know its happening does n`t mean you should accept it. Discussing it should be reasonable enough otherwise the politicians have won and they will always get away with it.

top topics

join